Thought for the Day 10/31/04

  • Shay
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2004

       Jung was once asked if he believed in God. His reply was that he didn't believe, he knew.

      Let's not go too far with this and say that believing means you don't know. But let's do look at what it means to believe and what it means to know, where they meet and overlap, where they separate and become different things.

      The mind attempts certain kinds of understanding that spirit goes beyond, making mind a very pedestrian way of traveling the path to truth. Yet mind does make sense of what spirit comes to. Trying to distinguish between knowing and believing can make a certain kind of point in a certain conversation and still not really prove anything philosophically.

      I love that little remark by Jung. I saw him make it in a filmed interview. It was the perfect answer to the reporter's question at the time.

      But the truth is that I don't even really know what I know.

      If I really believed in or knew God, I would not be afraid of death, the future, the crimes and wars of humanity. But I do sometimes react to those things as if there were no divine protection.

      I had a near death experience and came to a truly deep feeling that death will be a beautiful thing. So I can say that I know that. I believe that. Yet there is a part of me that denies it, still fears.

      We are not so simple that a clear thought defines and ends the discussion. There is always more to be revealed.

      I love and trust the divine process, not necessarily the conclusions I have come to through it. I need to continue my growth, knowing that I don't know, having the humility to be continually open to new ways of looking at things I may think I know.

      In the stillness I let go of all that I know so that more will be revealed. The emptiness can be filled easily, beautifully. But when I am filled with what I think I know, there's no room to grow.

      Hmmmm.....poem there:

            When you think you truly know,
            There is no more room to grow.

      Emanations
      Copyright � 2004  by John MacEnulty
      10/30/2004, St. Louis, MO

      Although I am using the Yahoo system to send out the Thought for the Day, you may still write to me at Eman8tions@... and I will be happy to hear from you. Or you can simply hit reply and I will receive your email though it will not actually be posted.

      It is not necessary to subscribe to Yahoo in order to read Emanations Thought for the Day. You may simply visit Yahoo Groups Eman8tions and anyone can access the archives to read the daily message(s).

      To receive Emanations daily, please sign on to Yahoo at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eman8tions/  and request Emanations Thought for the Day. Please sign on to accept
      "special notices". There's no cost for a Yahoo account, of course.

      Please feel free to forward Emanations to anyone you think will enjoy it or benefit from it.
      If you are receiving Emanations as a forward please feel free to subscribe for yourself.

      Web site address: http://Emanations.net/

      Donations in support of these writings may be sent to John MacEnulty, PO Box 1925, St. Louis MO 63118  or go to the website and use PayPal to make a gift.

      Do you Yahoo!?