Today's Feast

  • Barbara Bailey
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
      EIGHT
      Su'nali
      END OF FRUIT
      Galo'nee
      From tempers be it known that
      we are warm in the field of
      battle and cool in the hours of
      debate.
      PUSHMATAHA
      CHOCTAW CHIEF

      August 1

      No wonder fear throws a wrench in
      our well-laid plans. We have been relying on dead
      gods, on lifeless theories and trying to fit our keys
      into corroded locks.
      This isn't living, it is throwing in with
      empty promises with nothing to back them up.
      Here we are, spiritual creations, trying to survive on
      mental and physical remedies, never considering
      that we have access to treasuries of ideas and wis-
      dom and spiritual knowledge. These are the
      appointment makers that say, "go here, go there,"
      and we can go in confidence.
      Spirit, come out of your web of supposed
      protection and begin to use the gifts. They are yours
      and they are beautiful beyond the reasoning human
      mind.

      I am you!
      I am yourself!
      Don't let me waste
      Upon the shelf.
      NELLIE SEQUICHIE
      CHEROKEE

      By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

      Meditations with Native American Elders-
      August 1

      "Everyone got to find the right path. You
      can't see it so it's hard to find. No one
      can show you. Each person got to find the
      path by himself."
      -Charlie Knight, UTE

      There are certain times in our lives when a
      voice whispers to us. The voice doesn't always
      talk. Usually we hear it best when we are sick
      and tired of being sick and tired. Inside of
      every person is the knowledge that a Supreme
      Being exists. Sometimes a restlessness occurs
      and it makes me feel I need to be  doing
      something or I need to be going somewhere
      or maybe I start wondering who am I? Often
      when this happens, I feel lost. Inside of every-
      one is the natural, built-in desire to be walk-
      ing the Red Road, or to be seeking a relation-
      ship with the Creator. No one can force us to
      make this journey. We must make this jour
      ney because we want to. This journey is not on
      the outside. The path is inside of ourselves. It
      is inside that we must begin our search.

      Oh Great
      Spirit, help me
      this day to
      look within
      myself. If
      trouble arises,
      let me realize
      that it's not
      what is going
      on but how I
      am looking at
      what's going
      on. Give me
      Your power
      this day to
      conduct myself
      according to
      Your way of
      life.

      AUGUST

      AUGUST HOPI MOON
      PAAMUYA:  JOYFUL MOON

      Red Road Ethic 8
      Reject Materialism

      When one is materialistic, one is
      not right with the Red Road. To
      value and appreciate what you have
      and to know that you are loved and
      safe under the limbs of the Tree of Life
      is to reject materialism and to live a life
      of virtue and appreciation. Materialism
      only fills your heart with envy and
      greed, while appreciation breeds con-
      tentment, balance, and true happiness.

      These are my young men. I am
      their Chief. Look among them and see
      if you can find among them who are
      rich. They are all poor because they
      are all honest.
      -RED DOG,
      OGLALA SIOUX, 1870

      August

      What is man without the beast? If all
      the beasts were gone, men would die
      from great loneliness of spirit, for
      whatever happens to the beasts also
      happens to man. All things are con-
      nected. Whatever befalls the earth
      befalls the children of the earth.
      -CHIEF SEATTLE (SEATHL),
      DUWAMISH-SUQUAMISH, 1785-1866

      Did You Know?

      "Oklahoma" is a Choctaw word mean-
      ing "Red Men."

    • Barbara Bailey
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 5, 2007

        Those who revel in working the world
        of the internet and e-mail have believed they delet-
        ed certain things they sent out--but the words were
        deleted only on the surface. These things can be
                                           retrieved and often are.
        Indians have always known this to be
        true--that if you send out any kind of word, it is
        frozen there in the ethers, forever preserved. Silence
        is truly golden--though most of us discovered it
        after too many things had been spoken. But if our
        remorse is genuine and we ask to be forgiven, those
        words can become useless and irretrievable. It is
        important that we remove the power of past words
        and replace them with thanksgiving.

