Today's Feast

  • Barbara Bailey
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
      Over the years we forget how many
      times we follow the same paths. So accustomed to
      the twists and turns most of us could walk with our
      eyes closed--except for the gnarled plum that grows
      too close to the path.
      Somewhere in our deepest memory are all
      the little paths, the little rabbit runs we have
      walked. Plans were made, fears were put aside, tears
      were shed, and decisions made along these paths.
      When we were children, around the bend was a
      long way from home. Even now we sense we have
      strayed too far. But we are still within earshot of
      those paths that lead us back to everything that
      waits with open arms.
      Before our red brothers pass to the happy hunting
      ground, let us wash off our war paint in the river.
      Let us break our arrows.
      PLENTY COUPS
      CROW CHIEF

      By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Meditations with Native American Elders-

      "These are our times and our
      responsibilities. Every human being has
      a sacred duty to protect the welfare of our
      Mother Earth, from whom all life comes.
      In order to do this, we must recognize the
      enemy - the one within us. We must begin
      with ourselves..."
      -Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA

      The outside is merely a reflection of our in-
      sides. My mind is designed to tell me that I'm
      not crazy for thinking what I am thinking.
      Even if I have angry thoughts, my mind is
      giving me excuses and reasons why it is OK to
      think what I'm thinking. I need to be knowl-
      edgeable about the laws of harmony and bal-
      ance. I cannot twist the laws to serve me but I
      can adjust my life to serve the laws. This is the
      law - I am here to serve the earth. The earth
      is not here for me to misuse and abuse.
      Oh Great
      Spirit, allow
      me the insight
      and knowl-
      edge of how to
      live in
      harmony and
      balance with
      my surround-
      ings. Grant
      me change
      from within.
      We believed in one God, the Great
      Spirit. We believed in our own kind of
      Ten Commandments. And we behaved
      as though we believed in them.
      -VINE DELORIA SR., YANKTON SIOUX,
      1901-1990
      A NATIVE MISSIONARY PRIEST ON SOUTH
      DAKOTA INDIAN RESERVATIONS, VINE DELORIA
      SR. WAS INSTRUMENTAL IN HIS ADVOCACY WORK
      FOR NATIVE PEOPLE. VINE DELORIA JR. WROTE
      CUSTER DIED FOR YOUR SINS AND GOD IS RED.

      May you experience each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.
                        From My Heart,
                 © ~Barbara A Bailey~

      www.nwrawildlife.org/
      © 2003 National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association (NWRA)

    • Rahim Alizadeh
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
        Thank u a lot 4 a very wonderfull mail.
                                                                      Lahand

      • Barbara Bailey
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
          EIGHT
          Su'nali
          END OF FRUIT
          Galo'nee
          From tempers be it known that
          we are warm in the field of
          battle and cool in the hours of
          debate.
          PUSHMATAHA
          CHOCTAW CHIEF

          August 1

          No wonder fear throws a wrench in
          our well-laid plans. We have been relying on dead
          gods, on lifeless theories and trying to fit our keys
          into corroded locks.
          This isn't living, it is throwing in with
          empty promises with nothing to back them up.
          Here we are, spiritual creations, trying to survive on
          mental and physical remedies, never considering
          that we have access to treasuries of ideas and wis-
          dom and spiritual knowledge. These are the
          appointment makers that say, "go here, go there,"
          and we can go in confidence.
          Spirit, come out of your web of supposed
          protection and begin to use the gifts. They are yours
          and they are beautiful beyond the reasoning human
          mind.

          I am you!
          I am yourself!
          Don't let me waste
          Upon the shelf.
          NELLIE SEQUICHIE
          CHEROKEE

          By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

          Meditations with Native American Elders-
          August 1

          "Everyone got to find the right path. You
          can't see it so it's hard to find. No one
          can show you. Each person got to find the
          path by himself."
          -Charlie Knight, UTE

          There are certain times in our lives when a
          voice whispers to us. The voice doesn't always
          talk. Usually we hear it best when we are sick
          and tired of being sick and tired. Inside of
          every person is the knowledge that a Supreme
          Being exists. Sometimes a restlessness occurs
          and it makes me feel I need to be  doing
          something or I need to be going somewhere
          or maybe I start wondering who am I? Often
          when this happens, I feel lost. Inside of every-
          one is the natural, built-in desire to be walk-
          ing the Red Road, or to be seeking a relation-
          ship with the Creator. No one can force us to
          make this journey. We must make this jour
          ney because we want to. This journey is not on
          the outside. The path is inside of ourselves. It
          is inside that we must begin our search.

          Oh Great
          Spirit, help me
          this day to
          look within
          myself. If
          trouble arises,
          let me realize
          that it's not
          what is going
          on but how I
          am looking at
          what's going
          on. Give me
          Your power
          this day to
          conduct myself
          according to
          Your way of
          life.

