For now, PLZ DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS

  • Virginia S.
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2006
      Attachments are sent out to rob people's address books as part of the vicious viruses MO.

      The virus has many different names (it's real name is not kama sutra or my wife or black mal -- but CME-24), but it screws up people's browsers and robs address books.  You can have people posting with your name, that others recognize.  Since they trust you they think it is safe to open the emails.  If you noticed on the virus emails the extensions on the attachments are not even real extensions!!!

      IT ISN'T!!

      For the time being, please do not send attachments -- and do not open any.  The virus will also delete files on your computer.

      Please, be careful!!!  It is supposedly set to go off on the 3rd of each month.  There have been claims that following the release of the announcement of CME-24, financial institutions have mimicked it to steal files that have your financial information.  Think about it.

      Virginia

    • Kocham_cze
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2006
        --- "Virginia S." <eeching2004@...> wrote:

        > Attachments are sent out to rob people's
        > address books as part of the vicious viruses
        > MO.

        The virus, as someone else mentioned, will forge
        a ramdom address it finds on the victims hard
        drive to make it seem that it is from someone
        else. The only way to prevent attachments from
        going through is to turn that option off in the
        main list settings. Which *is* a shame.
        We might not send attachments as requested, but
        the virus sure will. BTW, the attachment IS the
        virus, you execute (run) the file when you open
        it and it installs itself.

        > If you noticed on
        > the virus emails the extensions on the
        > attachments are not even real extensions!!!

        They are most certainly real executable
        extentions. UUE in this case, is an encoding
        program from way back. I used uue to transfer
        binary files via text based mail over 10 years
        ago, long before the WWW came into being.
        .pif, .scr are two others.

        The ONLY way to be safe from email-borne virus is
        to *never* download mail to your computer
        directly. Do not use McSoft's Outlook. Use Yahoo
        (or any good completely web-based email service)
        instead, it will scan attachments and won't allow
        the download of any infected ones.

        For surfing use a good virus checker that runs in
        the background like AVG. It blocks any incoming
        files from poison pages and peer to peer sharing.

        Update religiously. Some nasties interfere with
        updates, check the last update's date stamp, try
        to update manually and reinstall the program if
        it won't.

        Finally get several (2 or 3) good spyware
        blockers/removers and keep up on updates and run
        those as close to daily as possible.

        This is the advice I give clients, along with the
        "backup, backup, and backup again" mantra.
        Even with the best defenses it is possible to
        "catch" something out there. Be sure inmportant
        data and install programs are backed up in case
        of having to reformat your drives.

        Don't forget to
        Practice safe hex.
        Stef
        aka techno geek

        PS
        --I enjoy reading your posts, and now since I'm
        posting here my address will come to live on many
        of the computers on this list and will be
        available to an infected computer to use as a
        forged "from" addy. Now I'm almost expecting to
        receive an email from "myself" with one of those
        #$%%# attachments.

        http://mail.yahoo.com