The Guest

  • mary
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2005

      The Guest

      I have discovered my deep deathless being:
      Masked by my front of mind, immense, serene
      It meets the world with an Immortal's seeing,
      A god-spectator of the human scene.

      No pain and sorrow of the heart and flesh
      Can tread that pure and voiceless sanctuary.
      Danger and fear, Fate's hounds, slipping their leash
      Rend body and nerve, - the timeless Spirit is free.

      Awake, God's ray and witness in my breast,
      In the undying substance of my soul
      Flamelike, inscrutable the almighty Guest.
      Death nearer comes and Destiny takes her toll;

      He hears the blows that shatter Nature's house:
      Calm sits He, formidable, luminous.

      1939

      Sri Aurobindo

      Timeline (1872 - 1950)