        The first peace . . . is that which comes within the
        souls of men when they realize their relationship,
        their oneness, with the universe and all its Powers.
        BLACK ELK
        LAKOTA

        By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

        Men die but live again in the real
        world of Wakan-Tanka, where there
        is nothing but the spirits of all things;
        and this true life we may know here
        on earth if we purify our bodies and
        minds thus coming closer to Wakan-
        Tanka who is all-purity.
        -BLACK ELK,
        OGLALA SIOUX, 1863-1950

        In Remembrance

        Of Lower Brule Sioux leader Spotted
        Tail, who crossed over on August 5,
        1881, at the age of 68.
        "It is a paradox in the contemporary
        world that in our desire for peace we
        must willingly give ourselves to struggle."
        -Linda Hogan, CHICKASAW

         The Grandfathers have taught us about sacri-
        fice. We have been taught to pray for  the
        people in a pitiful way. Struggle and conflict
        is neither good nor bad, it just is. Everything
        that grows experiences conflict. When the deer
        is born it is through conflict. When the seed
        first grows, it is through conflict. Conflict pre-
        cedes clarity. Everything has the seasons of
        growth. Recognize - acknowledge - forgive and
        change. All of these things are done through
        conflict.

        Great Spirit,
        give me the
        courage today
        to see that
        struggle and
        conflict are
        here to teach
        me lessons that
        are a gift from
        You.

        Barbai

      • Barbara Bailey
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 6, 2007

          When you are a child of the land you
          come to appreciate the moments of pleasure when
          the early morning sun gilds the tree trunks and
          throws shadows across the garden. And when
          evening comes with its cool shadows and nocturnal
          sounds you revel in your native ways.
          The woods at night ring with golden bells
          all blending in a joyous sound that is the locust
          chorus. And suddenly it all stops and for a brief
          moment there is total silence and then the high
          plaintive mewl of an owl. It is an evening concert
          and you are alone with it--except for those who
          lived on these wooded ridges and loved it too. The
          conductor is the hour that leads it all in a song of
          the heart.

          There is no other place for us.
          BLACKTOOTH
          1900

          By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          There is a special magic and holiness
          about the girl and woman. There are
          the bringers of life to the people, and
          the teachers of the little children.
          -SWEET MEDICINE,
          CHEYENNE

          On This Date in
          Native American History

          August 6, 1975: President Gerald Ford
          signed into law an act granting non-
          English-speaking citizens, including
          American Indians, the right to vote in
          more than one language.

          "We have to have one mind for the Four
          Directions. Until we reach that one mind,
          we cannot be filled with
          understanding....The Creator will not
          answer until you have just one mind, just
          like if you have one person."
          -Grandfather William Commanda
          ALGONQUIN

          The Elders have taught us to balance our lives
          emotionally, mentally, physically and spiritu-
          ally. If I am out of control emotionally, I get
          angry, doubtful or erratic, I am out of bal-
          lance. If I trigger bad mental pictures of my
          brothers and sisters, I am out of balance. If I
          get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired, I am
          out of balance physically. If I don't pray and
          talk to the Creator daily, I am out of balance
          spiritually. To be centered, I must be in bal-
          lance. The Creator talks to me in the quiet and
          still place. So if I get angry, what should I do
          first is to pause and get still so I can hear the
          guidance of the Grandfathers.

          Oh Great
          Spirit whose
          voice I hear in
          the winds,
          protect and
          keep me safe
          today - hear
          my prayers.

        • Barbara Bailey
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

            Life is complicated, no doubt about it.
            We start something and it leads us into something
            else--and that into another thing, and we ask,
            "How did this happen?"
            On the other hand, we wouldn't like it any
            better if we were confined to a treadmill that goes
            and goes but gets nowhere. It is life lived at a time
            when order as we once knew it, is nonexistent.
            It helps to go back to where we started and
            take each bend and turn and change things--even
            if we have to admit we were wrong and ask some-
            one to forgive us. All is not lost, and it helps to
            admit we made moves that were wrong. And even
            against our most selfish nature--begin to make
            them right.

            Do not wrong or hate your neighbor; for it is not he
            that you wrong: You wrong yourself.
            SHAWNEE CHANT

            By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

            The more you know the more you will
            trust and the less you will fear.
            -OJIBWAY ADAGE

            Did You Know?

            A powwow was originally an event
            held during springtime to celebrate
            the upcoming season of life, birth,
            fruition, and renewal. Communities
            would gather together to sing, con-
            duct religious ceremonies, dance, and
            connect with friends and family.
            Today, powwows are an important
            part of tribal unity, perseverance, and
            renewal, and are held at all times of
            the year. Some powwows including
            singing and competitive dancing, and
            have food and artwork for sale.

