A Season for Nonviolence

  • Alishaya
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008

      Eleanor Roosevelt urged, "You must do the things that you think you cannot do."

      Greetings Everyone!

      A Season for Nonviolence has begun (January 30 through April 4) and we would like to invite you to share with us "64 Ways to Inspire Peace in 64 Days Campaign."  Remember the more that gather in Love, the stronger the force becomes, the more "real" it is.

      I have the Strength of Water and the Courage of Light.

      The Voice for Peace & 2007 Humanitarian Award Recipient for Excellence in International Community Outreach

      Member of Gender and Water Alliance -- The Netherlands

      http://www.peaceoftheworld.org

      Peace of the World International's WISH LIST:   Emergency & First Aid supplies, Resources to feed 100 children 2 meals a day for 6 months, Laptop Computer with Satellite internet access, Anti-bacterial Soap, Mosquito Nets

      The focus for this first day in A Season for Nonviolence is "Courage".

      Nonviolence begins with learning how to be less violent and more compassionate towards ourselves. We learn by building the courage to speak and act with respect, honor and reverence for our own being.

      Today's Affirmation:

      Today, I contemplate Mahatma Gandhi's statement:

          "Be the Change You Wish to See in the World."   I am looking today at all of the above statements from the perspective of "Courage."  Mrs. Roosevelt's suggestion is one that must have been a mantra inside the heads of my parents as I saw them move obstacles daily to make a way for me to be who and what I am today.  But, when I think on myself and what it is that (I think) I cannot do, it causes me to struggle with ideas of wealth, personal status, position, and other outer vehicles of transportation.

       With Kenya being our first Satellite and future home of Peace of the World International, we had great plans and hopes for all of our futures.  As conditions worsened in Kenya after their election in December, in my mind, I saw our Road to Peace Walk being cancelled.  All the hard work and excitement dwindling with each passing day.  Fear entered in and took the seat of Peace.  As grave imaginings surfaced, Peace took Courage to reclaim it's place saying "Enough!  I am like Light and where I abide darkness will not rest!"  Assertion is not aggression.

      It takes courage to be at peace in the face of war and conflict.  We may think we cannot but we can.  When Peace reclaimed her seat in my mind...life...world, I saw myself on the Road to Peace Walk in Malawi.  See yourself on the Road to Peace.  It begins somewhere and that somewhere can be anywhere you want it to be.  Take Courage, Respect and Honor and let us be on our way down the Road to Peace.

       As time permits, I would like to hear your reflections on this message. PeaceoftheWorldEdith@...

       Please consider becoming a member of http://www.peaceoftheworld.org  with a nominal donation of $25.00, you will help the children of Kenya, a country being torn apart with internal conflicts brought about because of external influences.  Green stands for healing, help us help them!  The 25.00 will entitle you to receive our monthly newsletter with informative, educational and interesting original articles.

      Day 2 – During A Season for Nonviolence

      Today's Focus:  SMILING (Jan. 31) Reflecting on what Peace means to me.

      Buddhist teacher Thich Nhat Hanh said,

      "If in our daily life we can smile…not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work."

      Affirmation:

      Today, I share a smile with at least three people, knowing that something as small as my smile contributes to peace in the world.

      I suppose that most of us take our smiles for granted never realizing that this little muscle action can really be a high point in someone's day.  At times, I ask myself, will my frowning do anything except cause wrinkles on my face? [smile]  Does sulking make me feel any better or make the challenge or problem go away?

      Sometimes, I am able to really forget myself and in an instant, just laugh out loud at how foolish I've been thinking that upset would solve anything or contribute to a positive outcome.

      I have a friend (Bishop Starr) whose whole life goal is to find Joy everywhere she can.  Surely often she brings smiles into situations that would challenge many of us.  We call her JoyCreator!  I recommend you listen to one of our conversations (Managing Your Days with Joy) by going to http://www.destinyslightradio.com/theright2.html.

