Fwd: ROBITUSSIN CF AND OTHER MEDS - not a good idea - see the list

  • Constance Kosuda
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007

      This maybe redundant to you, but just incase it's new to you--here it is:

      Subject: IMPORTANT INFORMATION PLEASE READ

      I am passing this email forwarded to me this morning. It's about a
      medication that is familiar to many of us. Note also the FDA 's comments at
      the end of the message.

      I received this information from a friend whose mother recently passed away.

      Apparently, this was caused by a medication that is deadly. Here are the
      details and I suggest you pass it on to your loved ones and others.

            Subject: Phenylpropanolamine (PPA)

             I would like to thank those of you who expressed condolences on the
      recent passing of my mother. She suffered a hemorrhagic stroke while she
      was driving home from my house on 7/30 and passed away on 8/3. My mother's
      stroke and passing was an enormous shock to my family because she did not
      have any symptoms or risk factors for a stroke. Just the week before she had gone to her doctor for a check up and received a clean bill of health. She did, however, develop a cold while she was visiting me and had
      taken Alka Seltzer Cold Plus for 3 days. Since her passing, we have learned
      that Alka Seltzer is one of the many cold medicines that contains
      Phenylpropanolamine (PPA) which can cause hemorrhagic stokes or cerebral
      bleeding even with the first use. I am forwarding a list of other
      medications that currently use PPA. These medicines are supposedly being
      recalled but my mother just purchased this medication less than two weeks
      ago. Pharmaceutical companies have known about this danger for years, we
      unfortunately, did not.

      I urge you to review the list of medicines with PPA and avoid these
      medications. All drugs containing PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE are dangerous. You may want to try calling the 800 number listed on most drug boxes and inquire
      about a REFUND. Please read this CAREFULLY. Also, please pass this on to
      everyone you know. STOP TAKING anything containing this ingredient. It has
      been linked to increased hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in brain) among women
      ages 18-49 in the three days after starting use of medication. Problems were not found in men, but the FDA recommended that everyone (even children) seek alternative medicine.

             The following medications contain Phenylpropanolamine:

      Acutrim Diet Gum Appetite Suppressant

      Acutrim Plus Dietary Supplements

      Acutrim Maximum Strength Appetite Control

      Alka-Seltzer Plus Children's Cold Medicine Effervescent

      Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold medicine (cherry or or ange)

      Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine Original

      Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Medicine Effervescent

      Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Flu Medicine

      Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Sinus Effervescent

      Alka Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold Medicine

      BC Allergy Sinus Cold Powder

      BC Sinus Cold Powder

      Comtrex Flu Therapy & Fever Relief

      Day & Night Contac 12-Hour Cold Capsules

      Contac 12 Hour Caplets

      Coricidin D Cold, Flu & Sinus

      Dexatrim Caffeine Free

      Dexatrim Extended Duration

      Dexatrim Gelcaps

      Dexatrim Vitamin C/Caffeine Free

      Dimetapp Cold & Allergy Chewable Tablets

      Dimetapp Cold & Cough Liqui-Gels

      Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir

      Dimetapp Elixir

      Dimetapp 4 Hour Liquid Gels

      Dimetapp 4 Hour Tablets

      Dimetapp 12 Hour Extentabs Tablets

      Naldecon DX Pediatric Drops

      Permathene Mega-16

      Robitussin CF

      Tavist-D 12 Hour Relief of Sinus & Nasal

      Congestion

      Triaminic DM Cough Rel! ief

      Triaminic Expectorant Chest & Head

      Triaminic Syrup ! ! Cold & amp;am p; Allergy

      Triaminic Triaminicol Cold & Cough

      I just found out and called the 800# on the container for Triaminic and they informed me that they are voluntarily recalling the following medicines
      because of a certain ingredient that is causing strokes and seizures in
      children:

      Orange 3D Cold & Allergy Cherry (Pink)

      3D Cold & Cough Berry

      3D Cough Relief Yellow 3D Expectorant

      They are asking you to call them at 800-548-3708 with the lot number on the box so they can send you postage for you to send it back to them, and they will also issue you a refund. If you know of anyone else with small
      children,

      PLEASE PASS THIS ON. THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF!

      DO PASS ALONG TO ALL ON YOUR MAILING LIST so people are
      informed. They can then pass it along to their families.

      To confirm these findings please take time to check the following:

      http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/ppa/

      http://PrisonMinistry.net/ckosuda
      , God bless you, all you love and all you touch with Peace, Prosperity, Perfect Health, Harmony, Humility and Happiness
      Thomas