            "The Creator told everyone of us in our
            tribal beginnings to look after our
            ceremonies, and each other."
            -Barney Bush, SHAWNEE

            Our ceremonies are important and each has
            a purpose. They teach us about the Creator
            and about each other. The ceremonies teach
            us to be humble and teach us to pray. They
            teach us to look inside ourselves. We should
            remember to pray each morning. Ask the
            Creator to guide our thinking. Think only
            good thoughts. Think good thoughts about
            our relatives and about our brothers and sis-
            ters. Pray for our children in ceremony. Give
            thanks to the Great Mystery for life. All life is
            sacred. Pray in a sacred way.

            Oh Great Spirit, I come to You this morning in ceremony. I
                          come to this sacred place to talk to You. I thank You for
            Your guid- ance and protection.
            Give me Your eyes today so I may see the
            beauty in all things.

            These are our times and our
            responsibilities. Every human being has
            a sacred duty to protect the welfare of our
            Mother Earth, from whom all life comes.
            In order to do this, we must recognize the
            enemy - the one within us. We must begin
            with ourselves..."
            -Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA

            May you experience each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.

             From My Heart,
                       © ~Barbara A Bailey~

            www.nwrawildlife.org/

          • Barbara Bailey
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 10, 2007

              Look twice at a two-faced man.
              -CHIEF JOSEPH (HIN-MAH-TOO-YAH-LAT-KEKT),
              NEZ PERCE, 1840-1904
              Did You Know?

              The medicine pole used by the Man-
              dans (Plains) was similar to the totem
              pole used by the northwestern tribes.
              The medicine pole included various
              animal symbols, which brought power
              or good energy to the family and /or
              community.

              Nature is the storehouse of potential life
              of future generations and is sacred."
              -Audrey Shenandoah, ONONDAGA

              We need to honor and respect our Mother
              Earth. She is the source of all life. The sun
              shines life to the earth, then the earth pro-
              duces life in all forms and in a balanced way.
              Everything is here to serve everything else. If
              we interrupt the flow in any way, we leave
              nothing for the future generations. Before
              every decision is made, we should ask, and
              answer a final question. "If we do this, what
              will be the effects on the seventh generation?
              What will it cause our children to live with?"
              We need to have respect and love for all things
              and for all people. We need to do this for
              ourselves and for all the children still unborn.

              Voices echo in our minds even after we are grown. They can be whispers that only the sub- conscious mind can hear--but it is an exacting voice that can give us courage or suggest failure.
              We've no idea how fenced in we are by those voices of old. The subconscious mind is a road map, a
              map with many mistakes, and who is
              to know what they are? Nothing is set forever in one direction, and we are able to read the signs and change them. Not because they may sound old-
              fashioned but because they are foolish and suggest that we take paths that have no destination except ruin. We can change it and we must.

              If the Indians had tried to make the whites live like them, the whites would have resisted, and it was the same way with the Indians.
              WAMDITANKA
              SANTEE SIOUX

              By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler
              c/o

              May you experience each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.
                                From My Heart,
                         © ~Barbara A Bailey~

              www.nwrawildlife.org/

              © 2003 National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association (NWRA)

              May you experience each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.
                                From My Heart,
                         © ~Barbara A Bailey~

              www.nwrawildlife.org/

                         Animal Rescue Site
              © 2003 National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association (NWRA)

            • Kate McCarthy
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 10, 2007
                Barbara... this is just lovely... thank you... Katy
[...]

                                  From My Heart,
                           © ~Barbara A Bailey~

                www.nwrawildlife.org/

                © 2003 National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association (NWRA)

                May you experience each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.
                                  From My Heart,
                           © ~Barbara A Bailey~

                www.nwrawildlife.org/

                           Animal Rescue Site

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 14, 2007
                  Evening brings Sam-cat to the kitchen
                  door loudly demanding attention. Not that he
                  wants to be fed, because most of the time he prefers
                  the food he finds for himself. He comes to be spo-
                  ken to, to be petted, and to be made welcome. He's
                  no different from you and me.
                  To be welcome is a basic need. If someone
                  wants us simply for our presence we have some-
                  thing golden. Even when we are hungry we can
                  stop to be greeted because it is a sign we are worthy
                  of attention. Even the aloof arrogant melt when
                  they know they are loved and wanted. Sam proves
                  that every time he leaves his hideaway in the barn
                  or woods and comes home to renew his security.

