A Tear And A Smile

  • mary
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005

      A Tear And A Smile
        Kahlil Gibran

      I would not exchange the sorrows of my heart
        for the joys of the multitude.
        And I would not have the tears that sadness makes
        to flow from my every part turn into laughter.

        I would that my life remain a tear and a smile.

        A tear to purify my heart and give me understanding
        of life's secrets and hidden things.
        A smile to draw me nigh to the sons of my kind and
        to be a symbol of my glorification of the gods.

        A tear to unite me with those of broken heart;
        a smile to be a sign of my joy in existence.

        I would rather that I died in yearning and longing than
        that I live weary and despairing.

        I want the hunger for love and beauty to be in the
        depths of my spirit,for I have seen those who are
        satisfied the most wretched of people.
        I have heard the sigh of those in yearning and longing,
        and it is sweeter than the sweetest melody.

        With evening's coming the flower folds her petals
        and sleeps, embracing her longing.
        At morning's approach she opens her lips to meet
        the sun's kiss.

        The life of a flower is longing and fulfilment.
        A tear and a smile.

      The waters of the sea become vapor
      and rise and come together
      and are a cloud.

      And the cloud floats above the hills and valleys
        until it meets the gentle breeze, then falls weeping
        to the fields and joins with brooks and rivers to return
        to the sea, its home.

        The life of clouds is a parting and a meeting.
        A tear and a smile.

        And so does the spirit become separated from
        the greater spirit to move in the world of matter
        and pass as a cloud over the mountain of sorrow
        and the plains of joy to meet the breeze of death
        and return whence it came.

        To the ocean of Love and Beauty----to God.

      '