New Scientist: The bizarre universe lurking in the shadows

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2009
      Careers Guide
      NewScientist
      This week's top stories from the web's No.1 science and technology news service
      Dear New Scientist Reader, welcome to the New Scientist newsletter. This week, we reveal new clues to the identity of dark matter, why Obama is taking the biggest science punt in history, and why we might all end up eating deep-fried jellyfish...
      Subscribe to New Scientist magazine
      Anil Ananthaswamy
      Anil Ananthaswamy, New Scientist consultant
      A Bizarre Universe May Be Lurking In The Shadows

      A mysterious substance called dark matter has troubled cosmologists trying to understand the universe for years. Now there are tantalising signs that we know what it is - and it is turning out to be even weirder than anyone thought...MORE

      Obama goes 'all in' for science

      ER 2.0: Robots team up for surgery

      Gallery: F1 technology spins off into the real world Video

      Inbreeding sabotages rare species' sperm

      Beads get ball rolling on avalanche prediction

      Quantum superheroes: The science of Watchmen

      Ancient supernovae may be recorded in Antarctic ice

      Victorian rule of thumb beats genetic prediction

      Gutsy bloodworms pump out laughing gas

      Gallery: 12 bizarre devices from medicine's dark past Video

      Innovation: How social networking might change the world

      AND FINALLY ...
      This week's Feedback reveals the winner of our non-Darwinisms competition, and a selection of the best things that Darwin would never have said...MORE

      How did whales and dolphins evolve their breathing holes? Find out, in this week's Last Word column...MORE

      NEW SCIENTIST JOBS
      incorporating SCIENCEJOBS.COM

      Jobs With
      Visit our job site for the latest in
      science, engineering and technology.
      TOP VIDEOS

      Bug-eyed fish reveals oldest fossil brain Video

      OUR TOP BLOG POSTS

      Human fails Turing test

      Apollo 9: Paving the road to the Moon

      The Last Word: How do traditional Inuit avoid scurvy?

      Beyond east and west: How the brain unites us all
      The way we think may be shaped by the culture in which we grow up, but the similarities between groups are far greater than the differences, says Ed Yong

      Why Facebook is good for you
      Do social networking sites cause loneliness and poor health? If anything it's the reverse, says Michael Marshall

      NEWS
      Cannibalistic Jupiter ate its early moons
      Kill the inflammation, kill the HIV?
      3D printer churns out replica thumb bones

      SPECIAL SUBSCRIPTION OFFER

      Disclaimer

      This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information, which is privileged and confidential. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or any of its content by any person other than the Intended Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If you are not the Intended Recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible.

      Reed Business Information Limited.
      Registered Office: Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey, SM2 5AS.
      Registered in England under Company No. 0151537