"A Cherokee Feast Of Days".........October 2

  • Barbara Bailey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007

      Sweet fragrance of the land, herbs and
      roots and medicines long lost to the general popu-
      lace, are nonetheless as present as they always have
      been. We have been so taken with miracle cures,
      these things have been put away as folklore and not
      dependable. The simple people at one time had no
      other alternative--so runs the present-day popular
      notion.
      Hard-fought battles over who is to pay for
      the miracle medicines--and we are grateful for
      most of them--may turn a venturesome soul back
      to the soil and back to those things that heal a mind
      and body without being asked for proof of insur-
      ance. But one other thing far too ignored is the
      power of prayer. No Indian is remiss in blessing his
      body and soul and spirit because he knows they
      work together. His prayer is not now and again but
      regular and potent.

      The lack of respect for growing, living things soon
      led to lack of respect for humans too.
      LUTHER STANDING BEAR
      LAKOTA

      By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

      God said he was the Father and the
      Earth was the Mother of mankind;
      that nature was the law; that the ani-
      mals and fish and plants obeyed
      nature and that man only was sinful.
      This is the old law.
      -SMOWHALA,
      WANAPUM

      On This Date in
      Native American History

      October 2, 1978: The Federal Acknow-
      ledgment of Indian Tribes Act was
      passed through Congress. The purpose
      of the legislation is to acknowledge the
      actual existence of certain American
      Indian tribes within the United States.

      By:  Terri Jean

      Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 2

      "Laughter - that is something very sacred especially for us Indians."

      --John (Fire) Lame Deer, ROSEBUD LAKOTA

      Laughter is mental, laughter is emotional, laughter is physical and laughter is spiritual.
      Laughter helps us find balance. If we get too angry, laughter will turn that emotion in a balanced direction.
      If we have a mental picture of someone who is too strong, laughter will help ease the tension.
      If the body is stressed, laughter will release natural relaxants into our muscles and our nervous system.
      Laughter often changes our attitude. We need to lighten up and laugh more.

      Great Spirit, teach me to laugh

      Courtesy of   RedHawk 1920

      C/O

      Great Spirit, grant me the strength of eagles wings,
      the faith and courage to fly to new heights,
      and the wisdom to rely on his spirit to carry me there.

      May we all live in peace, love and harmony experiencing each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.
      From My Heart,
      © ~Barbara A Bailey~