What I Learned About Candles

  • Grace Hope
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2009
      I once worked for a candle company and the following are my notes on candles in case you would be interested.

      What I learned about candles:

      The darker the color, the longer it will last as the flame takes longer to consume darker pigment.

      Mulberry, Plum and Raspberry scented candles work best to eliminate strong odors like fried fish.

      Any lit candle will clear the air of the smell of cigarette smoke.

      Lit candles can eliminate humidity in a room.

      You can use a fine mesh stocking such as an old nylon sock to polish candles and give them back their sheen.

      To avoid the fading of candles, store them in a cool, dark and dry place.

      Votive holders clean easily if you sprinkle salt at the bottom before burning the votive.

      To remove wax from votive holders, place holders in freezer for 1 hr until wax pops out (I'm referring to soft to medium
      soft wax- not rock-hard wax- companies make their candles differently). Make sure glass is cool before placing in freezer and at room temperature before lighting a new votive.

      Don't purchase thin-glassed candle or votive holders as they will pop and break to the heat of the candle.

      If you purchase a cheap-branded candle in a jar, extinguish the flame before it reaches the bottom or the jar will pop and break due to the heat.

      Tealights burn between 4-6 hours.

      Votives burn between 8-10 hours.

      Floater candles burn between 3-5 hours.

      Big square pillars burn between 55-60 hours.

      Slim Tapers burn between 2-3 hours.

      Dinner candles burn approximately 45 minutes per inch. So, around 7 1/2 hours.

      Big pillar candles burn 14 hours per vertical inch. These candles should be burned long enough to liquify the edges or you'll wind up with a cylinder effect. Bell-top pillars may leak within 5-10 minutes in burning the top part.

      Ball candles (the size of your palm) will burn between 20-24 hours.

      Big barrel jars will burn approximately 55 hours.

      Big trumpet jars will burn approximately 33 hours.

      Big tulip jars will burn approximately 30 hours.

      Never leave a candle burning unattended. Extinguish flame before falling asleep or leaving the room.

      Keep them out of reach of children and pets.

      Burn them at least one foot away from curtains.

      Air currents, uneven surfaces, and candles grouped too closely together may cause unnecessary dripping and burning that is faster than normal. A group of candles should be at least 2" apart to encourage a safe and proper burn.

      Burn in the proper candleholders to avoid disaster.

      Do not burn candles on surfaces that generate heat, e.g. stoves or near flammable or combustible materials like hairspray bottles.

      Trim wicks 1/4" before each lighting and keep it centered so the candle will burn evenly throughout instead of the wick leaning to one side and burning mostly one side down, making it leak. Also, if the wick burns toward one side, the close excessive heat can cause the candleholder to crack (if made of crystal or glass).

      Remove carbon balls and foreign matter such as match sticks or they will become a second wick and cause dripping and uneven burning.