Cosmic consciousness -Conch Shell

  • Gaele Arnott
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15 1:44 PM

      Cosmic Consciousness
      'coincidences" as the teacher

      Recently two shells were given to me as gifts - A cowrie shell and a conch shell.
      I only had a vague idea as to the purpose of each. Although the gifts were intended that I should create a vibrational essence for the 'giver', I felt I needed to know more and so began my research. I share just a small portion of my findings with you below. Conch shells are used in many, many cultures and all with similar purposes of intent. I found it of fascination that the Mayans, Polynesians, Tibetans all had a religious and ceremonial use for the Conch shell.
      to sit in meditation and visualise your own hand as Conch shell held over your ear is both balancing and peaceful.
      The sound of the sea did speak to me as I sat chanting the Mantra
      Om Sha Na Ma
      I did read on one site that this meditation would ease the burden to the earth after an earthquake but was unable to retrace my steps to share the URL with you

      with love
      from my heart to Yours
      Gaele

      Some information I found to share with you:

      In Feng Shui shells and fish are symbols of education. Conch shells and koi or goldfish are excellent symbols of educational success. Place the conch shell in the Northeast corner of the bedroom. Or, hang a picture of koi or goldfish in the Northeast corner. It is not recommended to keep live fish in the bedroom as water in the bedroom is associated with loss.

      Mantra, which are chanted (mentally or verbally) before prayer or meditation, are vibrations/sounds which are experienced in higher states of consciousness that are also evident in nature. "AUM", "OM", "AMEN" are examples of mantra which reflect a curved vibration or logarithmic spiral that occurs repeatedly in nature. It is found in outer space, in the design of spider webs, in conch shells, in the sound of waves, in the design of seeds, in the roar of the ocean, etc. For example, the conch shell forms the same curve as a wave just before it breaks and if we put our ear to the shell, we can hear the sound of the ocean. These natural sounds, at the physical level, are approximations of the vibration "AUM", which is considered the seed sound of creation, or the source word containing all sounds or vibrations. Interestingly enough, the Bible refers to this sound as the "Word": "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with The Great Spirit, and the word was The Great Spirit".

      Mantra cannot just be taken from a book and used by the initiate meditator. Mantra represent various aspects of different kinds of enlightened states which are preliminary to the ultimate state of total unification with The Great Spirit. They must be gained experientially from the higher consciousness or given by a meditation teacher (e.g. swami, guru, yogi) who has been directed by higher consciousness to bestow a particular mantra to you based on your personality, circumstances, or needs much in the way that a doctor prescribes medicine. Each mantra is a seed that is actually planted inside of you; each time the mantra is remembered, it has powerful effects on the unconscious mind, giving guidance, joy, direction, and purpose.

      Some Reiki Symbols are obviously Buddhist in origin, but one has always remained mysterious, and it was here that we find a clue. CKR (the Power Symbol) has been compared witha conch shell. Shugendo monks use the conch shell (called The Conch of the Lawor hööra) to announce gatherings, or that work needs to be done, and to signal the arrival or departure of visitors.

      To emphasise the sacred nature of each conch shell they attach two cords (kai no oh), to it - one 15-centimetres long, the other 112 centimetres. One symbolises the idea that the Body of Knowledge is Buddha (chi tai jüü butsu); the other, that the Body of the Innate Reason (or Absolute) is the Buddha (ri tai soku butsu).

      The two together show the perfection of the succession of causes and effects when considered together (ingwa emman) and the importance of the Essential Bodies of Innate Reason and Knowledge. A cord also exists (not attached to the conch) of 16 shaku (about 4,85 m) for novices, of 21 shaku (more than 4,36 m) for veterans and 37 shaku (11.21 m) for directors of pilgrimage.

      To be fair, Japanese Buddhists also accord special meaning to the conch shell - for them, it represents Dharma (Divine Law) - but it seems to be a fairly late development in Japanese Buddhism, and one of the many indigenous practices adopted from Shinto.

      As you will learn, all of the Reiki Symbols apart from CKR can be linked with ease to other relatively well-known sacred symbols. The fact that CKR has been held for some time to represent a conch shell (along with various imaginative explanations for this), and the likelihood that Usui Sensei had exposure to Shugendo via Tendai monks from the Mount Kuruma monastery make it possible - indeed, probable - that he actually received his Reiki enlightenment through using Shugendo techniques.

      Conch in India has from time immemorial had religious and social importance. Blowing of the conch shell during religious functions is considered auspicious amongst the Hindus.

       The conch shell is thought to have been the original horn-trumpet; ancient Indian mythical epics relate heroes carrying conch shells. The Indian god Vishnu is also described as having a conch shell as one of his main emblems; his shell bore the name Panchajanya meaning 'having control over the five classes of beings'.

      The conch shell is an emblem of power, authority and sovereignty; its blast is believed to banish evil spirits, avert natural disasters, and scare away poisonous creatures. In Indian culture, different types of conch shell were associated with the different castes and with male and female.

      In Buddhism, the conch was adopted as a symbol of religious sovereignty and an emblem which fearlessly proclaimed the truth of the dharma. One of the 32 signs of a Buddha's body is his deep and resonant voice, which is artistically symbolized in images of the Buddha by three conch-like curving lines on his throat.

        A shell is made into Tibetan ritual musical instruments by cutting off the end of its tip and furnishing it with a mouthpiece and an ornamental metal casing extending from the shell's mouth.

      WWW.CONCHOLOGISTSOFAMERICA.ORG

      http://9waysmysteryschool.tripod.com/sacredsoundtools/id2.html

      http://www.1-spirit.net/pages/metaphysics/yogictools.htm

      http://www.enchantedspirit.org/FengShui/3679.php

      http://www.reiki-4-all.com/lofiversion/index.php/t1567.html

      the midi palying is: Ocean Gypsy sequenced by Jan Nijhuis
      and was found at:
      if you would like to receive the daily moment message please email me at gaeleaus@...

      At the current time there is much discussion over whether music may be shared on the internet.There are moves to make music readily available without fear of retribution - some musicians will provide their music for "free"
      It is my intention to share with you midis I have collected for your personal use. There is no commercial interest by me in any midis shared. The music is used to enhance the message and the graphic shared with you. If you wish to purchase any soundtrack and have difficulty in doing so then I would be pleased to "help you hunt" for that piece through my local music store as I have previously done for requested pieces. (especially if they're Australian). Meanwhile enjoy the moment and the music with my love

      Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.
      by Richard Bach from The Messiah's Handbook in Illusions

      Evolution is a leap in consciousness

      you might also have to add my screen name to your address book and buddy list to keep it from going into the spam folder
      Fix Spam/Mail ControlsMail and Spam Controls

      Uncheck the box for auto AOL to filter your mail.
      Do this for each screen name you use.
      Look periodically to make sure AOL hasn't
      hanged the settings back to filter your mail.