                  Kinship with all creatures of the earth, sky and
                  water was a real active principle.
                  CHIEF LUTHER STANDING BEAR
                  LAKOTA

                  By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                  Red Road Lesson 8
                  How to say "I Love You"
                  Here is how you can say "I love
                  you" in eight different Native
                  American languages.

                  Cheyenne  Nemehotatse
                  Chickasaw  Chiholloli
                  Hawaiian  Aloha I'a Au Oe
                  Hopi  Nu' umi unangwa'ta
                  Mohawk  Konoronhkwa
                  Navaho  Ayor anosh'ni
                  Ojibway  Gi zah gin
                  Zuni  Tom ho' ichema

                  Love is something you and I must
                  have. We must have it because
                  our spirit feeds upon it.
                  -CHIEF DAN GEORGE,
                  COAST SALISH, 1899-1981

                  My people were wise. They never
                  neglected the young or failed to
                  keep before them deeds done by
                  illustrious men of the tribe. Our
                  teachers were willing and thor-
                  ough. They were our grandfathers,
                  fathers, or uncles. All were quick
                  to praise excellence without
                  speaking a word that might break
                  the spirit of a boy who might be
                  less capable than others. The boy
                  who failed at any lesson got only
                  more lessons, more care, until he
                  was as far as he could go.
                  -CHIEF PLENTY COUPS,
                  CROW, 1848-1932

                  By:  Terri Jean

                  Courtesy of Red Hawk 1920

                  c/o

                  May you experience each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.
                                    From My Heart,
                             © ~Barbara A Bailey~

                  www.nwrawildlife.org/

                • Barbara Bailey
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 20, 2007

                    *The lil bear lookin' image over the left sholder of the NA dude....I have no idea where that came from! LOL

                    A Cherokee Feast of Days

                    Talking trouble is rehearsing trouble.
                    Innocent as it sounds, it draws an outline for the
                    thing to happen.
                    Medical information in the wrong hands
                    lays out a mere possibility but is always a catalyst
                    for hope and false hope at that. Remember that
                    most of what we hear is simply read to us as a bed-
                    time story meant to help us rest--but it never does.
                    Someone said talk is cheap, but it isn't. It is
                    one of the most expensive items we can handle.
                    And talking trouble may be entertaining but it is
                    costly--and never worth what we seem willing to
                    pay.

                    I am master of my condition, I am master of my
                    own body.
                    ADARIO
                    HURON CHIEF
                    1600s

                    By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                    365 Days Of Walking the Red Road

                    It is in peace only that our women
                    and children can enjoy happiness,
                    and increase in numbers.
                    -CHIEF JOHN ROSS,
                    CHEROKEE, 1790-1866
                    On This Date in
                    Native American History
                    August 20, 1994: Miracle, the first white
                                    female buffalo calf in over a century,
                                  was born in Janesville, Wisconsin, to
                               non-Native ranchers. The birth of a
                                  white buffalo calf was prophesied by
                               Native people generations ago, and
                                    she is seen as a sign of tribal unity and
                               peace by believers all across the
                                  country. Thousands pilgrimage to see
                                  her, and Miracle received worldwide
                    media attention.

                                 By:  Terri Jean

                    Meditations with Native American Elders

                    "...remember and think about the
                    closeness of Wakan-Tanka. If they live in
                    this wisdom, it will give them endless
                    strength and hope."
                    -Fools Crow, LAKOTA

                    The value of staying close to the Creator is the
                    immediate help we have available to us when-
                    ever we need it. I can listen to the whisper of
                    my heart for this is the place. He communi-
                    cates with me. Staying close helps me remem-
                    ber that we are here to serve Him and to help
                    other people. The Grandfathers are my direct
                    access to wisdom. He who has wisdom has
                    everything. If we have wisdom, then we will
                    see our lives become more effective in the
                    areas of jobs, relationships, family, friends and
                    finances.

                    My Creator,
                    today grant
                    me the wisdom
                    to seek Your
                    wisdom. Help
                    me to Walk
                    the Red Road.

                    By:  Don Coyhis

                    Courtesy of Red Hawk 1920

                    C/O

                  • Barbara Bailey
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 15, 2007

                      Some of us go to great lengths to keep
                      from doing detail work--anything from flipping
                      through a directory for one name in ten thousand
                      to guessing at amounts in a recipe. No time, no
                      time.
                      Time isn't saved by guessing. Even when
                      we hit it right once in a while--most of the time we
                      are just a little off. How many of us take our basic
                      instructions from hearsay--how many don't really
                      want to know anyhow?
                      Life itself has an instruction book. There's
                      no reason to guess at what is right or wrong. We
                      have a script for every part we play in life. When we
                      have a need of any kind, the script has the wisdom
                      to handle it. The Scriptures leave out nothing--and
                      the biggest mistake we can make is to say we don't
                      believe it--and go off to figure it out by guessing.

