Demand a Fair Election

  • constance kosuda
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2006
      Dear Friend,

      I thought you might be interested in this United Farm Workers
      online petition that grape workers plan to hand in next Friday,
      March 10.

      Starting Tuesday, Feb. 28th, dozens of Giumarra vineyards
      workers will testify and ask the Agricultural Labor Relations
      Board (ALRB) to throw out the Sept. 1, 2005 election at Giumarra
      Vineyards--the nation?s largest table grape company. Last year
      these courageous vineyard workers took on the biggest, most
      powerful table grape grower in the nation and demanded a UFW
      contract.

      "If blatant bullying and intimidation from the Giumarras had not
      tainted the election, the union would have won a lopsided
      victory," UFW President Arturo Rodriguez says. "After the
      evidence and testimony is considered, we expect the ALRB will
      invalidate the election."

      The UFW's evidence and testimony shows that before the balloting
      last summer in Kern and Tulare counties, the Giumarras, their
      foremen and supervisors threatened workers conversion of
      operations from table to wine or juice grapes with significant
      job losses, termination because of immigration status, denial of
      unemployment benefits and much more if they supported the UFW.

      ALRB Administrative Law Judge James Wolpman will preside as the
      United Farm Workers presents its case during this two-week state
      hearing. The UFW will use Tuesday through Friday to state our
      objections, featuring testimony from numerous Giumarra farm
      workers each day. The hearing was set after the ALRB has found
      prima facie (substantial) evidence of grower misconduct by
      Giumarra. After listening to both sides, the judge will issue a
      recommendation to the members of the ALRB who sit in Sacramento.

      Please sign the online petition TODAY--that workers will deliver
      to Giumarra at the end of the hearing--and demand that Giumarra
      allow their workers to have a free and fair election without
      intimidation and coercion.

      http://www.ufwaction.org/campaign/giumarrapetition?rk=w1alHCd1kcIkW