[Panhala] Czeslaw Milosz (1911-2004)

  • Shay
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2004
      Czeslaw Milosz died Saturday.
      He fought against political tyranny but never lost sight that full freedom
      includes liberating the human spirit.
      We are all workers in the field....

      LATE RIPENESS

      Not soon, as late as the approach of my ninetieth year,
      I felt a door opening in me and I entered
      the clarity of early morning.

      One after another my former lives were departing,
      Like ships, together with their sorrow.

      And the countries, cities, gardens, the bays of seas
      assigned to my brush came closer,
      ready now to be described better than they were before.

      I was not separated from people,
      grief and pity joined us.
      We forget -- I kept saying -- that we are all children of
      the King.

      For where we come from there is no division
      Into Yes and No, into is, was, and it will be.

      We were miserable, we used no more than a hundredth part
      of the gift we received for our long journey.

      Moments from yesterday and from centuries ago --
      a sword blow, the painting of eyelashes before a mirror
      of polished metal, a lethal musket shot, a caravel
      staving its hull against a reef -- they dwell in us,
      waiting for a fulfillment.

      I knew, always, that I would be a worker in the vineyard,
      as are all men and women living at the same time,
      whether they are aware of it or not.

      ~ Czeslaw Milosz ~

      (Czeslaw Milosz: New and Collected Poems (1931-2001))

      (contributed by Patricia Wintyr)

      Web version: www.panhala.net/Archive/Late_Ripeness.html

      Web archive of Panhala postings:
      www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html