          AUGUST

          AUGUST HOPI MOON
          PAAMUYA:  JOYFUL MOON

          Red Road Ethic 8
          Reject Materialism

          When one is materialistic, one is
          not right with the Red Road. To
          value and appreciate what you have
          and to know that you are loved and
          safe under the limbs of the Tree of Life
          is to reject materialism and to live a life
          of virtue and appreciation. Materialism
          only fills your heart with envy and
          greed, while appreciation breeds con-
          tentment, balance, and true happiness.

          These are my young men. I am
          their Chief. Look among them and see
          if you can find among them who are
          rich. They are all poor because they
          are all honest.
          -RED DOG,
          OGLALA SIOUX, 1870

          August

          What is man without the beast? If all
          the beasts were gone, men would die
          from great loneliness of spirit, for
          whatever happens to the beasts also
          happens to man. All things are con-
          nected. Whatever befalls the earth
          befalls the children of the earth.
          -CHIEF SEATTLE (SEATHL),
          DUWAMISH-SUQUAMISH, 1785-1866

          Did You Know?

          "Oklahoma" is a Choctaw word mean-
          ing "Red Men."

        • Barbara Bailey
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 5, 2007

            Those who revel in working the world
            of the internet and e-mail have believed they delet-
            ed certain things they sent out--but the words were
            deleted only on the surface. These things can be
                                               retrieved and often are.
            Indians have always known this to be
            true--that if you send out any kind of word, it is
            frozen there in the ethers, forever preserved. Silence
            is truly golden--though most of us discovered it
            after too many things had been spoken. But if our
            remorse is genuine and we ask to be forgiven, those
            words can become useless and irretrievable. It is
            important that we remove the power of past words
            and replace them with thanksgiving.

            The first peace . . . is that which comes within the
            souls of men when they realize their relationship,
            their oneness, with the universe and all its Powers.
            BLACK ELK
            LAKOTA

            By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

            Men die but live again in the real
            world of Wakan-Tanka, where there
            is nothing but the spirits of all things;
            and this true life we may know here
            on earth if we purify our bodies and
            minds thus coming closer to Wakan-
            Tanka who is all-purity.
            -BLACK ELK,
            OGLALA SIOUX, 1863-1950

            In Remembrance

            Of Lower Brule Sioux leader Spotted
            Tail, who crossed over on August 5,
            1881, at the age of 68.
            "It is a paradox in the contemporary
            world that in our desire for peace we
            must willingly give ourselves to struggle."
            -Linda Hogan, CHICKASAW

             The Grandfathers have taught us about sacri-
            fice. We have been taught to pray for  the
            people in a pitiful way. Struggle and conflict
            is neither good nor bad, it just is. Everything
            that grows experiences conflict. When the deer
            is born it is through conflict. When the seed
            first grows, it is through conflict. Conflict pre-
            cedes clarity. Everything has the seasons of
            growth. Recognize - acknowledge - forgive and
            change. All of these things are done through
            conflict.

            Great Spirit,
            give me the
            courage today
            to see that
            struggle and
            conflict are
            here to teach
            me lessons that
            are a gift from
            You.

            Barbai

          • Barbara Bailey
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 6, 2007

              When you are a child of the land you
              come to appreciate the moments of pleasure when
              the early morning sun gilds the tree trunks and
              throws shadows across the garden. And when
              evening comes with its cool shadows and nocturnal
              sounds you revel in your native ways.
              The woods at night ring with golden bells
              all blending in a joyous sound that is the locust
              chorus. And suddenly it all stops and for a brief
              moment there is total silence and then the high
              plaintive mewl of an owl. It is an evening concert
              and you are alone with it--except for those who
              lived on these wooded ridges and loved it too. The
              conductor is the hour that leads it all in a song of
              the heart.

              There is no other place for us.
              BLACKTOOTH
              1900

              By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler
              There is a special magic and holiness
              about the girl and woman. There are
              the bringers of life to the people, and
              the teachers of the little children.
              -SWEET MEDICINE,
              CHEYENNE

              On This Date in
              Native American History

              August 6, 1975: President Gerald Ford
              signed into law an act granting non-
              English-speaking citizens, including
              American Indians, the right to vote in
              more than one language.

              "We have to have one mind for the Four
              Directions. Until we reach that one mind,
              we cannot be filled with
              understanding....The Creator will not
              answer until you have just one mind, just
              like if you have one person."
              -Grandfather William Commanda
              ALGONQUIN

              The Elders have taught us to balance our lives
              emotionally, mentally, physically and spiritu-
              ally. If I am out of control emotionally, I get
              angry, doubtful or erratic, I am out of bal-
              lance. If I trigger bad mental pictures of my
              brothers and sisters, I am out of balance. If I
              get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired, I am
              out of balance physically. If I don't pray and
              talk to the Creator daily, I am out of balance
              spiritually. To be centered, I must be in bal-
              lance. The Creator talks to me in the quiet and
              still place. So if I get angry, what should I do
              first is to pause and get still so I can hear the
              guidance of the Grandfathers.

