"A Cherokee Feast Of Days"........OCTOBER 1 ( Part 1 )

  • Barbara Bailey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007

      TEN
      Ska'hi

      HARVEST MONTH
      Duna Na Dee'

      When the future historian writes
      the history of the red man of the
      forest and the prairie, the name
      of our great departed Sioux
      Chief, Sitting Bull, will appear
      among the noble characters.

      What person does not hope for a spir-
      itual experience that will connect him with the
      inevitable source of all good? What person does not
      hope for a touch to open his stoney heart to under-
      stand his own potential? Who has not fallen prey to
      a mountain of misinformation and to the belief that
      there is no justice in the world?
      While the world of events whirls and spins
      and shocks the rural soul, the sophisticated person
      of broader experience says that is the way it is, and
      that is why we act the way we do. But that very
      opinion propels a person headlong into the
      whirring teeth of absolute destruction. Who will hit
      the button? Who will stop this swift descent? It is a
      personal responsibility, a very personal responsibili-
      ty, and who can do it?

      You can dictate your terms. I am your prisoner, and
      must submit, but I am still a man, the same as you.
      BLACK HAWK
      SAC

      By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

      365 Days of Walking the Red Road

      THE WESTERN

      JOURNEY OF AUTUMN

      Autumn is a time for introspection,
      harvest, and thankfulness. As the
      growing season comes to an end, we
      look to the west, the direction of sun-
      down, and know that the blackness of
      winter is approaching. Use this time to
      reflect, to remember our past and
      those who crossed over before us.
      Autumn is also for sharing, for
      donating time and money to charity,
      and for forgiving those who need for-
      giveness. Set aside grievances and
      focus on tomorrow.

      Direction:  West
      Season:  Autumn
      Color:  Black

      Of all the animals the horse is the best
      friend of the Indian, for without it he
      could not go on long journeys. A horse
      is the Indians most valuable piece of
      property. If an Indian wishes to gain
      something, he promises that if the
      horse will help him he will paint it
      with native dye, that all may see that
      help has come to him through the aid
      of his horse.
      -BRAVE BUFFALO,
      TETON SIOUX, LATE 19TH CENTURY

      OCTOBER PASSAMAQUODDY MOON:
      HARVEST MOON

      Red Road Ethic 10
      Practice Forgiveness

      Your journey upon the Red Road
      will be filled with acts requiring for-
      giveness--forgiveness of others and for-
      giveness of yourself. Mindfully practice
      this incredible act of humanity and the
      Red Road will be an easy path to follow.
      Also, absolution breeds the same in
      others. Be quick to forgive and others
      will grant you the same kindness.

      Indians love their friends and kin-