Who's Packing Your Parachute

  • ROXANNE YOUNG
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006

      WHO'S PACKING YOUR PARACHUTE

      Charles Plumb was a US Navy jet pilot in Vietnam. After 75 combat
      missions, his plane was destroyed by a surface-to-air missile.
      Plumb ejected and parachuted into enemy hands. He was captured and
      spent years in a communist Vietnamese prison.

      He survived the ordeal and now lectures on lessons learned
      from that experience!

      One day, when Plumb and his wife were sitting in a restaurant,
      a man at another table came up and said, "You're Plumb! You flew
      jet fighters in Vietnam from the aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk. You
      were shot down!"

      "How in the world did you know that?" asked Plumb.

      "I packed your parachute," the man replied. Plumb gasped in
      surprise and gratitude. The man pumped his hand and said, "I guess
      it worked!"

      Plumb assured him, "It sure did. If your chute hadn't worked, I
      wouldn't be here today."

      Plumb couldn't sleep that night, thinking about that man. Plumb
      says, I kept wondering what he had looked like in a Navy uniform:
      a white hat; a bib in the back; and bell-bottom trousers. I wonder
      how many times I might have seen him and not even said 'Good morning,
      how are you?' or anything because, you see, I was a fighter pilot and
      he was just a sailor."

      Plumb thought of the many hours the sailor had spent at a long
      wooden table in the bowels of the ship, carefully weaving the
      shrouds and folding the silks of each chute, holding in his
      hands each time the fate of someone he didn't know.

      Now, Plumb asks his audience, "Who's packing your parachute?"
      Everyone has someone who provides what they need to make
      it through the day.

      He also points out that he needed many kinds of parachutes when
      his plane was shot down over enemy territory -- he needed his
      PHYSICAL parachute, his MENTAL parachute, his EMOTIONAL
      parachute, and his SPIRITUAL parachute. He called
      on all these supports before reaching safety.

      Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what
      is really important. We may fail to say hello, please, or
      thank you, congratulate someone on something wonderful
      that has happened to them, give a compliment, or just do
      something nice for no reason. As you go through this week, this
      month, this year, recognize people who pack your parachutes.

      via Bluesilk9