Re: << lovingpurelove >> simply the present moment -90th anniversary Anzac Day 05

  • Lisa Gabriel
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2005
      Thank you for your mail about Anzac Day, and particularly the lyrics of Eric Bogle's song which I used to sing in folk clubs in the UK, back when I sand in folk clubs....

      love and light,

      Lisa

      Gaele Arnott <gaeleaus@...> wrote:

       Here in Australia it is Anzac Day - today is the 90th anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli
      In Australia and New Zealand one in nie of the male popultaion were killed and thousands and thousands more were badly wounded.
      It was one of the greatest military 'bungles' of all times..........and yet from these bungles a nation was truly born.
      The population gathered together to form the spirit of Anzac. Anzac is the Australian adn New Zealand army copr - but - Anzac is the how all Australians began to see themselves.
      Anzac was an acronym created by a clerk in an office to save himself typing the full title.
      We ahve all become the spirit of Anzac
      NO MORE WAR! was the outcry.
      As AUstralians we support the cry for peace and will fight if necessary aognside our borthers in any part of the world to create peace.
      Peace is a long time in coming and there seem to be many, many wars.

      One of the best aspects of the Anzac tradition is the friendship forged between Australia and Turkey.
      They too lost many of their young men - fighting a political war for which the world was the pawn.
      It has becoem a pilgrimmage of honour to travel to Turkey each year and share in the celebrations hosted by the Turkish nation. Australians, New Zealanders adn Turks beceom one people in their quest for peace and that desire thatt NO! MORE! will so many young men be taken from us in the name of power and greed.

      The pilgrammage shared by these three antions shows us that peace can be gained and friendships formed. History will allow us to also share friendships with the the nations of the middle east.
      There will be the day when we The People of the Earth are as One - united in family trust as friends.

      Anzac stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corp 1914-1918
      Each year thousands of Australians and New Zealanders make a trek to Turkey and Gallipoli - Anzac Cove to honour the memories of those who died in war and to ask of this world that we become a place of peace.

      The young men went to war and became old men who passed away.
      These photos are of men in my family who served their country at war.
      Theirs was the conscience of the culture at that time.
      We honour what they chose to do as I honour those men and women who choose the military service of their country.
      I am an activist of peace and in the memory of all who served their countries so honourably my wish is that war shall cease.
      I wish for no more young people to die and leave behind such intolerable grief.

      On TV the oldest living soldier (103) capable of attending a memorial service was interviewed and he said that he felt war was abhorrent and his lasting wish was for peace. No more young men and women as fodder to greed.

      let there be Peace and let it begin with me

      The photos from the Boer War came from a collection belonging to
      Valma Mary Arnott (1919-2003)
      Val Arnott with Susan (great niece) at William's (great, great nephew) christening

      Valma Mary was the youngest daughter of William and Susan (nee Waterfield) Arnott

      Val was well known in Australia through her association with journalists and writers.
      For many years she had a syndicated radio programme issuing from Melbourne Australia

      the midi playing is: and The Band played Waltzing Matilda (lyrics below)
      if you would like to receive the daily 'moment" email please email me at gaeleaus@...

      and The band Played Waltzing Matilda

      When I was a young man I carried my pack
      And I lived the free life of a rover
      From the Murrays green basin to the dusty outback
      I waltzed my Matilda all over
      Then in nineteen fifteen my country said Son
      It's time to stop rambling 'cause there's work to be done
      So they gave me a tin hat and they gave me a gun
      And they sent me away to the war
      And the band played Waltzing Matilda
      As we sailed away from the quay
      And amidst all the tears and the shouts and the cheers
      We sailed off to Gallipoli

      How well I remember that terrible day
      How the blood stained the sand and the water
      And how in that hell that they called Suvla Bay
      We were butchered like lambs at the slaughter
      Johnny Turk he was ready, he primed himself well
      He chased us with bullets, he rained us with shells
      And in five minutes flat he'd blown us all to hell
      Nearly blew us right back to Australia
      But the band played Waltzing Matilda
      As we stopped to bury our slain
      We buried ours and the Turks buried theirs
      Then we started all over again

      Now those that were left, well we tried to survive
      In a mad world of blood, death and fire
      And for ten weary weeks I kept myself alive
      But around me the corpses piled higher
      Then a big Turkish shell knocked me arse over tit
      And when I woke up in my hospital bed
      And saw what it had done, I wished I was dead
      Never knew there were worse things than dying
      For no more I'll go waltzing Matilda
      All around the green bush far and near
      For to hump tent and pegs, a man needs two legs
      No more waltzing Matilda for me

      So they collected the cripples, the wounded, the maimed
      And they shipped us back home to Australia
      The armless, the legless, the blind, the insane
      Those proud wounded heroes of Suvla
      And as our ship pulled into Circular Quay
      I looked at the place where my legs used to be
      And thank Christ there was nobody waiting for me
      To grieve and to mourn and to pity
      And the band played Waltzing Matilda
      As they carried us down the gangway
      But nobody cheered, they just stood and stared
      Then turned all their faces away

      And now every April I sit on my porch
      And I watch the parade pass before me
      And I watch my old comrades, how proudly they march
      Reliving old dreams of past glory
      And the old men march slowly, all bent, stiff and sore
      The forgotten heroes from a forgotten war
      And the young people ask, "What are they marching for?"
      And I ask myself the same question
      And the band plays Waltzing Matilda
      And the old men answer to the call
      But year after year their numbers get fewer
      Some day no one will march there at all

      Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
      Who'll come a waltzing Matilda with me
      And their ghosts may be heard as you pass the Billabong
      Who'll come-a-waltzing Matilda with me?

      copyright © Eric Bogle

      Note: If you're curious about the song Waltzing Matilda, a great deal of information and lyrics can be found here and here.

      At the current time there is much controversy over music being shared on the internet. It is my intention to share with you midis I have collected for your personal use. There is no commercial interest by me in any midis shared. The music is used to enhance the message and the graphic shared with you. If you wish to purchase any soundtrack and have difficulty in doing so then I would be pleased to "help you hunt" for that piece through my local music store as I have previously done for requested pieces. (especially if they're Australian). It is my 'hope' that I will be granted a licence to continue sending music as the internet music laws change. At the moment it is tracking the 'right' organisation to which I may 'belong', in order to do so. I have also requested several friends whom compose music if I may have pieces which may be shared with you all. I will let you all know how this develops as time progresses. Meanwhile enjoy the moment and the music with my love

      At the current time there is much discussion over whether music may be shared on the internet.There are moves to make music readily available without fear of retribution - some musicians will provide their music for "free"
      It is my intention to share with you midis I have collected for your personal use. There is no commercial interest by me in any midis shared. The music is used to enhance the message and the graphic shared with you. If you wish to purchase any soundtrack and have difficulty in doing so then I would be pleased to "help you hunt" for that piece through my local music store as I have previously done for requested pieces. (especially if they're Australian). Meanwhile enjoy the moment and the music with my love

      Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.
      by Richard Bach from The Messiah's Handbook in Illusions

      Evolution is a leap in consciousness

      you might also have to add my screen name to your address book and buddy list to keep it from going into the spam folder
      Fix Spam/Mail ControlsMail and Spam Controls

      Uncheck the box for auto AOL to filter your mail.
      Do this for each screen name you use.
      Look periodically to make sure AOL hasn't
      hanged the settings back to filter your mail.