              Oh Great
              Spirit whose
              voice I hear in
              the winds,
              protect and
              keep me safe
              today - hear
              my prayers.

            • Barbara Bailey
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                Life is complicated, no doubt about it.
                We start something and it leads us into something
                else--and that into another thing, and we ask,
                "How did this happen?"
                On the other hand, we wouldn't like it any
                better if we were confined to a treadmill that goes
                and goes but gets nowhere. It is life lived at a time
                when order as we once knew it, is nonexistent.
                It helps to go back to where we started and
                take each bend and turn and change things--even
                if we have to admit we were wrong and ask some-
                one to forgive us. All is not lost, and it helps to
                admit we made moves that were wrong. And even
                against our most selfish nature--begin to make
                them right.

                Do not wrong or hate your neighbor; for it is not he
                that you wrong: You wrong yourself.
                SHAWNEE CHANT

                By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                The more you know the more you will
                trust and the less you will fear.
                -OJIBWAY ADAGE

                Did You Know?

                A powwow was originally an event
                held during springtime to celebrate
                the upcoming season of life, birth,
                fruition, and renewal. Communities
                would gather together to sing, con-
                duct religious ceremonies, dance, and
                connect with friends and family.
                Today, powwows are an important
                part of tribal unity, perseverance, and
                renewal, and are held at all times of
                the year. Some powwows including
                singing and competitive dancing, and
                have food and artwork for sale.

                "The Creator told everyone of us in our
                tribal beginnings to look after our
                ceremonies, and each other."
                -Barney Bush, SHAWNEE

                Our ceremonies are important and each has
                a purpose. They teach us about the Creator
                and about each other. The ceremonies teach
                us to be humble and teach us to pray. They
                teach us to look inside ourselves. We should
                remember to pray each morning. Ask the
                Creator to guide our thinking. Think only
                good thoughts. Think good thoughts about
                our relatives and about our brothers and sis-
                ters. Pray for our children in ceremony. Give
                thanks to the Great Mystery for life. All life is
                sacred. Pray in a sacred way.

                Oh Great Spirit, I come to You this morning in ceremony. I
                              come to this sacred place to talk to You. I thank You for
                Your guid- ance and protection.
                Give me Your eyes today so I may see the
                beauty in all things.

                These are our times and our
                responsibilities. Every human being has
                a sacred duty to protect the welfare of our
                Mother Earth, from whom all life comes.
                In order to do this, we must recognize the
                enemy - the one within us. We must begin
                with ourselves..."
                -Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA

                May you experience each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.

                 From My Heart,
                           © ~Barbara A Bailey~

                www.nwrawildlife.org/

              • Barbara Bailey
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 10, 2007

                  Look twice at a two-faced man.
                  -CHIEF JOSEPH (HIN-MAH-TOO-YAH-LAT-KEKT),
                  NEZ PERCE, 1840-1904
                  Did You Know?

                  The medicine pole used by the Man-
                  dans (Plains) was similar to the totem
                  pole used by the northwestern tribes.
                  The medicine pole included various
                  animal symbols, which brought power
                  or good energy to the family and /or
                  community.

                  Nature is the storehouse of potential life
                  of future generations and is sacred."
                  -Audrey Shenandoah, ONONDAGA

                  We need to honor and respect our Mother
                  Earth. She is the source of all life. The sun
                  shines life to the earth, then the earth pro-
                  duces life in all forms and in a balanced way.
                  Everything is here to serve everything else. If
                  we interrupt the flow in any way, we leave
                  nothing for the future generations. Before
                  every decision is made, we should ask, and
                  answer a final question. "If we do this, what
                  will be the effects on the seventh generation?
                  What will it cause our children to live with?"
                  We need to have respect and love for all things
                  and for all people. We need to do this for
                  ourselves and for all the children still unborn.

                  Voices echo in our minds even after we are grown. They can be whispers that only the sub- conscious mind can hear--but it is an exacting voice that can give us courage or suggest failure.
                  We've no idea how fenced in we are by those voices of old. The subconscious mind is a road map, a
                  map with many mistakes, and who is
                  to know what they are? Nothing is set forever in one direction, and we are able to read the signs and change them. Not because they may sound old-
                  fashioned but because they are foolish and suggest that we take paths that have no destination except ruin. We can change it and we must.

