"A Cherokee Feast Of Days"..........October 4

  • Barbara Bailey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2007

      Questioning Aunt Nellie was an eye-
      opener. Her face, some said, was like the wrinkled
      Black Hills but it was wreathed in smiles and mis-
      chief when we asked her most favorite things. She
      said quite simply:
      "A full box of wooden matches, a jar of
      mentholatum, the smell of coffee. . . and I reckon
      any kind of fresh fruit.
      "Young children were sent to neighbors to
      borrow fire . . . and when our legs ached E li si
      rubbed kerosene on them to warm the muscles. The
      other things are just something I liked and still do.
      No, we didn't have anything, but we knew how to
      hunker down until the hard times passed."
      And then she added, "People need to learn
      how to do that now."

      Say to us if you can say it, that you were sent by the
      Creative Power.
      TOOYALAKET
      NEZ PERCE

      By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

      365 Days of Walking the Red Road

      There is something that whispers
      to me it would be prudent to
      listen to offers of peace.
      -LITTLE TURTLE,
      MIAMI, 1794

      A Native to Know
      Little Turtle was born in Indiana in
      1752 but was raised in Ohio. He was a
      brave warrior and became leader of the
      Miamis by 1790. He struggled with the
      whites and tried to secure his land for
      his people, and even united with the
      Wyandots, Shawnees, and Delawares.
      But after the Battle of Fallen Timbers,
      he opted to fight for peace, not war.

      By:  Terri Jean

      Meditations with Native American Elders

      Search for the truth. Indian values teach
      the holistic approach to the use of
      technology for mankind's good.
      -Al Qoyawayma, HOPI

      The Great Spirit has given us certain values to
      live by. If we learn to think in harmony with
      these values such as respect, love, patience,
      tolerance, commitment, trust, etc., we cannot
      get off track. No matter what we do, we will
      always be in harmony. For example, if we are
      respectful, then we will respect the earth, our
      children, our women, our men and ourselves.
      Indian values help us walk under the guid-
      ance of the Great Spirit.
      My Creator,
      today I search
      for the truth,
      Your truth.
      Please let me
      see it.

      By:  Don Coyhis

      Courtesy of RedHawk 1920

      C/O

      Great Spirit, grant me the strength of eagles wings,
                    the faith and courage to fly to new heights,
                                    and the wisdom to rely on his spirit to carry me there.

      May we all live in peace, love and harmony,
       experiencing each day as a sacred gift
       woven around the heart of wonder.
      From My Heart,
      © ~Barbara A Bailey~