The meaning of "Shantih"

  • Ambika
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15 12:27 PM

      Dear Friends,

      I have collected two information from two online sources that can take all of us into the insight of the meaning of "Shantih". I hope you find it beneficial.

      Shanti simply means "peace". It's a beautiful meaning and also a very beautiful sound. The shanti is repeated three times, as are many chants in Buddhism. You could interpret this as meaning peace in body, speech, and mind (i.e. in the entirety of one's being), or as a wish for peace individually, collectively, and universally.

      Hindu teachings typically end with the words Om shanti shanti shanti as an invocation of peace, and the mantra is also used to conclude some Buddhist devotional ceremonies.

      Shanti means peace. Peace is the mental equilibrium that all spiritual aspirants strive to attain. In spiritual terms it also connotates brahma-nirvana - extinction in the Absolute. This is the highest state often referred to by Sri Swamiji. Peace is a most essential quality in the ancient Upanishads. It is invoked at the beginning and end of each Upanishad chapter. There is a group of special Shanti mantras. At the close of each, the word Shanti is chanted three times. This is to remove the three kinds of suffering - personal, external and atmospheric. Shanti is also the name of the Peace Goddess, the daughter of Shraddha (faith) and friend of Karuna (compassion).

      Swamiji says that the body was born out of physical desire and as such it is always searching for satisfaction of its desires. The atma, the true Self, arises from the Divine, whose nature is pure peace, thus the Self always strive to attain its original peaceful state. This is the state of super-consciousness beyond the material, physical and mental worlds. It is that peace which is described as the peace that passes all understanding.

      Om Shantih

      Yahoo! Messenger - want a free & easy way to contact your friends online?