                      We were put here by the Creator and these were our
                      rights.

                      CHIEF WENINOCK
                      YAKIMA

                      1855

                      By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                      Red Road Lesson 10
                      Turtle Island

                      Northern America has been called
                      Turtle Island by many Native tribes
                      for generations. The reference stems
                      from a belief that the continent was
                      placed upon the Great Turtle's back.
                      Drawings of North America often depict
                      the land as a turtle, and some use the
                      tortoise as a representation of their
                      tribes.

                      Indians love their friends and kin-
                      dred, and treat them with kindness.
                      -CORNPLANTER
                      SENECA, 1736-1836

                      On This Date in
                      Native American History

                      October 15, 1925: The Vanishing Amer-
                      ican, a controversial motion picture
                      exploring the mismanagement and cor-
                      ruption of reservations and how this
                      affects the American Indian, premiered
                      in New York City. This sympathetic
                      view of indigenous people was not
                      completely well received by the
                      American public, and many debated
                      not only the condition of the American
                      Indian, but also what should be done
                      with them.

                      By:  Terri Jean

                      In our language there is no word to
                      say inferior or superiority or equality
                      because we are all equal . . .
                      -ALANIS OBOMSAWIN,
                      ABENAKI

                      Meditations with Native American Elders

                      "All of us begin to rethink what is good
                      about ourselves - put the past where it
                      belongs - and get on with the possibilities
                      of the present!"
                      -Howard Rainer

                      TAOS PUEBLO-CREEK

                      There is a saying, you move toward and be-
                      come that which you think about. So the ques-
                      tion for today is, what are you thinking about?
                      Are you thinking bad things about yourself or
                      are you thinking good things about yourself?
                      Are you thinking about a worldly life? Are you
                      thinking good things about people or are you
                      gossiping about people? Are you focusing on
                      past things or are you living in the future?
                      We need to bring our thoughts into the
                      NOW,
                      right here.
                      Great Spirit,
                                let me
                                   experience
                                 living in the
                                 present
                                 moment.

                      By:  Don Coyhis

                      True Path Walkers

                      Obligations of the True Path Walkers

                      To bring back the natural harmony that humans once enjoyed.
                      To save the planet from present practices of destruction.
                      To find and re-employ real truth.
                      To promote true balance between both genders.
                      To share and be less materialistic.
                      To become rid of prejudice.
                      To learn to be related.

                      To be kind to animals and take no more than we need.
                      To play with one's children and love each equally and fairly.
                      To be brave and courageous, enough so,
                      to take a stand and make a commitment.
                      To understand what Generations Unborn really means.
                      To accept the Great Mystery
                      in order to end foolish argument over religion.

                      May you experience each day as a sacred
                      gift woven around the heart of wonder.
                                   From My Heart,
                                 © ~Barbara A Bailey~

                      The National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
                      "Improving Wildlife Care"

                    • Barbara Bailey
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 19, 2007
                        Today's Feast

                        It may be that we stay in difficulty too long because of the

                        habitual comfort of a familiar place. The ache for the old and

                        familiar are parts of the spirit of hindrance that keeps us trying

                        to overcome things without too much success. A continual suggestion

                        says that things are never going to be any different - that we can

                        go no further and life can be no different. But we can! It can be

                        different and it will as soon as we reject feelings of being frozen

                        in space. Such feelings are signs that good change is in the offing

                        and all we have to do is walk and talk the part - and to show

                        gratitude that the Great Spirit is ever with us.

                        ~ Men must be born and reborn to belong. ~

                        CHIEF LUTHER STANDING BEAR

                        by Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                        Elder's Meditation

                        "The teachings are for all, not just for Indians... The white

                        people never wanted to learn before. They thought we were savages.

                        Now they have a different understanding, and they do want to learn.

                        We are all children of God. The tradition is open to anyone who

                        wants to learn."

                        --Don Jose Matusuwa, HUICHOL

                        In the summer of 1994, a white buffalo calf was born. This means

                        that now is the time for all races to come together. The Elders say

                        that at this time a voice from within will speak to everyone. It

                        will say now is the time to forgive, now is the time to come

                        together. Are we willing to do this? Are we willing to quit judging

                        other people? The Elders say, He will be talking through people of

                        all races and gender. We need to open our hearts and welcome our

                        brothers and sisters.

