DailyOM: New Year's Resolutions: The Two Lists

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2008
      The moment I read down to the very last word brought such an echo within my own heart, mind and essence. Love. This sums the totality of all existence throughout all dimensions, all planes. There is our Ultimate "Resolution" or perhaps I would be better in saying who we are. LOVE for in Love, Through Love and Being Love We are not as love but We Are Love. Namaste
      Today's DailyOM brought to you by:

      December 31, 2008
      New Year's Resolutions: The Two Lists
      A Message from DailyOM Co-Founder Scott Blum
      I was fortunate to spend time with an enigmatic man named Robert during a very special period of my life. Robert taught me many things during our days together, and this time of year reminds me of one particular interaction we had.

      "Now that you are becoming more aware," Robert said, "you need to begin to set goals for yourself so you don't lose the momentum you have built."

      "Like New Year's resolutions?" I asked.

      "That's an interesting idea," he smirked. "Let's do that."

      By then I was used to his cryptic responses, so I knew something was up because of the way his eyes sparkled as he let out an impish laugh.

      "Tonight's assignment is to make two lists," Robert continued. "The first is a list of all the New Year's resolutions you WANT to keep, and the second is a list of all the New Year's resolutions you WILL keep. Write the WANT List first, and when you have exhausted all of your ideas, then write the second list on another sheet of paper."

      That night I went home and spent several hours working on the two lists. The WANT List felt overwhelming at first, but after a while I got into writing all the things I had always wanted to do if the burdens of life hadn't gotten in the way. After nearly an hour, the list swelled to fill the entire page and contained nearly all of my ideas of an ideal life. The second list was much easier, and I was able to quickly commit ten practical resolutions that I felt would be both realistic and helpful.

      The next day, I met Robert in front of the local food Co-op, where we seemed to have most of our enlightening conversations. "Tell me about your two lists," Robert said as the familiar smirk crept onto his face.

      "The first list contains all the things I SHOULD do if I completely changed my life to be the person I always wanted to be. And the second list contains all the things I COULD do by accepting my current life, and taking realistic steps towards the life I want to lead."

      "Let me see the second list," he said.

      I handed him the second list, and without even looking at it, he ripped the paper into tiny pieces and threw it in the nearby garbage can. His disregard for the effort I had put into the list annoyed me at first, but after I calmed down I began to think about the first list in a different light. In my heart, I knew the second list was a cop out, and the first list was the only one that really mattered.

      "And now, the first list." Robert bowed his head and held out both of his hands.

      I purposefully handed him the first list and held his gaze for several seconds, waiting for him to begin reading the page. After an unusually long silence, he began to crumple the paper into a ball and once again tossed it into the can without looking at it.

      "What did you do that for?!" I couldn't hide my anger any longer.

      Robert began to speak in a quiet and assured voice. "What you SHOULD or COULD do with your life no longer matters. The only thing that matters, from this day forward, is what you MUST do."

      He then drew a folded piece of paper from his back pocket and handed it to me.

      I opened it carefully, and found a single word floating in the middle of the white page:

      For more information visit ScottBlum.net
      What do you think?
      Discuss this article and share your opinion
      Want more DailyOM?
      Register for your free email, or browse all articles
       A Message from DailyOM Co-Founder Scott Blum
      Share the OM:
      Email this to a friend
      Printable version
      Save in My DailyOM
      Discuss this article
      Today's friend of OM:
      If you are not moving steadily in the direction of what you say you want, you can be certain that you are sabotaging yourself somewhere. In the Overcoming Self-Sabotage on-line course from #1 New York Times best-selling author Debbie Ford, you will learn 14 key lessons to help you overcome self-sabotage.
      For more information visit Dailyom.com/courses
      Home | Gift Shop | My DailyOM | Marketplace | Community | Archives | Share The OM | Contact Us
      Subscribe | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Gift Shop FAQ | Advertising Info
      Make DailyOM Your Homepage | Link To Us | Publish DailyOM On Your Website
      © 2004-08 DailyOM - All Rights Reserved
      No portion of this site can be reprinted without express permission
      Artwork by Wang Chang-Ming