A Hindu Thought

  • nachiketan
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 19, 2004
      A Hindu Thought

      A king asked a sage to explain the Truth. In response the sage asked the king how he would convey the taste of a mango to someone who had never eaten anything sweet. No matter how hard the king tried, he could not adequately describe the flavor of the fruit, and, in frustration, he demanded of the sage "Tell me then, how would you describe it?" The sage picked up a mango and handed it to the king saying "This is very sweet. Try eating it!"

      -Hindu Teaching Story

    • luvpotion121
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 20, 2004
        Thank goodness for the sweetest fruits of the Hindi.
        Where would we be without them? Not so far I imagine,
        so thank you ever so graciously for the nectar, Nachi.

        Love, Polly

        --- In lovingpurelove@yahoogroups.com, "nachiketan" <nachi@H...>
        wrote:
        > A Hindu Thought
        >
        > A king asked a sage to explain the Truth. In response the sage
        asked the king how he would convey the taste of a mango to someone
        who had never eaten anything sweet. No matter how hard the king
        tried, he could not adequately describe the flavor of the fruit, and,
        in frustration, he demanded of the sage "Tell me then, how would you
        describe it?" The sage picked up a mango and handed it to the king
        saying "This is very sweet. Try eating it!"

        > -Hindu Teaching Story

      • nachiketan
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21, 2004
          A Hindu Thought

          This Self who gives rise to all works, all desires, all odors, all tastes, who pervades the universe, who is beyond words, who is joy abiding, who is ever present in my heart, is Brahman indeed.
          To him I shall attain when my ego dies.

          -Chandogya Upanishad
          Excerpted from The Upanishads
        • nachiketan
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 26, 2004
            A Hindu Thought

            Whatever takes form is false.
            Only the formless endures.

            When you understand
            The truth of this teaching,
            You will not be born again.

            For God is infinite,
            Within the body and without,
            Like a mirror,
            And the image in a mirror.

            As the air is everywhere,
            Flowing around a pot
            And filling it,
            So God is everywhere,
            Filling all things
            And flowing through them forever.

            -Ashtavakra Gita 1: 18-20
          • nachiketan
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 26, 2004
              A Hindu Thought

              What can be gained by thinking about the scriptures?
              What fools!
              They think themselves to death with information about the path,
              but never take the plunge!

              -Ramakrishna
            • nachiketan
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
                A Hindu Thought

                Three men went into the jungle on different occasions and saw a chameleon.
                "A chameleon is red," said the first man.
                "No a chameleon is green," said the second man.
                 "Nonsense, a chameleon is brown," said the third man.
                Those who disagree about the nature of God are like these three men.

                -Hindu Teaching Story
              • Ilanalotus
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004

                  President Bush and the Formula of Compassion
                  By Jelaila Starr
                  Written September 29, 2004

                  If anything , this is a loving take and something we may be able to apply to all situations for ourselves (me)

                  .

                  with Love,

                  Irena

                  Simply by the act of starting to heal your life, you spark the healing of others and of the world in which we live. You don't need to force this idea on other people. The quiet act of living in accordance with who you are and who you can be allows the natural influence of goodness to grow.

                  Quote from Christopher Hansarrd

                  Do you Yahoo!?