                        Great Spirit, let my ears be open as I walk the path You have

                        chosen for me.

                        The Story of the White Buffalo Calf Woman:

                        Thank You Elisabeth, my wonderful Dutch sister for spending
                        all your talent & time contributing to our Cherokee Feast.

                        Don José Matsuwa

                        Is the renowned Huichol shaman from Mexico who passed away in 1990

                        at the age of 110. He was a farmer, healer, and master ceremonial

                        leader, and a revered and respected elder throughout the Huichol

                        Sierra. He dedicated his whole life to completing the sacred path

                        of the shaman and it is his life and vision that are the

                        inspirations for the Dance of the Deer Foundation. Before he died

                        he left Brant Secunda this message: "I leave you in my place. Tell

                        your people to pray and follow the deer all the way to their

                        hearts."
                        Doña Joséfa Medrano

                        Is a singing shaman and healer. The wife of Don José, she was his

                        partner in completing the sacred path of the shaman. She excels in

                        the Huichol arts of embroidery and weaving which help to bring her

                        visions alive. Together with Don José she has guided a family of 13

                        children, 75 grandchildren and great grandchildren. Doña Joséfa now

                        takes Don José's place as the elder and leader of her village.
                        Huichol Proverb

                        Indigenous Native American Prophecy:

                        "When the world ends, it will be like when the names of things are changed during the peyote hunt. All will be different, the opposite of what it is now. Now there are two eyes in the heavens, Dios Sol and Dios Fuego. Then, the moon will open his eye and become brighter. The sun will become dimmer. There will be no more differences. No more men and women. No child and no adult. All will change places..."

                        Huichol Proverb

                        The National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
                        "Improving Wildlife Care"

                        Barbara A Bailey

                      • Barbara Bailey
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 20, 2007

                          Every person's privilege is to stand on
                          tiptoe and take a look over the edge. What is the
                          edge?
                          A place where fear lurks and no one dares
                          to get too close.
                          Many a dream has taken us up to the edge
                          and with quaking knees to look over the immense
                          distance between what could be and what is reality.
                          Most people end it right there and refuse to be
                          scared any longer.
                          Change is here. We can fall over the edge
                          or we can believe in something greater than the tan-
                          gible. Let go of the weak and impossible and stand
                          in the Light that never goes out.

                          Let him be just and deal kindly with my people.
                          SEATTLE
                          DWAMISH CHIEF

                          By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                          365 Days of Walking the Red Road

                          I went up to heaven and saw the Great
                          Spirit and all the people who had died
                          a long time ago. The Great Spirit told
                          me to come back and tell my people
                          they must be good and love one
                          another, and not fight, steal, or lie.
                          -WOVOKA (JACK WILSON),
                          PAIUTE SPIRITUAL LEADER, 1889

                          On This Date in
                          Native American History

                          October 20, 1876: Satanta (White Bear)
                          spoke to representatives of the United
                          Sates government at Medicine Lodge
                          Creek. Satanta spoke of the right to raise
                          his children as he was raised. He asked
                          not to be placed on a reservation, and
                          said, "I have heard that you intend to
                          settle us on a reservation. I don't want to
                          settle. I love to roam over the prairies.
                          When we settle down we grow pale
                          and die." Satanta was later imprisoned
                          for alleged participation in murderous
                          raids on white frontiersmen--he com-
                          mitted suicide in prison in 1878.

                          By:  Terri Jean

                          Meditations with Native American Elders

                          "As Elders, it is our place to show respect
                          to our young people in order to gain
                          respect."
                          -Grace Azak, NISGA'A

                          The attitude of our leaders will be the attitude
                          of the people. The attitude of the parents will
                          be the attitude of the children. If respect is
                          shown from above, respect will be developed
                          below. If the Elders show respect, the younger
                          people will be respectful. As above, so below.
                          This happens because of interconnectedness.
                          The heart of the Elders is connected to the
                          heart of the youth.

                          Great Spirit,
                          in the fall
                          season let me
                          respect both
                          the Elders and
                          the youth.

