Four Fools in a Cave

  • nachiketan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2004
      Four Fools in a Cave

      Four persons decided to go into silence.  They moved into a cave;
      they wanted to live in silence for 3 months because they had heard
      so much about it.  They had become very intrigued - they were
      ambitions to gain something out of it.  It was not understanding
      that had brought them to the cave; it was greed, it was desire,
      ambition.  Hence within minutes everything was exposed.

      Just within minutes the first man said, "I wonder whether I have put
      the candle out or now?  It will be a sheer wastage, there is nobody
      in the house!"

      The second one said, "You fool! You have spoken! And we have taken
      the vow of silence."

      The third one laughed and said, "You are a greater fool!  If he had
      spoken, what was the need for you to speak?"

      And the fourth one said, "Thank God, I am the only one who has not
      spoken yet."

      Just by being silent nothing changes, you remain the same.
      Transformation comes through awareness.  Awareness brings a silence
      of it is own, very alive, throbbing with eternity, full of a song.
      It is not sad and not serious because it is not dead, it has a dance
      to it.  It is tremendously beautiful, it is positive, existential.
      It does not make you just a hollow thing.  It makes you so full that
      you start overflowing with joy.  You become so fulfilled that you
      cannot contain your contentment within yourself, you have to share
      it.  You become a cloud full of rainwater.  You have to shower it.

      Excerpt from The Dhammapada: The Way of the Buddha.
      www.Osho.com