Inspire Me Today - Today's Brilliance from Dylan Mahalingam

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2012

      Inspired Quote of the Day™

      We are all unique, have our own strengths and skills, but what good is it if all we can do is accept our diversity? What we really need to do is not only accept and appreciate our differences but leverage our diversity. ~ Dylan Mahalingam

      Today's Brilliance™

      Dylan Mahalingam

      Dylan Mahalingam

      Dylan is the young cofounder of Lil' MDGs, a unique international development and youth empowerment organization.
      If I could share 500 words of wisdom to summarize what I've learned so far in life, these are the important things I'd want to pass along to others...
      In 2006, something that I had been wanting for what felt like forever finally happened. It was the year my family got a dog. We named her Nestlé. I had known that there would be changes when Nestlé joined our family, but there was one change that I never anticipated.
      Before we brought Nestlé home, I remember reading tons of books and watching TV shows like the Dog Whisperer.... My family wanted to know how to take care of our new (and first!) puppy.
      These books told us that we should assert our role as master right from the start. It made perfect sense, until Nestlé actually came home with us. I found myself attending to Nestlé's every little need. I was filling and cleaning her food bowl, making sure she had clean water and taking her out on walks.
      Master? It didn't seem to fit. There she was getting every need taken care of without ever having to lift a paw. I realized that no one can ever call themselves the master of any dog, or any pet for that matter.
      I started thinking about other relationships in my life, and realized that I never was and never will be anyone's master. I will always be serving someone at every moment in my life. I also realized that is true of us all.
      Parents serve children and children serve parents, siblings, and friends. Heads of big corporations serve employees, teachers serve students and principals serve teachers and students. Presidents serve the entire country!
      Bringing Nestlé home ended up being a transforming experience for me. My interactions with Nestlé helped me understand that it does not matter what our title is, what qualifications we possess, which country we are from, or how we view ourselves in comparison to others.
      Our position, no matter who we are or where we live, is and will always be one of service. In fact, as we get older and gather more experience and respect our capacity to serve and help others grows. So if we can all realize and accept that our role will always be one of service, we can all have what we are hankering for - peace.

      A Message from Gail Lynne Goodwin

      Dylan is the latest Luminary in our Inspirational Youth series. Every Saturday we hope to feature an inspiring, amazing young person who's making a difference in the world with their actions. Do you know a young person we should feature? Please let us know by dropping us a line at submissions@...!

      Thank you for reading Today's Brilliance.

      We're honored to be a part of your day. You can help us inspire others by simply passing this along to your friends. Our goal is to share love and inspiration with the world, so please encourage your friends to also sign up for Today's Brilliance at InspireMeToday.com. Sending our thanks, love and hugs to you.
      Share Today's Brilliance:
      Twitter     Facebook

      Inspire Me Today, LLC, P.O. Box 5598, Whitefish, MT 59937