Space Weather News: Incoming CME could spark polar geomagnetic storms (Minor Storm Warning)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2011
      Space Weather News for August 3, 2011
      http://spaceweather.com

      MINOR STORM WARNING: On August 2nd, the sun hurled a cloud of plasma (CME) toward Earth when magnetic fields above sunspot 1261 erupted. Analysts expect the CME to arrive during the early hours of August 5th, possibly sparking geomagnetic storms around the poles.  This is not a big event; the eruption that propelled the cloud in our direction registered only "M1" (for medium) on the Richter Scale of Flares.  Nevertheless, sky watchers at high latitudes should be alert for auroras.  Movies of the eruption and 3D models of the incoming cloud are featured on today's edition of http://spaceweather.com.

      SUNSPOT TELESCOPE:  Several large sunspots are currently transiting the solar disk. Would you like to see them? Explore Scientific's White Light Solar Observing System is now available in the Space Weather Store:
      http://www.shopspaceweather.com/explore-scientific-white-light-solar-observer-system.aspx

      You are subscribed to the Space Weather mailing list, a free service of Spaceweather.com.

      New subscribers may sign up for free space weather alerts at  http://spaceweather.com/services/ .