      And may I further recommend that you take authority over your situation(s) and as often as you can, Smile.
      An Individual's Journey - A Guide for Daily Practice

      Whether you know it or not, you have answered the Call to be an instrument for peace in our world!  Peace is an individual journey to the heart of ourselves.

      As you embark and commit to the 64 Days/64 Ways – commit to a daily morning practice that includes reading the affirmation of the day; meditating on the affirmation; and then journaling (writing) the discoveries that appear to you during your meditation.  Throughout the day, repeat the affirmation of the day, and take a minute to breathe in the essence of the words.  At the end of the day, allow yourself to reflect upon your day – see the difference your practice has made in your life, and the lives of those around you.

      The 64 Day Journey, is a daily commitment to yourself, your family and friends, and the communities you participate (work, school, Church and more) - - ultimately the World.

      Know, "you are the change you are seeking in the world," a blessing to all!

      * A Season for Nonviolence *

      Compassionate Activism for Global Healing

      AFFIRMATIONS FOR NON-VIOLENCE TOWARD SELF

      Day 1, Jan 30 :    Today, I contemplate Mahatma Gandhi's statement:

          "Be the Change You Wish to See in the World."

      Day 2, Jan 31 :    Today, I reflect on what peace means to me.

      Day 3, Feb 1:     Today, I eliminate all self-deprecating joking and sarcasm.

      Day 4, Feb 2:     Today, I affirm my value and worth with positive "self talk" and refuse to put myself down.

      Day 5, Feb 3:     Today, I strive to learn from my mistakes without self-criticism or judgment.

      Day 6, Feb 4 :    Today, I forgive myself.

      Day 7, Feb 5:     Today, I practice self-compassion.

      Day 8, Feb 6:     Today, I let go of one thought or behavior that no longer serves my highest concept of myself.

      Day 9, Feb 7:     Today, I live in the present moment and release the past.

      Day 10, Feb 8 :      Today, I find one way to "treat" myself to a peace-filled experience.

      AFFIRMATIONS FOR NON-VIOLENCE IN CLOSE RELATIONSHIPS

      Day 11, Feb 9:         Today, I cause a ripple effect of good by an act of kindness toward another.

      Day 12, Feb 10 :    Today, I choose to be aware of what I talk about and I refuse to gossip.

      Day 13, Feb 11:     Today, I hold no one hostage to the past, seeing each as a work in process.

      Day 14, Feb 12:    Today, I reflect on whom I need to forgive and take at least one-step in that direction.

      Day 15, Feb 13 :    Today, I practice compassion and forgiveness by apologizing to someone whom I have hurt.

      Day 16, Feb 14:     Today, I make a conscious effort to smile at someone whom I have held a grudge against.

      Day 17, Feb 15:     Today, I take time to tell a family member or friend how much they mean to me.

      AFFIRMATIONS FOR NON-VIOLENCE IN MY COMMUNICATION

      Day 18, Feb 16:    Today, I tell the truth and speak honestly from the heart.

      Day 19, Feb 17:    Today, I speak with kindness, respect, and patience to every person that I talk with on the telephone.

      Day 20, Feb 18:    Today, I talk less and listen more.

      Day 21, Feb 19:    Today, I recognize that my words and actions directly affect others.

      Day 22, Feb 20:    Today, I greet this day--everyone and everything--with openness and acceptance as if I were encountering them for the first time.

      Day 23, Feb 21:     Today, I practice praise rather than criticism.

      Day 24, Feb 22:    Today, I send a kind, anonymous message to someone.

      AFFIRMATIONS FOR NON-VIOLENCE IN RECREATION

      Day 25, Feb 23:     Today, I become aware of the violence I expose myself to on a daily basis and take steps to eliminate those sources.

      Day 26, Feb 24:     Today, l turn off anything that portrays or supports violence

       whether on television, in the movies, or on the Internet.

      Day 27, Feb 25:     Today, I chose activities for recreation that involve peace and invite others to join me in the experience.

      Day 28, Feb 26:     Today, I constructively channel my anger, frustration, or jealousy into healthy physical activities (i.e., doing sit-ups, picking up trash, taking a walk, etc).