                  If the Indians had tried to make the whites live like them, the whites would have resisted, and it was the same way with the Indians.
                  WAMDITANKA
                  SANTEE SIOUX

                  By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                  c/o

                  May you experience each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.
                                    From My Heart,
                             © ~Barbara A Bailey~

                  www.nwrawildlife.org/

                  © 2003 National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association (NWRA)

                  May you experience each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.
                                    From My Heart,
                             © ~Barbara A Bailey~

                  www.nwrawildlife.org/

                             Animal Rescue Site
                  © 2003 National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association (NWRA)

                • Kate McCarthy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 10, 2007
                    Barbara... this is just lovely... thank you... Katy
[...]

                                      From My Heart,
                               © ~Barbara A Bailey~

                    www.nwrawildlife.org/

                    © 2003 National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association (NWRA)

                    May you experience each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.
                                      From My Heart,
                               © ~Barbara A Bailey~

                    www.nwrawildlife.org/

                               Animal Rescue Site

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 14, 2007
                      Evening brings Sam-cat to the kitchen
                      door loudly demanding attention. Not that he
                      wants to be fed, because most of the time he prefers
                      the food he finds for himself. He comes to be spo-
                      ken to, to be petted, and to be made welcome. He's
                      no different from you and me.
                      To be welcome is a basic need. If someone
                      wants us simply for our presence we have some-
                      thing golden. Even when we are hungry we can
                      stop to be greeted because it is a sign we are worthy
                      of attention. Even the aloof arrogant melt when
                      they know they are loved and wanted. Sam proves
                      that every time he leaves his hideaway in the barn
                      or woods and comes home to renew his security.

                      Kinship with all creatures of the earth, sky and
                      water was a real active principle.
                      CHIEF LUTHER STANDING BEAR
                      LAKOTA

                      By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                      Red Road Lesson 8
                      How to say "I Love You"
                      Here is how you can say "I love
                      you" in eight different Native
                      American languages.

                      Cheyenne  Nemehotatse
                      Chickasaw  Chiholloli
                      Hawaiian  Aloha I'a Au Oe
                      Hopi  Nu' umi unangwa'ta
                      Mohawk  Konoronhkwa
                      Navaho  Ayor anosh'ni
                      Ojibway  Gi zah gin
                      Zuni  Tom ho' ichema

                      Love is something you and I must
                      have. We must have it because
                      our spirit feeds upon it.
                      -CHIEF DAN GEORGE,
                      COAST SALISH, 1899-1981

                      My people were wise. They never
                      neglected the young or failed to
                      keep before them deeds done by
                      illustrious men of the tribe. Our
                      teachers were willing and thor-
                      ough. They were our grandfathers,
                      fathers, or uncles. All were quick
                      to praise excellence without
                      speaking a word that might break
                      the spirit of a boy who might be
                      less capable than others. The boy
                      who failed at any lesson got only
                      more lessons, more care, until he
                      was as far as he could go.
                      -CHIEF PLENTY COUPS,
                      CROW, 1848-1932

                      By:  Terri Jean

                      Courtesy of Red Hawk 1920

                      c/o

                      May you experience each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.
                                        From My Heart,
                                 © ~Barbara A Bailey~

                      www.nwrawildlife.org/

                    • Barbara Bailey
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 20, 2007

                        *The lil bear lookin' image over the left sholder of the NA dude....I have no idea where that came from! LOL

                        A Cherokee Feast of Days

                        Talking trouble is rehearsing trouble.
                        Innocent as it sounds, it draws an outline for the
                        thing to happen.
                        Medical information in the wrong hands
                        lays out a mere possibility but is always a catalyst
                        for hope and false hope at that. Remember that
                        most of what we hear is simply read to us as a bed-
                        time story meant to help us rest--but it never does.
                        Someone said talk is cheap, but it isn't. It is
                        one of the most expensive items we can handle.
                        And talking trouble may be entertaining but it is
                        costly--and never worth what we seem willing to
                        pay.

                        I am master of my condition, I am master of my
                        own body.
                        ADARIO
                        HURON CHIEF
                        1600s

                        By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                        365 Days Of Walking the Red Road

                        It is in peace only that our women
                        and children can enjoy happiness,
                        and increase in numbers.
                        -CHIEF JOHN ROSS,
                        CHEROKEE, 1790-1866
                        On This Date in
                        Native American History
                        August 20, 1994: Miracle, the first white
                                        female buffalo calf in over a century,
                                      was born in Janesville, Wisconsin, to
                                   non-Native ranchers. The birth of a
                                      white buffalo calf was prophesied by
                                   Native people generations ago, and
                                        she is seen as a sign of tribal unity and
                                   peace by believers all across the
                                      country. Thousands pilgrimage to see
                                      her, and Miracle received worldwide
                        media attention.

