Anti cancer properties of Green Tea

  • David Fiske
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2005
      As an enthusiastic green tea drinker (especially Japanese) I though
      you would be interested to read of its effects. Also check my
      webpage (www.esotericarts.org) click on topics and then green tea
      where a student in my School of Esoteric Arts has some interesting
      facts, how to store, how to make, tea ceremonies etc.
      Love,
      David
      Anti-Cancer Compound in Green Tea Identified
      By Patricia Reaney, Reuters
      Mar 15, 2005, 15:16

      Spanish and British scientists have discovered how green tea helps
      to prevent certain types of cancer.
      Researchers at the University of Murcia in Spain (UMU) and the John
      Innes Center (JIC) in Norwich, England have shown that a compound
      called EGCG in green tea prevents cancer cells from growing by
      binding to a specific enzyme.
      "We have shown for the first time that EGCG, which is present in
      green tea at relatively high concentrations, inhibits the enzyme
      dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR), which is a recognized, established
      target for anti-cancer drugs, " Professor Roger Thorneley, of JIC,
      told Reuters.
      "This is the first time, to our knowledge, a known target for an
      anti-cancer drug has been identified as being inhibited by EGCG," he
      added.
      Green tea has about five times as much EGCG as regular tea, studies
      have shown. It decreased rates of certain cancers but scientists
      were not sure what compounds were involved or how they worked. Nor
      had they determined how much green tea a person would have to drink
      to have a beneficial effect, he said.
      Thorneley said EGCG is probably just one of a number of anti-cancer
      mechanisms in green tea.
      "We have identified this enzyme in tumor cells that EGCG targets and
      understand how it stops this enzyme from making DNA. This means we
      may be able to develop new anti-cancer drugs based on the structure
      of the EGCG molecule," Thorneley explained.
      The scientists decided to look at ECGC after they realized its
      structure was similar to a cancer drug called methotrexate.
      "We discovered that EGCG can kill cancer cells in the same way as
      methotrexate," Dr Jose Neptuno Rodriguez-Lopez, of UMU, a joint
      author of the research published in the journal Cancer Research.
      EGCG binds strongly to DHFR, which is essential in both healthy and
      cancerous cells. But it does not bind as tightly as methotrexate, so
      its side effects on healthy cells could be less severe than those of
      the drug.
      Thorneley said EGCG could be a lead compound for new anti-cancer
      drugs.
      The findings could also explain why women who drink large amounts of
      green tea around the time they conceive and early in their pregnancy
      may have an increased risk of having a child with spina bifida or
      other neural tube disorders.
      Women are advised to take supplements of folic acid because it
      protects against spina bifida. But large amounts of green tea could
      decrease the effectiveness of folic acid.
      "This enzyme, (DHFR), is the one folic acid supplements are given
      for. Folic acid deficiency leads to neural tube development
      defects," Thorneley added.

      Earth Changes TV