War on Wolves Resumes. We're Suing.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2009
      Save wolves for only $10
a month.

      We’re Suing to
      Stop the Next
      Massacre of Wolves
      Wolf pups could be caught in the crossfire this fall.
      More than 500 wolves could be gunned down when public hunts begin. NRDC is filing suit today for the sake of wolf survival. Help us win this critical case by making a monthly pledge right now.
      Become a NRDC Monthly Giving Partner

      I wanted you to be among the first to know that NRDC is filing suit in federal court this morning to prevent the massacre of hundreds of wolves in the Northern Rockies in the months ahead.

      We have no choice. The Obama Administration has adopted a Bush-era plan that strips vital Endangered Species Act protection from some 1,200 wolves in Montana and Idaho.

      Those two states are now preparing public hunts that could leave hundreds of wolves dead.

      Their last, best chance of survival is the lawsuit we're filing in federal court today. But we need your help to come to their rescue.

      We must have a steady source of reliable funding to win a prolonged legal battle. I'm urging you to become an NRDC Monthly Partner today and help us give wolves a fighting chance.

      Unless we prevail in court, you can expect to see a bloodbath in the Northern Rockies this year. When wolves lost their federal protection in 2008, 110 of them were gunned down in just 120 days. The slaughter stopped only after NRDC intervened in court.

      Now we must come to their defense again.

      Wolves in Greater Yellowstone are already suffering. Over this past year, the wolf population in Yellowstone National Park declined by 27 percent -- and wolf pups in the park are dying of a yet-to-be-determined disease.

      This is the worst possible moment to tear away their Endangered Species Act protection and sacrifice hundreds of these noble creatures to hunters.

      And that's why 230 scientists have asked the Interior Department not to go down this path.

      The reintroduction of wolves to the Northern Rockies was shaping up to be one of America's greatest conservation success stories. But now it threatens to devolve into massacre ... unless you and I force the Interior Department to call off the guns now.

      Please become an NRDC Monthly Partner today and play a frontline role in saving hundreds of wolves from this tragic and senseless slaughter.

      You'll be joining with thousands of other caring people who are coming to the rescue of wolves with contributions of as little as $5 a month.

      And your monthly pledge will help give us the steady support we need to wage this courtroom battle for as long as it takes to block this disastrous Bush-era plan once and for all.

      The wolves of the Northern Rockies are making a last stand right now. Don't let the government drag them back to the brink of extinction.

      Sincerely,
      Frances
      Frances Beinecke
      President
      Natural Resources Defense Council

      P.S. We'll be in court today. That means we need your pledge of support just as soon as possible to give hundreds of wolves the life-saving defense they so urgently need and deserve.

      We appreciate the opportunity to communicate with you and other NRDC BioGems Defenders. We are committed to protecting your privacy and will NEVER sell, exchange or rent your email address.