Gratitude "I Am Grateful"

  • nicolai73
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2007
      Gratitude equals wealth. Wealth equals gratitude. You've probably
      heard one of those expressions before… or at least something
      similar. Certainly the connection seems true on an internal,
      emotional level. It's hard to imagine feeling wealthy without also
      being grateful. And if you're truly grateful, you probably feel
      wealthy as well, regardless of your actual circumstances.

      Because of this apparent connection between wealth and gratitude,
      many so-called wealth experts suggest that if you want to increase
      your wealth, you should focus on being more grateful. This sounds
      pretty good on the surface and meshes well with the Law of
      Attraction. The idea is that by feeling more grateful, you'll feel
      more wealthy and thereby attract more abundance into your life.

      Having tested this for myself extensively, I found there was an
      effective way to practice gratitude and an ineffective way.
      Unfortunately, the ineffective way is much more obvious, and I was
      stuck with that form of gratitude for many years. But eventually I
      progressed towards a deeper understanding of gratitude and found a
      more effective way to practice it, one that yielded much greater
      external abundance as well.

      First, I'll address the ineffective form of gratitude. Let's call it
      Level 1 Gratitude. This is gratitude for your possessions and your
      immediate circumstances. It's the kind of gratitude we learn as
      children: Thank you for the gift, for the candy, for the trip to
      park, etc. When you practice this as an adult, it spawns thoughts of
      gratitude for things like:

      a roof over your head
      your material possessions
      a car that runs
      your health
      your relationships
      your family
      your job
      your skills
      the holidays
      Note that Level 1 Gratitude goes beyond material possessions. It's
      the default form of gratitude you're likely to come up with when you
      attempt to make a list of things to be grateful for.

      I'm not suggesting there's anything bad or wrong with this form of
      gratitude. It's certainly better than having thoughts of scarcity.
      However, in terms of activating the Law of Attraction, its
      effectiveness is relatively weak.

      Often when people attempt to use Level 1 Gratitude, it's because
      they're actually feeling complacent or negative about their
      circumstances, but they're trying to look on the bright side and
      build some positive momentum. If you've ever expressed gratitude by
      starting with the words "at least," you know what I mean. At least I
      have my health. At least I have a roof over my head. At least I
      have a vacation coming up.

      The underlying message is: What I have is OK, and I can temporarily
      feel grateful about it if I push myself to do so, but genuine
      gratitude isn't my default feeling because ultimately my
      circumstances just aren't that exciting. More often than not, they
      leave me feeling empty or complacent rather than grateful.

      When I choose to do so, I can notice my life circumstances and feel
      grateful for them. I can feel grateful for my marriage, my kids, my
      house, my career, my friendships and so on. The essence of the
      experience is no different than when I found myself in far less
      abundant circumstances.

      Even when your overall circumstances seem negative, you can still
      temporarily pop into a state of Level 1 Gratitude just by changing
      your focus. For some people this can be the catalyst for a major
      attitude change, but in most situations it only provides a temporary
      reprieve with no major lasting benefit.

      The reason Level 1 Gratitude usually fails to trigger the Law of
      Attraction is that Level 1 is too weak. It's like drinking
      synthehol – it has no bite. You can enjoy this state of gratitude
      temporarily, but overall you'll remain stuck in your old patterns.
      Level 1 Gratitude is fragile since all it takes to knock you out of
      state is a change in circumstances or a change in your focus. Even
      getting the mail can kill it.

      Let's proceed to Level 2 Gratitude. I think of this as "holistic
      gratitude" because it's independent of situations and circumstances.
      This is a feeling of gratitude for life itself, for existence, for
      anything and everything you experience. But rather than being a
      temporary emotion that requires constant focus, Level 2 Gratitude is
      more of an underlying attitude. With practice it becomes part of
      your identity.

      Level 2 Gratitude encompasses everything in Level 1, but Level 2 goes
      beyond that to include being grateful for:

      your life
      the universe
      time and space
      your problems, challenges, and hardships
      your foibles and mistakes
      your consciousness
      your ego
      people who treat you unkindly or unfairly
      your thoughts and emotions
      your freedom of choice
      ideas and concepts
      Level 2 Gratitude says, "How wonderful it is to exist!"
      Circumstances are irrelevant because this form of gratitude is a
      choice that needs no justification. It is a sense of utter
      fascination with the very notion of existence.

