August 3, 2011 Tricycle Daily Dharma Anger and Patience ~ from "Enduring the Fires" by the Dalai Lama

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2011
      aaaaa

      Source:

      August 3, 2011
      Tricycle Daily Dharma
      Anger and Patience

      As a destructive force there is nothing as strong as anger. An instant of anger can destroy all the positive action accumulated over thousands of kalpas through generosity, making offerings to the buddhas, keeping discipline, and so on. So we can say that there is no fault as serious as anger.

      Patience, on the other hand, as a discipline which neutralizes anger, which prevents us from succumbing to it, and which appeases the suffering we endure from the heat of the negative emotions, is quite unrivaled. It is therefore of the utmost importance that we resolve to practice patience, and a lot of inspiration can be gained by reflecting on what is wrong with anger and on the advantages of patience.

      -The Dalai Lama, "Enduring the Fires"