    Session Two -- HATRED Acknowledging hatred in us is very difficult. Most of us don t want to do it. We often use less violent terms to describe it. We
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2004

      Session Two -- HATRED

      Acknowledging hatred in us is very difficult.

      Most of us don’t want to do it.

      We often use less violent terms to describe it. We “dislike, can’t stand, don’t understand.”

      Yet, it’s obvious that people behave as though they hate some people, want to and do.

      For we find way of destroying them by bomb, sanctions, capital punishment, abandonment, and other ways.

      Other words for hatred are “loathe, despise, detest.”
      These attitudes don’t make it easier, but they are powerfully descriptive.

      Now we are going to explore hatred and what we might do about it.

      I think we hate what we fear, and we’re going to approach it, as it seems to exist in others and ourselves.

      Quotes & Questions for Discussion:

      1. “Perhaps everything terrible is, in it’s deepest being, something that needs our love.”

      Ranier Maria Rilke.

      . Can you think of someone or something terrible that might need your love?

      . In rethinking this today, what might you do?

      . If you could cross your barrier of fear and hatred, what might you do today?

      2. “In a situation where there is an oppressor and an oppressed, the natural tendency might well be to feel such sympathy with the oppressed that we cannot avoid revulsion at the oppressor.

      This however is contrary to peace making based on hope for reconciliation.
      As Paolo Freire wrote: ‘The people who appear to be responsible for the oppression are maimed by what they are doing.’ They must be rescued from the total situation.”

      Adam Curle, Senior Quaker International Mediator

      . What might enable you to listen to people you consider oppressors -- like

      Hitler, Saddam Hussein, or Slobodan Milosovic?

      . Would you need to know how the person was maimed, or would you simply assume it from his behavior?

      Any other way?

      . Could you create a ‘safe place’ for them?

      3. Alice Miller, author of the book Paths of Life, wrote this of hatred: “I see it as a consequence of rage and despair that cannot be consciously felt by a child who has been neglected and maltreated before he or she has learned to speak.

      As long as this anger... remains unconscious or disavowed, it cannot be dissipated.

      It can only be taken out on oneself or alleged enemies.”

      . If punishment, jail or capital punishment does not make people better, what might?

      4. In Buddhism there is a saying: “If you have an enemy, give him or her a gift.”

      . Can you think of a gift you might give someone you know personally who has harmed you?

      . What gift might you give to a public figure like Hitler, Milosovic, or Saddam Hussein? (Hitler, as did Saddam Hussein, is reported to have had exceptionally brutal childhoods.)  (WONDER WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED??????????) OSAMA BIN LADEN  --------add your own NAMES