Thalkad's temple under sand

  • Ambika
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2008
      Dear friends,

      About ten years ago I visited Thalkad, a remote town in the state of Karnataka (perhaps near or in Bangalore, I'm not sure of it) and I saw a temple that's half-sunk into the sand. I'm aware of the vague history of this place...something about a woman's curse that turned a lot of this town into sand, causing the temple to sink. This temple is apparently lifted up to its foundation on ground level every year on Shivaratri. When I went there, I saw the temple half sunk and I noticed how beautifully the rays of the South Indian sun glazed into the windows and onto the cool and natural floor of the temple inside. Very close to this place is a town called Somnathpur, which holds a very famous historic temple caled Somnathpur Temple.

      I came across the pictures of the temple at Thalkad years ago, but never again. Does anyone know where I can find them? Does anyone know more about Thalkad and its sandyness? If you do, please let me know.

      Thank you and God bless,

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
      A Smarter Inbox.