                                     By:  Terri Jean

                        Meditations with Native American Elders

                        "...remember and think about the
                        closeness of Wakan-Tanka. If they live in
                        this wisdom, it will give them endless
                        strength and hope."
                        -Fools Crow, LAKOTA

                        The value of staying close to the Creator is the
                        immediate help we have available to us when-
                        ever we need it. I can listen to the whisper of
                        my heart for this is the place. He communi-
                        cates with me. Staying close helps me remem-
                        ber that we are here to serve Him and to help
                        other people. The Grandfathers are my direct
                        access to wisdom. He who has wisdom has
                        everything. If we have wisdom, then we will
                        see our lives become more effective in the
                        areas of jobs, relationships, family, friends and
                        finances.

                        My Creator,
                        today grant
                        me the wisdom
                        to seek Your
                        wisdom. Help
                        me to Walk
                        the Red Road.

                        By:  Don Coyhis

                        Courtesy of Red Hawk 1920

                        C/O

                      • Barbara Bailey
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 15, 2007

                          Some of us go to great lengths to keep
                          from doing detail work--anything from flipping
                          through a directory for one name in ten thousand
                          to guessing at amounts in a recipe. No time, no
                          time.
                          Time isn't saved by guessing. Even when
                          we hit it right once in a while--most of the time we
                          are just a little off. How many of us take our basic
                          instructions from hearsay--how many don't really
                          want to know anyhow?
                          Life itself has an instruction book. There's
                          no reason to guess at what is right or wrong. We
                          have a script for every part we play in life. When we
                          have a need of any kind, the script has the wisdom
                          to handle it. The Scriptures leave out nothing--and
                          the biggest mistake we can make is to say we don't
                          believe it--and go off to figure it out by guessing.

                          We were put here by the Creator and these were our
                          rights.

                          CHIEF WENINOCK
                          YAKIMA

                          1855

                          By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                          Red Road Lesson 10
                          Turtle Island

                          Northern America has been called
                          Turtle Island by many Native tribes
                          for generations. The reference stems
                          from a belief that the continent was
                          placed upon the Great Turtle's back.
                          Drawings of North America often depict
                          the land as a turtle, and some use the
                          tortoise as a representation of their
                          tribes.

                          Indians love their friends and kin-
                          dred, and treat them with kindness.
                          -CORNPLANTER
                          SENECA, 1736-1836

                          On This Date in
                          Native American History

                          October 15, 1925: The Vanishing Amer-
                          ican, a controversial motion picture
                          exploring the mismanagement and cor-
                          ruption of reservations and how this
                          affects the American Indian, premiered
                          in New York City. This sympathetic
                          view of indigenous people was not
                          completely well received by the
                          American public, and many debated
                          not only the condition of the American
                          Indian, but also what should be done
                          with them.

                          By:  Terri Jean

                          In our language there is no word to
                          say inferior or superiority or equality
                          because we are all equal . . .
                          -ALANIS OBOMSAWIN,
                          ABENAKI

                          Meditations with Native American Elders

                          "All of us begin to rethink what is good
                          about ourselves - put the past where it
                          belongs - and get on with the possibilities
                          of the present!"
                          -Howard Rainer

                          TAOS PUEBLO-CREEK

                          There is a saying, you move toward and be-
                          come that which you think about. So the ques-
                          tion for today is, what are you thinking about?
                          Are you thinking bad things about yourself or
                          are you thinking good things about yourself?
                          Are you thinking about a worldly life? Are you
                          thinking good things about people or are you
                          gossiping about people? Are you focusing on
                          past things or are you living in the future?
                          We need to bring our thoughts into the
                          NOW,
                          right here.
                          Great Spirit,
                                    let me
                                       experience
                                     living in the
                                     present
                                     moment.

                          By:  Don Coyhis

                          True Path Walkers

                          Obligations of the True Path Walkers

                          To bring back the natural harmony that humans once enjoyed.
                          To save the planet from present practices of destruction.
                          To find and re-employ real truth.
                          To promote true balance between both genders.
                          To share and be less materialistic.
                          To become rid of prejudice.
                          To learn to be related.

                          To be kind to animals and take no more than we need.
                          To play with one's children and love each equally and fairly.
                          To be brave and courageous, enough so,
                          to take a stand and make a commitment.
                          To understand what Generations Unborn really means.
                          To accept the Great Mystery
                          in order to end foolish argument over religion.

                          May you experience each day as a sacred
                          gift woven around the heart of wonder.
                                       From My Heart,
                                     © ~Barbara A Bailey~

                          The National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
                          "Improving Wildlife Care"

                        • Barbara Bailey
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 19, 2007
                            Today's Feast

                            It may be that we stay in difficulty too long because of the

                            habitual comfort of a familiar place. The ache for the old and

                            familiar are parts of the spirit of hindrance that keeps us trying

                            to overcome things without too much success. A continual suggestion

                            says that things are never going to be any different - that we can

                            go no further and life can be no different. But we can! It can be

                            different and it will as soon as we reject feelings of being frozen

                            in space. Such feelings are signs that good change is in the offing

                            and all we have to do is walk and talk the part - and to show

                            gratitude that the Great Spirit is ever with us.

