True Emptiness is not Empty ~ Jack Kornfield

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2011
      Source: BUDDHA BLESS

      The emperor of China asked a renowned Buddhist master if it would be possible to illustrate the naure of self in a visible way. In response, the master had a sixteen-sided room appointed with floor-to-ceiling mirrors that faced on another exactly. In the centre he hung a candle aflame. When the emperor entered he could see the individual candle flame in thousands of forms, each of the mirrors extending it far into the distance. Then the master replaced the candle with a small crystal. The emperor could see the small crystal reflected again in every direction. When the master pointed closely at the crystal, the emperor could see the whole room of thousands of crystals reflected in each tiny facet of the crystal in the center. The master showed how the smallest particle contains the whole universe.

      True emptiness is not empty, but contains all things. The mysterious and pregnant void creates and reflects all possibilities. From it arises individuality, which can be discovered and developed, although never possessed or fixed. The self is held in no-self, as the candle flame is held in great emptiness.

      Jack Kornfield