Fw: 'tis now! the present moment!

  • Gaele Arnott
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005

      'Tis now! the present Moment!

      The background in today's graphic was taken at Caulfield - I have added a tube from a photo on a German website of Makybe Diva (red saddle cloth)- this years winner of the Melbourne Cup. This was the third win for 'the Diva' and a record in Australian Melbourne Cup history.
      The Melbourne Cup was first run in 1861.
      After yesterday's posting for Halloween - several Aussies wrote to me sharing that they too had forgotten it was Halloween and had experiences of being reminded, but also had plenty of Aussie stories re the Melbourne Cup. I was reminded to mention that it is also not just about the horse race as 'Fashion" plays a big part in the race carnival which lasts about five weeks.
      The Melbourne Cup is held in Melbourne Australia where the climate is much more moderate than here where I live in Queensland.
      I doubt if you would meet anyone, anywhere in Australia who would not know today was Melbourne Cup day. They might not know the names of all the 23 horses running, nor the names of the models brought to OZ for the Fashion Walks..........and there would be very few folk who hadn't had at least a ticket in a sweep.
      Office parties, social parties, neighbourhood parties, clubs and even churches conduct Melbourne Cup parties. Maybe some Churches with a stricter code might not allow 'sweeps' with money - sweeps are almost a mandatory part of the day.
      Melbourne Cup Day bypasses all religious and cultural differences in our society and bonds people together as "Australian"
      Presumably this event became popular in the days when those who had migrated, willingingly or not, to Australia were looking for entertainment.
      Opera houses and theatres were few and far between. The majority of the population were struggling to survive in a land where water is scarce and the sun is Oh, so Hot! By 1861 the colonies were mainly self sufficient but still relied on supplies from time to time from South Africa.
      Bonds grew between Australians and those in South Africa - many families who'd left British Isles had migrated to South Africa, Australia or New Zealand. Communities were connected between the countries.
      In those early days there was a large number of Irish immigrants - horses and gambling were a part of the structure.
      On this day, the first Tuesday in November there are many people like me who become gamblers for the day - I had two tickets in two sweeps - total expenditure $3 and I WON!!!!! $10 great excitement indeed. (Xcitment was the horse - which produced this abundance  for me)
      Australia is a multi-cultural society and I'm sure that the importance of their own religious festivals were not forgotten, except maybe for the three minutes when the Nation stops - to watch with bated breath for the name on their ticket in "The Sweep".

      Fashion at all these social events is of importance - hats are a Must. So I share with you two most glamorous ladies in today's graphic. My Mum and Me. (We think it was taken in 1999 - certainly not since and although I took my camera along this year I forgot to produce it.)

      Maybe the sharing of this anecdote will allow you insight into why Australians are "Aussies"
      where else but here would a horse race take precedence over anything else at all? - pity the poor woman who wants to deliver a baby at 2.40pm on the 1st Tuesday of November. If you ring Australia at that time and the phone rings, and rings and rings......you know why. Someone with a small piece of paper with a horses name scribbled on it is waiting anxiously for their share of "The Sweep."

      until tomorrow
      I wish for you that your heart should sing at something for which you have passion and joy.
      from my heart to your heart in love
      Gaele Arnott, here in Brisbane Australia on the 2nd November, 2005

      Light a Candle for Peace
      I ask that you join me each day at the dinner hour (evening meal)
      in lighting a candle together,
      so that we as One People may dream together for Peace On Earth.
      Together we can create a reality free of greed and manipulation,
      where all people in all lands may have the freedom to move freely without fear or judgement and in unconditional love.
      I ask that the flame burn eternally within our hearts in recognition of all those
      folk who have chosen to leave this planet at this time, so that we may awaken to the role we are
      truly meant to play.

      the midi playing is: De Camptown Races (Stephen Foster)
      Stephen Foster music was popular in the late 19th century when the Melbourne Cup was first run. Of course I've no idea what music would have been played in those days at the races and my research so far has not produced the information I want - so enjoy this one with my love.
      Wild Rover No More - another
      the candle graphic is a snag and share from Roberta in Virginia

      should you wish to be included on the moment list please email me at: gaeleaus@...

      At the current time there is much discussion over whether music may be shared on the internet.
      There are moves to make music readily available without fear of retribution - some musicians will provide
      their music for "free"
      It is my intention to share with you midis I have collected for your personal use.
      There is no commercial interest by me in any midis shared. The music is used to enhance the message
      and the graphic shared with you. If you wish to purchase any soundtrack and have difficulty in doing so
      then I would be pleased to "help you hunt" for that piece through my local music store as I have previously
      done for requested pieces. (especially if they're Australian). Meanwhile enjoy the moment and the music with my love

      Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again, after moments or lifetimes,
      is certain for those who are friends.
      by Richard Bach from The Messiah's Handbook in Illusions
      Evolution is a leap in consciousness

      The Circle of Life is charged with coincidences of the moment.
      To follow your heart in recognizing the power of chance,
      invites the energy of the subconscious mind to create a new reality.
      you might also have to add my screen name to your address book and buddy list to keep it from going into the spam folder
      Fix Spam/Mail ControlsMail and Spam Controls

      Uncheck the box for auto AOL to filter your mail.
      Do this for each screen name you use.
      Look periodically to make sure AOL hasn't
      hanged the settings back to filter your mail.