                            ~ Men must be born and reborn to belong. ~

                            CHIEF LUTHER STANDING BEAR

                            by Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                            Elder's Meditation

                            "The teachings are for all, not just for Indians... The white

                            people never wanted to learn before. They thought we were savages.

                            Now they have a different understanding, and they do want to learn.

                            We are all children of God. The tradition is open to anyone who

                            wants to learn."

                            --Don Jose Matusuwa, HUICHOL

                            In the summer of 1994, a white buffalo calf was born. This means

                            that now is the time for all races to come together. The Elders say

                            that at this time a voice from within will speak to everyone. It

                            will say now is the time to forgive, now is the time to come

                            together. Are we willing to do this? Are we willing to quit judging

                            other people? The Elders say, He will be talking through people of

                            all races and gender. We need to open our hearts and welcome our

                            brothers and sisters.

                            Great Spirit, let my ears be open as I walk the path You have

                            chosen for me.

                            The Story of the White Buffalo Calf Woman:

                            Thank You Elisabeth, my wonderful Dutch sister for spending
                            all your talent & time contributing to our Cherokee Feast.

                            Don José Matsuwa

                            Is the renowned Huichol shaman from Mexico who passed away in 1990

                            at the age of 110. He was a farmer, healer, and master ceremonial

                            leader, and a revered and respected elder throughout the Huichol

                            Sierra. He dedicated his whole life to completing the sacred path

                            of the shaman and it is his life and vision that are the

                            inspirations for the Dance of the Deer Foundation. Before he died

                            he left Brant Secunda this message: "I leave you in my place. Tell

                            your people to pray and follow the deer all the way to their

                            hearts."
                            Doña Joséfa Medrano

                            Is a singing shaman and healer. The wife of Don José, she was his

                            partner in completing the sacred path of the shaman. She excels in

                            the Huichol arts of embroidery and weaving which help to bring her

                            visions alive. Together with Don José she has guided a family of 13

                            children, 75 grandchildren and great grandchildren. Doña Joséfa now

                            takes Don José's place as the elder and leader of her village.
                            Huichol Proverb

                            Indigenous Native American Prophecy:

                            "When the world ends, it will be like when the names of things are changed during the peyote hunt. All will be different, the opposite of what it is now. Now there are two eyes in the heavens, Dios Sol and Dios Fuego. Then, the moon will open his eye and become brighter. The sun will become dimmer. There will be no more differences. No more men and women. No child and no adult. All will change places..."

                            Huichol Proverb

                            The National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
                            "Improving Wildlife Care"

                            Barbara A Bailey

                          • Barbara Bailey
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 20, 2007

                              Every person's privilege is to stand on
                              tiptoe and take a look over the edge. What is the
                              edge?
                              A place where fear lurks and no one dares
                              to get too close.
                              Many a dream has taken us up to the edge
                              and with quaking knees to look over the immense
                              distance between what could be and what is reality.
                              Most people end it right there and refuse to be
                              scared any longer.
                              Change is here. We can fall over the edge
                              or we can believe in something greater than the tan-
                              gible. Let go of the weak and impossible and stand
                              in the Light that never goes out.

                              Let him be just and deal kindly with my people.
                              SEATTLE
                              DWAMISH CHIEF

                              By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                              365 Days of Walking the Red Road

                              I went up to heaven and saw the Great
                              Spirit and all the people who had died
                              a long time ago. The Great Spirit told
                              me to come back and tell my people
                              they must be good and love one
                              another, and not fight, steal, or lie.
                              -WOVOKA (JACK WILSON),
                              PAIUTE SPIRITUAL LEADER, 1889

                              On This Date in
                              Native American History

                              October 20, 1876: Satanta (White Bear)
                              spoke to representatives of the United
                              Sates government at Medicine Lodge
                              Creek. Satanta spoke of the right to raise
                              his children as he was raised. He asked
                              not to be placed on a reservation, and
                              said, "I have heard that you intend to
                              settle us on a reservation. I don't want to
                              settle. I love to roam over the prairies.
                              When we settle down we grow pale
                              and die." Satanta was later imprisoned
                              for alleged participation in murderous
                              raids on white frontiersmen--he com-
                              mitted suicide in prison in 1878.

                              By:  Terri Jean

                              Meditations with Native American Elders

                              "As Elders, it is our place to show respect
                              to our young people in order to gain
                              respect."
                              -Grace Azak, NISGA'A

                              The attitude of our leaders will be the attitude
                              of the people. The attitude of the parents will
                              be the attitude of the children. If respect is
                              shown from above, respect will be developed
                              below. If the Elders show respect, the younger
                              people will be respectful. As above, so below.
                              This happens because of interconnectedness.
                              The heart of the Elders is connected to the
                              heart of the youth.