      You become grateful for the adventure that is life, including all of
      its twists and turns. This form of gratitude is synonymous with
      unconditional love because there is no attachment to circumstances or
      outcomes. Consequently, there is no fear of loss or change.

      Level 2 Gratitude is like having a constant echo in the back of your
      consciousness saying, "Wow!" Everything else is experienced on top
      of that Wow. Gratitude becomes the canvas upon which your life is
      painted.

      Perhaps the closest analogy I can offer is to imagine playing a video
      game. The game is totally state-of-the-art. You're amazed by the
      graphics, the music, the gameplay, the characters, etc. It doesn't
      matter so much if you win or lose because the experience itself is
      what draws you in. You're so fascinated by the nature of the
      experience that the details are secondary.

      If you can remain in that state of wonder, you're likely to perform
      well at the game and enjoy the experience. Eventually you'll get
      good at it. Your glorious accumulations may include a high-level
      avatar, tons of gold, and alliances with other characters. But that
      stuff is only the result of your enjoyment, not the cause of it. The
      game can still be fun even when you're just starting out and have no
      meaningful possessions. In some games you can even go deep into
      debt, and yet the experience is still fun.

      For more on the whole "life is a game" concept, be sure to read Life -
      The Ultimate Game. Many people find this analogy helpful for
      getting past fear and loosening their death-grip attachment to
      circumstances. Letting go of this conditional attachment is the key
      to experiencing Level 2 Gratitude.

      When you feel grateful for existence itself, you move from doing
      grateful to being grateful. At this level you finally activate the
      Law of Attraction because you're broadcasting gratitude all the
      time. It becomes part of your identity. Ultimately you attract
      circumstances that resonate with who you are.

      When your feelings of gratitude are conditional upon temporary
      circumstances like your stuff, your job, and your relationships, your
      base identity doesn't change. But when you root your gratitude in
      something permanent, it becomes a permanent part of you. Instead of
      saying, "I am grateful for…" you just say, "I am grateful."

      I must have spent at least 10 years practicing Level 1 Gratitude
      (mostly in vain) before I began shifting towards Level 2. It was a
      very gradual process as my feelings of gratitude became more
      unconditional. It started with me attempting to feel grateful for
      things I wouldn't normally feel grateful for, like my breathing, the
      bushes on the street, music, my biggest failures, etc. This helped
      me see that no matter how negative, meaningless, or routine something
      seemed, it was still worthy of gratitude. Gratitude is a lens for
      uncovering beauty.

      So if I can suggest a how-to process, I'd recommend practicing
      gratitude where you'd least expect it to work. Select an unlikely
      target X, and then hold the thought, "I am grateful for X."
      Eventually you'll shift towards a more unconditional feeling of
      gratitude, and you'll be able to drop that "for X."

      In practical terms I've found that as my gratitude has become more
      unconditional, my life circumstances improve to keep pace. These
      changes are very noticeable, like increases in my income or seeing my
      relationship with my kids improve. In keeping with the Law of
      Attraction, this is to be expected because if I'm grateful for
      everything in my life in advance, I should attract the circumstances
      that are congruent with those thoughts and feelings.

      Level 1 Gratitude has its place, but if you want the universe to back
      up your feelings of gratitude with some actual results, eventually
      you need to progress to Level 2. When you're living the life of your
      dreams, this is how you're going to feel anyway, so why wait?
      Challenge yourself to create these feelings now, even in the most
      unlikely circumstances, and notice how you begin attracting the
      relationships, opportunities, and resources that resonate with those
      feelings.

      Discuss this post in the Steve Pavlina forum.
      http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2007/01/gratitude/
    • Ellann Lehdey
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 28, 2007
        Thank you dear person
        I am grateful to receive this today
        Namaste
        Ellann

[...]

        Make the switch to the world's best email.. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now.