Re: A Taste Of Wisdom

  • savitrica
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi Nachi,
      Wonderful Posting. Thanks for sharing.

      Savitri

      --- In lovingpurelove@yahoogroups.com, "nachiketan" <nachi@H...>
      wrote:

      > An ageing Hindu master grew tired of his apprentice complaining,
      and so,one morning, sent him for some salt. When the apprentice
      returned, the master instructed the unhappy young man to put a
      handful of salt in a glass of water and then to drink it.

      > "How does it taste?" the master asked.
      >
      > "Bitter," spit the apprentice.
      >
      > The master chuckled and then asked the young man to take the same
      handful of salt and put it in the lake. The two walked in silence to
      the nearby lake, and once the apprentice swirled his handful of salt
      in the water, the old man said, "Now drink from the lake."

      > As the water dripped down the young man's chin, the master asked,
      > "How does it taste?"
      > "Fresh," remarked the apprentice.
      > "Do you taste the salt?" asked the master.
      > "No," said the young man.
      >
      > At this, the master sat beside this serious young man who so
      reminded him of himself and took his hands, offering:

      > "The pain of life is pure salt; no more, no less. The amount of
      pain in life remains exactly the same. However, the amount of
      bitterness we taste depends on the container we put the pain in. So
      when you are in pain, the only thing you can do is to enlarge your
      sense of things . . .