On the Yoga of Meditation

  • Polly Menendez
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2000
      Patti, your poetry is so beautiful, filled with love and joy. In the
      same vein of expressing your Inner Spirit to us in the form of such
      beautiful poetry, I share with you all a few words found in the
      Bhagavad-Gita, God(Krishna in this case) speaking to Arjuna, in the
      chapter called Yoga of Meditation.

      Now that he holds it
      He knows this treasure
      Above all others:
      Faith so certain
      Shall never be shaken
      By heaviest sorrow.

      To achieve this certainty is to know the real meaning of the word
      yoga. It is the breaking of contact with pain. You must pratice
      this yoga resolutely, without losing heart. Renounce all your
      desires, forever. They spring from willfulness. Use your
      discrimination to restrain the whole pack of the scattering senses.

      Patiently, little by little, a man must fee himself from all mental
      distractions, with the aid of the intelligent will. He must fix his
      mind upon the Atman (Indwelling Spirit), and never think of anything
      else. No matter where the restless and the unquiet mind wanders, it
      must be drawn back and made to submit to the Atman only.

      Utterly quiet,
      Made clean of passion,
      The mind of the yogi
      Knows that Brahman (God of All)
      His bliss is the hightest.

      Released from evil
      His mind is constant
      In contemplation:
      The way is easy,
      Brahman has touched him.
      That bliss is boundless.

      His heart is with Brahman,
      His eye in all things
      Sees only Brahman
      Equally present,
      Knows his own Atman
      In every creature,
      And all creation
      Within that Atman.

      That yogi sees me in all things, and all things within me. He
      never loses sight of me, nor I of him. He is established in union
      with me, and worships me devoutly in all beings. That yogi abides in
      me, no matter what his mode of life.

      =============================

      God (Brahman) is Lord of all creation, all pervading the Universe,
      and indwells all life with Atman (Spirit). The wondrous love and joy
      we feel is revealed within us as we allow our Indwelling Spirit to
      lead our existence and devote ourselves to union with God. God is
      present everywhere. Worship this Presence, within you, same as
      others, as well as all around us.

      Love, Polly
    • pattimaris1675@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 14, 2000
        Thank you Polly, that was great. I indeed enjoyed it.
        Patio