Percy (One & Two) ~ Mary Oliver

  • nachi2006@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2006
      Percy (One & Two) -- Mary Oliver

      Percy

      (One)

      Our new dog, named for the beloved poet,
      ate a book which unfortunately we had
      left unguarded.
      Fortunately, it was the Bhagavad Gita,
      of which many copies are available.
      Every day now, as Percy grows
      into the beauty of his life, we touch
      his wild, curly head and say,

      "Oh, wisest of little dogs."

      (Two)

      I have a little dog who likes to nap with me.
      He climbs on my body and puts his face in my neck.
      He is sweeter than soap.
      He is more wonderful than a diamond necklace,
      which can't even bark.
      I would like to take him to Kashmir and the Ukraine,
      and Jerusalem and Palestine and Iraq and Darfur,
      that the sorrowing thousands might see his laughing mouth.
      I would like to take him to Washington, right into
      the oval office
      where Donald Rumsfeld would crawl out of the president's
      armpit
      and kneel down on the carpet, and romp like a boy.

      For once, for a moment, a rational man.

      ~ Mary Oliver ~

      (New and Selected Poems, Volume II)