                          By:  Don Coyhis

                          The National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
                          "Improving Wildlife Care"

                          If you talk to the animals they will talk with you
                          and you will know each other.
                          If you do not talk to them, you will not know them,
                          And what you do not know you will fear.
                          What one fears one destroys.
                                           ~Chief Dan George~

                        • Barbara Bailey
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 28, 2007

                            Why is it that we require so much scientific proof for the most ordinary things these days, when the very fact that we lie down and close our eyes at night is the highest proof that God's world is in order. Though perhaps our personal world may not know such sequence. There comes a time when our human limitations insist that we lay down our questions and accept by faith the only way to survive ourselves.

                            There are those who say they must have tangible evidence that the world and all its wonders be displayed before their eyes to see in wisdom the way things really are. And yet who said the human eyes could see or ears could hear more than one tiny bit of the wonder. Who could be so bold as to believe their senses were strong enough to know, except through faith.

                            Who could see with the visible eye the hand that changes the seasons, or hear Job's stars that sang together at dawn. Who set the day at rest and brings the morning in all its newness.

                            Only so far....then explanations know no more....and though we try to disbelieve when all goes wrong, there comes a time when we want no more explanation than that God's world is in order - and we cannot change it.

                            Surely if someone took our hand and asked us to walk along the world and view the wonders so magnificently displayed....If by some miracle we could see the vastness of it all at once, and still bear up under the beauty of it.....

                            If we can see the rolling rise and fall of the land - the purple, pink, and golden hues of shadows hung along the mountain sides....If our ears could hear the music of the rippling streams, the rushing waters, the graceful falls.

                            If by some mere chance we could sense the ebb and flow, the push and relaxing of the tides, the rise and set of the sun, the glittering stars and soft-faced moon that ignores the fact that other worlds encircle ours.....

                            And as the seasons sprinkle rain and flowers, golden leaves and snowfall....On this continuous circle....always new....always beautiful....

                            If we can see all this, how then, can ye doubt that the earth that God created and saw as good is good. This is our land, and only our own forgetfulness of its source can make it different.

                            Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                            365 Days of Walking the Red Road

                            When this pipe touches your lip, may it
                            operate as a blessing upon all my tribe.
                            May the smoke rise like a cloud, and
                            carry away with it all the animosities
                            which have arisen between us.
                            -BLACK THUNDER,
                            FOX

                            On This Date in
                            Native American History

                            October 28, 1871: In Edmonton, Alberta,
                            Canada, indigenous people began a six-
                            month sit-in at the Indian Affairs Office
                            to protest the harsh conditions for chil-
                            dren at reservation schools.

                            By:  Terri Jean

                            Elder's Meditation

                            "Our religion seems foolish to you, but so does yours to me. The
                            Baptists and Methodists and Presbyterians and the Catholics all have a different God. Why cannot we have one of our own?"
                            --Sitting Bull, HUNKPAPA LAKOTA

                            The Creator gave each culture a path to God. To the Indian people, he revealed that the Creator is in everything. Everything is alive with the Spirit of God. The water is alive. The trees are alive. The woods are alive. The mountains are alive. The wind is alive. The Great Spirit's breath is in everything and that's why it's alive. All of nature is our church, we eat with our families in church, we go to sleep in church.

                            My Creator, let us leave people to worship You in the way You have taught them.

                            By:  Don Coyhis

                            Barbara A Bailey

                          • Barbara Bailey
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 29, 2007

                              Something new is always an exciting
                              prospect. It can be anything that changes the face of
                              daily life and brings it into a new pattern that
                              makes us feel better.
                              Drudgery can take over our thinking and
                              then our actions. Sticking too close to one routine
                              and never having a change is an obvious sign we are
                              heading for drudgery.
                              If renewal is to come there must be
                              change--even if it is to walk a short distance, talk
                              to someone out of the ordinary, and do something
                              for someone. These things sound simplistic but if
                              they turn our thinking to more creativity or more
                              relaxation, it is worth doing.

                              I felt that I was leaving all that I had but I did not
                              cry.

                              OLLOKOT
                              NEZ PERCE

                               By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                              365 Days of Walking the Red Road
                              Marriage among my people was like
                              traveling in a canoe. The man sat in
                              front and paddled the canoe. The
                              woman sat in the stern, but she steered.
                              -ANONYMOUS

                              Did You Know?