      Day 29, Feb 27:     Today I write one email or letter to friends inspiring non-violence in their choices regarding recreation.

      Day 30, Feb 28:     Today, I say "No" to ideas or actions that violate me or others.

      Day 31, Mar 1:      Today, I consciously choose each thought and activity and affirm peace and tranquility for myself and others.

      Day 32, Mar 2:      Today I choose to compassionately encourage a child to notice and eliminate the sources of violence in his/her life.

      AFFIRMATIONS FOR NON-VIOLENCE IN MY PERSPECTIVE OF OTHERS

      Day 33, Mar 3:     Today I operate from the "law of love" instead of the "law of destruction" in all my interactions with others.

      Day 34, Mar 4:     Today, I look beyond stereotypes and prejudices.

      Day 35, Mar 5:     Today, I strive to understand and respect another culture.

      Day 36, Mar 6:    Today, I seek the light of divinity within all people, even in the appearance of darkness.

      Day 37, Mar 7:    Today, I take time to appreciate the people who provide me with challenges in my life, knowing they are providing me with opportunities to heal.

      Day 38, Mar 8:    Today, I learn a prayer or spiritual practice from another tradition that seems strange or different to me.

      Day 39, Mar 9:    Today, I KNOW and live my Unity with all living beings!

      AFFIRMATIONS FOR NON-VIOLENCE IN DAILY LIVING

      Day 40, Mar 10:    Today, I drive with tolerance and patience.

      Day 41, Mar 11:    Today I appreciate my boss or my teacher.

      Day 42, Mar 12:    Today I smile at all whom I see.

      Day 43, Mar 13:    Today, I treat the elderly I encounter with respect and dignity.

      Day 44, Mar 14:    Today, I treat all children with care, knowing that I serve as a

      model for them.

      Day 45, Mar 15:    Today, I listen with an open heart to at least one person.

      Day 46, Mar 16:     Today, I interact with my family in a relaxed and peaceful manner.

      AFFIRMATIONS FOR NON-VIOLENCE IN WORK

      Day 47, Mar 17:    Today, I see my co-workers in a new light, with understanding and compassion.

      Day 48, Mar 18:    Today, I am open to other ways of thinking and acting that are different from my own.

      Day 49, Mar 19:    Today, I think of at least three alternate ways I can handle a situation when confronted with conflict.

      Day 50, Mar 20:    Today, I work to help others resolve differences.

      Day 51, Mar 21:    Today, I express my feeling honestly and nonviolently and with respect for myself and others.

      Day 52, Mar 22:    Today, I set an example of a peacemaker by promoting nonviolent responses.

      Day 53, Mar 23:    Today, I set the intention to approach work with peace and prepare for a week of being a light in my workplace.

      AFFIRMATIONS FOR NON-VIOLENCE FOR MOTHER EARTH

      Day 54, Mar 24:     Today, I take time to admire and appreciate nature.

      Day 55, Mar 25:     Today, I practice nonviolence and respect for Mother Earth by making good use of her resources.

      Day 56, Mar 26:     Today, I appreciate the earth's bounty and all of those who work to make food available to me.

      Day 57, Mar 27:     Today, I plant seeds--plants or constructive ideas.

      Day 58, Mar 28:    Today I practice non-violence by protecting and nurturing all life: plant, animal, and human.

      Day 59, Mar 29:    Today I donate my time or resources to nurturing life on our planet.

      Day 60, Mar 30:     Today, I hold a vision of plenty for all the world's hungry and am open to guidance as to how I can help alleviate some of that hunger.

      AFFIRMATIONS FOR NON-VIOLENCE IN OUR WORLD

      Day 61, Mar 31:    Today, I honor all the leaders throughout the world with peace, love and prayer.

      Day 62, Apr 1:     Today, I acknowledge every human being's fundamental right to justice, equity, and equality.

      Day 63, Apr 4:    Today, I serve humanity by dedicating myself to a vision greater than myself.

      Day 64, Apr 5:    Today I celebrate PEACE IN THE WORLD NOW!