                              Great Spirit,
                              in the fall
                              season let me
                              respect both
                              the Elders and
                              the youth.

                              By:  Don Coyhis

                              The National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
                              "Improving Wildlife Care"

                              If you talk to the animals they will talk with you
                              and you will know each other.
                              If you do not talk to them, you will not know them,
                              And what you do not know you will fear.
                              What one fears one destroys.
                                               ~Chief Dan George~

                            • Barbara Bailey
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 28, 2007

                                Why is it that we require so much scientific proof for the most ordinary things these days, when the very fact that we lie down and close our eyes at night is the highest proof that God's world is in order. Though perhaps our personal world may not know such sequence. There comes a time when our human limitations insist that we lay down our questions and accept by faith the only way to survive ourselves.

                                There are those who say they must have tangible evidence that the world and all its wonders be displayed before their eyes to see in wisdom the way things really are. And yet who said the human eyes could see or ears could hear more than one tiny bit of the wonder. Who could be so bold as to believe their senses were strong enough to know, except through faith.

                                Who could see with the visible eye the hand that changes the seasons, or hear Job's stars that sang together at dawn. Who set the day at rest and brings the morning in all its newness.

                                Only so far....then explanations know no more....and though we try to disbelieve when all goes wrong, there comes a time when we want no more explanation than that God's world is in order - and we cannot change it.

                                Surely if someone took our hand and asked us to walk along the world and view the wonders so magnificently displayed....If by some miracle we could see the vastness of it all at once, and still bear up under the beauty of it.....

                                If we can see the rolling rise and fall of the land - the purple, pink, and golden hues of shadows hung along the mountain sides....If our ears could hear the music of the rippling streams, the rushing waters, the graceful falls.

                                If by some mere chance we could sense the ebb and flow, the push and relaxing of the tides, the rise and set of the sun, the glittering stars and soft-faced moon that ignores the fact that other worlds encircle ours.....

                                And as the seasons sprinkle rain and flowers, golden leaves and snowfall....On this continuous circle....always new....always beautiful....

                                If we can see all this, how then, can ye doubt that the earth that God created and saw as good is good. This is our land, and only our own forgetfulness of its source can make it different.

                                Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                                365 Days of Walking the Red Road

                                When this pipe touches your lip, may it
                                operate as a blessing upon all my tribe.
                                May the smoke rise like a cloud, and
                                carry away with it all the animosities
                                which have arisen between us.
                                -BLACK THUNDER,
                                FOX

                                On This Date in
                                Native American History

                                October 28, 1871: In Edmonton, Alberta,
                                Canada, indigenous people began a six-
                                month sit-in at the Indian Affairs Office
                                to protest the harsh conditions for chil-
                                dren at reservation schools.

                                By:  Terri Jean

                                Elder's Meditation

                                "Our religion seems foolish to you, but so does yours to me. The
                                Baptists and Methodists and Presbyterians and the Catholics all have a different God. Why cannot we have one of our own?"
                                --Sitting Bull, HUNKPAPA LAKOTA

                                The Creator gave each culture a path to God. To the Indian people, he revealed that the Creator is in everything. Everything is alive with the Spirit of God. The water is alive. The trees are alive. The woods are alive. The mountains are alive. The wind is alive. The Great Spirit's breath is in everything and that's why it's alive. All of nature is our church, we eat with our families in church, we go to sleep in church.

                                My Creator, let us leave people to worship You in the way You have taught them.

                                By:  Don Coyhis

                                Barbara A Bailey

                              • Barbara Bailey
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 29, 2007

                                  Something new is always an exciting
                                  prospect. It can be anything that changes the face of
                                  daily life and brings it into a new pattern that
                                  makes us feel better.
                                  Drudgery can take over our thinking and
                                  then our actions. Sticking too close to one routine
                                  and never having a change is an obvious sign we are
                                  heading for drudgery.
                                  If renewal is to come there must be
                                  change--even if it is to walk a short distance, talk
                                  to someone out of the ordinary, and do something
                                  for someone. These things sound simplistic but if
                                  they turn our thinking to more creativity or more
                                  relaxation, it is worth doing.

                                  I felt that I was leaving all that I had but I did not
                                  cry.

                                  OLLOKOT
                                  NEZ PERCE

                                   By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                                  365 Days of Walking the Red Road
                                  Marriage among my people was like
                                  traveling in a canoe. The man sat in
                                  front and paddled the canoe. The
                                  woman sat in the stern, but she steered.
                                  -ANONYMOUS

                                  Did You Know?

