Re: << lovingpurelove >> Confession: Absolution

  • Hilary Starke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
      Dear Nachi

      Don't worry about it - please dont.  If you will accept it from me - this is absolution.  If I can forgive myself anything, and I have done .... we are all okay.  And better.

      Love and hugs to all

      Hils
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
        Hello Nachi:

        I try very hard not to condemn, criticize or judge people because these are three things that Unity teaches its followers not to do.  My ex-minister in Washington, DC, the one who was my first spiritual mentor and the reason I am now on the path I am on, used to emphasize this in every class and every service.  His idea is that if we would all stop condemning, criticizing, or judging ourselves as well as all the others around us, the world would be much better for all of us.  And I was reminded of this for over 12 years. two or three times a week, and I still forget some of the time and judge people too harshly, but I usually judge myself or condemn or criticize myself more than I do others.  I have always felt like everything was my fault, no matter what it is, so I always take the blame for things that happen, whether they are my fault or not.

        I am learning in the spiritual class I now attend on Wednesday nights that this is as wrong as condemning, criticizing or judging others--taking the blame for everything which just makes you filled with guilt.  What I am trying to learn to do is take responsibility for myself and my actions and for allowing myself to get into the situations I get into--without blame, criticism, condemnation or judgment.  And yet  and still, even with all this, I still mess up more than I would like to do.

        And you have to admit, in this world, there are ugly people, and while the people can't help the way they look, it is hard not to judge some of the time.  As I have said before about when I meet someone I don't like and don't know why, trying to meet them on soul level because at that level, everybody can meet because all souls are pure, I do the somewhat the same thing with people I meet who are ugly.  I look at them and try to find something good about them to concentrate on, like do they have nice hands, are they dressed nicely, do they get along well with others, etc., etc., etc.  If you try hard you can always find something good about them, and then when you look at that and concentrate on that part of their character, the way they look will cease to be important or at least it will not matter as much.

        But please don't be hard on yourself because I am sure that you were not mean or hateful to her.  And as long as you recognize what you did and are now making amends, that seems to me to be all the atoning you need to do.  So relax and just promise yourself that the next time you see someone like that, you will try to find someone good about them.  It may be hard to do, but there will be something good in them, and if you look hard enough, you can always find it.

        Now that you have talked to us and talked to God, I think this should be something that you consider to be a closed subject because you have punished yourself quite enough. I know nothing about absolution because I have never been a Catholic, but God says that when  we confess our sins (which the Course in Miracles calls 'missing the mark) , we will be forgiven.  And from where I am sitting, you have done that in spades, so stop punishing yourself right now.  After all, you are only human and no human being is perfect because we  all make mistakes.  And that's really all you did--was make a mistake.

        Now wrap your arms around yourself and give yourself a big hug and pretend it is from me because whether you believe it or not, you are a very special and beautiful person.

        Peace, love, light and angel hugs,

        Patti