Love's Universe by Kabir Helminski

  • nicolai73
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 5:52 AM
       In the Sufi tradition these words are attributed to the Creator, the Source of our being:
      I was a hidden treasure and I longed to be known,
      so I created both worlds, the visible and the invisible,
      in order that my hidden treasure of generosity and lovingkindness would be known.

      This universe is an expression of love. We live in an ocean of Love, but because it is so near to us, we sometimes need to be shocked, hurt, or experience some loss in order to be aware of the nearness and importance of love. A little fish was told that without water it could not live and it became very afraid. It swam to its mother and, trembling, told her about the need for water. The mother said, "Water, my darling, is what we're swimming in."

      I have known people to go through exactly this experience through their contact with the Way of Love. One person expressed it to me this way: "I used to believe that compassion was something within myself and other human beings, but I was not convinced that this compassion existed outside of ourselves. Our work together has made it clear that compassion is outside of ourselves and that is why we also find it within. We are living in it!"

      Every being and thing in creation is set in motion by love

      The planets revolve around the sun and the sun radiates its energy to the planets. Atoms are held in a delicate but immensely powerful balance by love. Every species has its own form of love or desire which motivates it. Every human being has its own unique form of love through which it approaches life. Everything is seeking union with the object of its desire. And all of these desires are the derivatives of one Love.

      Perhaps this morning you wanted some Ceylon tea and fresh bread. Later you had a hunger for some soup and salad. In the evening you had stir-fried vegetables over rice and blueberries with cream for desert. The motivation behind all of these was the hunger of the body. In the same way, Love is the motivation behind every yearning.

      We believe that we love this or that, but the fundamental Love is the pure experience Being. This Being, this isness, is the fundamental energy and substance of the universe. When we are in a state of presence, fully awake and alive, we are open to this isness, to Being, and since the essence of this Being is the Love that created existence, our experience of Being is Love.

      Love is seeking to discover itself

      This describes what is happening in all of life. We come into this world, and we experience a profound forgetfulness; we are asleep. Everything that happens from then on is the process of waking up to the fact that Love brought us here, that we are loved by a Beneficent Unseen Reality, and that the core of our being is Love. The whole purpose and meaning of creation is to discover the secret of Love.

      The experience of love is the most fulfilling and important experience we can have, the highest of all values. We can't compare love to anything. It is its own meaning and its own criteria. Since everything is explained by something subtler than what is being explained, nothing can explain love because love itself is the subtlest of all things we can experience.

      Love is seeking us. Love brought us here, whether we know it or not. Love nudges us to make plans, to seek relationship, to create the possibility of a meeting of hearts. It puts the pen to paper; it puts a word on the tongue. Love is not the goal of anything; it is the cause of everything.

      See how the hand is invisible while the pen is writing; the horse careening, yet the rider is unseen; the arrow flying, but the bow out of sight; individual souls existing, while the Soul of souls is hidden. Rumi, Mathnawi II,1303-4

      The Sufis know that Love is the most active, the most powerful force in the universe. Love is always acting on us. We think we are the creators and directors of our lives, but our actions may be just the slightest visible signs of a process that is vast and invisible. We know only a fragment of what can be seen; what is of the unseen we know very little. Like children we are unconscious of all the forces and factors that sustain us, care for us, that guide our life and our world.

      The spiritual life requires a reversal of our usual egoistic thinking and wanting. We believe that we are seeking, but what if it is Love itself that is the seeker? Rumi says, "Abundance is seeking the beggars and the poor, just as beauty seeks a mirror. Beggars, then, are the mirrors of God's abundance, and they who are with God are united with absolute abundance."

      The idea that we live in Love's Universe may seem a sentimental and naive proposition to some people. Why then do we live in a world of such injustices and horrors?

      Life brings us very real suffering, and this suffering can be the cause of some doubt about the Beneficence of life. Often when we are in the midst of our suffering we cannot see a purpose in it. We may lose our trust in the meaning of life. The soul faces a critical choice at this point: whether to be embittered by reality or to allow the pain of life to reorient us to a deeper truth, to help us form a connection to a reality beyond space, time, and even beyond our individual selves.

      The idea that we live in a universe created by love is anything but sentimental and naive, because it does not deny the pain of life but embraces this complex reality with all its contradictions. We see that we are turned from one feeling to another and taught by means of opposites and contrasts.

      He alone has the right to break,
      for he alone has the power to mend.
      He that knows how to sew together
      knows how to tear apart:
      whatever He sells,
      He buys something better in exchange.
      He lays the house in ruins;
      then in a moment He makes it more liveable than before.
      Rumi, Mathnawi I, 3882

      Sometimes we need to be shocked out of our complacency and indifference to know the reality of love. We need to find a way to restore the proper perspective. We need to be reminded of the centrality of love.

      Without becoming passive, we must stop resisting and submit to love. We begin to see the infinite power of Love as the greatest cause in the universe and little by little we begin to serve it. Eventually, we begin to see that even a bitter drink is sweet when it is from the Beloved.

      Knowing that Love is the master of the universe helps us to accept and learn from every experience. Knowing that there is an eternal dimension residing here in intimate association with material existence will begin to free us from fears. When we are less governed by negative thoughts about God's creation, we will be freed from many fears.