                                  The dreamcatcher is an easily recogniz-
                                  able piece of Native Americana. There
                                  are two kinds of dreamcatchers. The
                                  first, for children, will include feathers
                                  and is made from willow so that it will
                                  eventually fall apart (representing the
                                  child growing out of childhood). The
                                  adult dreamcatcher is usually made with
                                  a center feather and beads. It is made of
                                  woven fiber and will last longer.
                                  All dreamcatchers have some type
                                  of representation of the four directions
                                  as well as a spider's web, and will be
                                  made from all-natural material. The
                                  dreamcatcher is only to be placed on
                                  the wall above the bed of the person
                                  the dreamcatcher was made for. It
                                  must be made from hand.

                                  By:  Terri Jean

                                  Meditations with Native American Elders
                                  Mothers must protect the lives they have
                                  helped to bring into the world."
                                  -Haida Gwaii
                                  Traditional Circle of Elders

                                  Every child is subject to the seeds each adult
                                  plants in his/her mind. If we plant praise and
                                  "you can do it," the child will grow up with
                                  certain predictable behavior patterns. If we
                                  plant ideas that there's something wrong with
                                  you or you're good for nothing, the child will
                                  grow up with predictable behavior patterns.
                                  We need to honor and respect the mothers
                                  who protect the children and plant positive
                                  seeds for their growth.

                                  Great Spirit,
                                  bless each
                                  mother and
                                  give her
                                  courage and
                                  faith.

                                  By:  Don Coyhis

                                  Barbara A Bailey

                                • Barbara Bailey
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 12 8:19 AM

                                    Today's Feast

                                    Misery seems to justify making
                                    someone pay--but there is sweet revenge in finding
                                    our own inner spirit can expand quickly to push
                                    out unfairness and bitterness.
                                    Who doesn't have the right to be bitter? A
                                    hard thing to forget, a mountain to overcome--but
                                    such peace follows. Peace spreads like warm honey
                                    across a hot biscuit and permeates all the little
                                    places that capture and hold it. The heart lifts its
                                    hands in praise for relief from the darkness of bitter
                                    memories. All of us can do it--all of us must if we
                                    are to be well and have something to share. Just let
                                    it go. Life will balance the books, it always does.

                                    While living I want to live well.
                                    GERONIMO
                                    CHIRACAHUA APACHE

                                     By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

                                    Indian Heroes:  Sitting Bull (Sioux),  Captain Jack (Modoc);
                                    Two Moon (Cheyenne); Red Cloud (Sioux);
                                    Geronimo (Apache); Quanah Parker (Commanche)
                                    Crazy Horse (Sioux)

                                    365 Days of Walking the Red Road
                                    Brother, listen to us, your younger
                                    brothers. As we see something in your
                                    eyes that looks dissatisfaction, we now
                                    clear them. You have credited bad sto-
                                    ries against us. We clean your ears,
                                    that you may hear better hereafter. We
                                    wish to remove every thing bad from
                                    your heart, that you may be as good as
                                    your ancestors. We saw you coming
                                    with an uplifted tomahawk in your
                                    hand. We now take it from you, and
                                    throw it up to God. Brother, as you are
                                    a warrior, take hold of this chain of
                                    friendship, and let us think no more of
                                    war, in pity of our old men, women,
                                    and children. We, too, are warriors.
                                    -RED HAWK, SHAWNEE,
                                    ADDRESSING BRITISH COLONEL HENRY BOUQUET,
                                    NOVEMBER 12, 1764

                                    By:  Terri Jean

                                    Meditations with Native American Elders

                                    "I don't think that anybody anywhere can
                                    talk about the future of their people or of an
                                    organization without talking about
                                    education. Whoever controls the education
                                    of our children controls our future, the
                                    future of the Cherokee people and of the
                                    Cherokee Nation."
                                    -Wilma P. Mankiller, CHEROKEE

                                    The world has changed in the last 50 years. It
                                    will change even more in the next 50 years,
                                    and it will change even faster. We must educate
                                    ourselves to ensure our future generations
                                    will maintain the language and the culture of
                                    our people. We need to be concerned about
                                    our land because when our land goes away, so
                                    will our people. We need to be concerned
                                    about leadership, our families and about
                                    alcoholism. We need to be concerned about
                                    what's going on around the world. We can
                                    only do this by being educated. Then we can
                                    control our future.

                                    Great Spirit,
                                    please guide
                                    our children;
                                    let me know
                                    how I can
                                    help.

                                    By:  Don Coyhis

                                    Beth's Bonus's:

                                                                   http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=psqjJi2TxBI  ('Beulah Land' )

                                    Barbara a Bailey

                                  • jackie condor
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 12 10:17 AM
                                      I loved this one.  I have been asking for a picture of Crazy Horse for many years.  I am gifted at last with his image.  Thank you.  I would like to say that I also injoyed the yourtube sites as well.   I had a vision of Geronomo  2 years ago. It was quite interersting.

                                      Light and Love
                                      Jacqui

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com