                              The dreamcatcher is an easily recogniz-
                              able piece of Native Americana. There
                              are two kinds of dreamcatchers. The
                              first, for children, will include feathers
                              and is made from willow so that it will
                              eventually fall apart (representing the
                              child growing out of childhood). The
                              adult dreamcatcher is usually made with
                              a center feather and beads. It is made of
                              woven fiber and will last longer.
                              All dreamcatchers have some type
                              of representation of the four directions
                              as well as a spider's web, and will be
                              made from all-natural material. The
                              dreamcatcher is only to be placed on
                              the wall above the bed of the person
                              the dreamcatcher was made for. It
                              must be made from hand.

                              By:  Terri Jean

                              Meditations with Native American Elders
                              Mothers must protect the lives they have
                              helped to bring into the world."
                              -Haida Gwaii
                              Traditional Circle of Elders

                              Every child is subject to the seeds each adult
                              plants in his/her mind. If we plant praise and
                              "you can do it," the child will grow up with
                              certain predictable behavior patterns. If we
                              plant ideas that there's something wrong with
                              you or you're good for nothing, the child will
                              grow up with predictable behavior patterns.
                              We need to honor and respect the mothers
                              who protect the children and plant positive
                              seeds for their growth.

                              Great Spirit,
                              bless each
                              mother and
                              give her
                              courage and
                              faith.

                              By:  Don Coyhis

                              Barbara A Bailey

                            • Barbara Bailey
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 12, 2007

                                Today's Feast

                                Misery seems to justify making
                                someone pay--but there is sweet revenge in finding
                                our own inner spirit can expand quickly to push
                                out unfairness and bitterness.
                                Who doesn't have the right to be bitter? A
                                hard thing to forget, a mountain to overcome--but
                                such peace follows. Peace spreads like warm honey
                                across a hot biscuit and permeates all the little
                                places that capture and hold it. The heart lifts its
                                hands in praise for relief from the darkness of bitter
                                memories. All of us can do it--all of us must if we
                                are to be well and have something to share. Just let
                                it go. Life will balance the books, it always does.

                                While living I want to live well.
                                GERONIMO
                                CHIRACAHUA APACHE

                                 By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                                Indian Heroes:  Sitting Bull (Sioux),  Captain Jack (Modoc);
                                Two Moon (Cheyenne); Red Cloud (Sioux);
                                Geronimo (Apache); Quanah Parker (Commanche)
                                Crazy Horse (Sioux)

                                365 Days of Walking the Red Road
                                Brother, listen to us, your younger
                                brothers. As we see something in your
                                eyes that looks dissatisfaction, we now
                                clear them. You have credited bad sto-
                                ries against us. We clean your ears,
                                that you may hear better hereafter. We
                                wish to remove every thing bad from
                                your heart, that you may be as good as
                                your ancestors. We saw you coming
                                with an uplifted tomahawk in your
                                hand. We now take it from you, and
                                throw it up to God. Brother, as you are
                                a warrior, take hold of this chain of
                                friendship, and let us think no more of
                                war, in pity of our old men, women,
                                and children. We, too, are warriors.
                                -RED HAWK, SHAWNEE,
                                ADDRESSING BRITISH COLONEL HENRY BOUQUET,
                                NOVEMBER 12, 1764

                                By:  Terri Jean

                                Meditations with Native American Elders

                                "I don't think that anybody anywhere can
                                talk about the future of their people or of an
                                organization without talking about
                                education. Whoever controls the education
                                of our children controls our future, the
                                future of the Cherokee people and of the
                                Cherokee Nation."
                                -Wilma P. Mankiller, CHEROKEE

                                The world has changed in the last 50 years. It
                                will change even more in the next 50 years,
                                and it will change even faster. We must educate
                                ourselves to ensure our future generations
                                will maintain the language and the culture of
                                our people. We need to be concerned about
                                our land because when our land goes away, so
                                will our people. We need to be concerned
                                about leadership, our families and about
                                alcoholism. We need to be concerned about
                                what's going on around the world. We can
                                only do this by being educated. Then we can
                                control our future.

                                Great Spirit,
                                please guide
                                our children;
                                let me know
                                how I can
                                help.

                                By:  Don Coyhis

                                Beth's Bonus's:

                                                               http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=psqjJi2TxBI  ('Beulah Land' )

                                Barbara a Bailey

                              • jackie condor
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 12, 2007
                                  I loved this one.  I have been asking for a picture of Crazy Horse for many years.  I am gifted at last with his image.  Thank you.  I would like to say that I also injoyed the yourtube sites as well.   I had a vision of Geronomo  2 years ago. It was quite interersting.

                                  Light and Love
                                  Jacqui

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com