"A Cherokee Feast Of Days".................NOVEMBER 1

  • Barbara Bailey
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
        "A Cherokee Feast Of Days"

      Nu Da Na 'Egwa
      Great Spirit, the council here
      assembled, the aged men and
      women, the strong warriors, the
      women and children, unite
      their voice of thanksgiving to
      Thee. Na-Ho!
      The danger point comes after a victory
      when we think there are no more battles. How
      many wars have been fought thinking this is the
      war that will end all wars? Even in our own private
      battles we cannot lie back and think we have won
      the right to peace.
      We do need to know and remember that
      we are more than conquerors. It is a life promise,
      but we have to claim it. Other claims have taken
      precedence--weariness, lack, sickness--but we are
      conquerors, even more than conquerors. We are
      winners and overcomers. Believe it, because it is
      true, and the more we claim it, the stronger it is.
      Where is our strength? In the old times we were
       By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      365 Days of Walking the Red Road
      Red Road Ethic 11
      Practice Optimism
      It is easy to live within the shadow of
      fear, procrastination, and pessimism.
      But these are bad habits and stumbling
      blocks that keep you from experiencing
      life, the Red Road, and the Great Spirit.
      It is well known to the Native people
      that optimism is the key to good health.
      Worry makes you sick--as do bad
      thoughts. Replace them with happiness
      and optimism and you shall live a long
      healthy life.
      Oh hear me, Grandfather, and help
      us, that our generation in the future
      will live and walk the good road with
      the flowering stick of success. Also, the
      pipe of peace, we will offer it as we
      walk the good road to success. Hear
      me, and hear our plea . . .
      -BLACK ELK
      OGLALA SIOUX, 1863-1950
      My heart laughs with joy
      because I am in your presence.
      On This Date in
      Native American History

      November 1, 1972: Hundreds of Indian
      activists banded together in protest at
      the Sioux Rosebud Reservation.
      By:  Terri Jean
      Meditations with Native American Elders
      "Times change but principles don't. Times
      change but lands do not. Times change but
      our cultures and our languages remain the
      same. And that's what you have to keep
      intact. It's not what you wear - it's what's
      in your heart."
      -Oren Lyons, ONONDAGA
      Going back to the old ways doesn't mean giv-
      ing up electricity, homes and cars. It means
      living by the same principles, laws and values
      that our ancestors lived by. This will allow us
      to live successfully in today's world. The spiri-
      tuality our ancestors lived is the same spiritu-
      ality we need in these modern times. There
      are too many influences from TV, radio, news-
      papers, magazines and negative role models
      that are guiding our lives in a bad way. Our
      stability is in the laws, principles and values
      that our ancestors were given and that our
      Elders teach us.
      Great Spirit,
               let me live my
        life in a
              spiritual way.
      By:  Don Coyhis
      The National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
      "Improving Wildlife Care"