52217SpaceWeather.com: Draconid Meteor Shower and Incoming CME

    Oct 7, 2012
      I am definitely going to be out and viewing the meteor shower tonight/tomorrow morning. :)

      Space Weather News for Oct. 7, 2012
      http://spaceweather.com

      DRACONID METEOR WATCH: Earth is about to pass through a stream of debris from comet 21P/Giacobini-Zinner, source of the annual Draconid meteor shower.  Last year, Europeans witnessed a faint but furious outburst of 600 meteors per hour when the shower peaked.  No such display is expected this year, but the Draconids are notoriously unpredictable.  Northern-hemisphere sky watchers should be alert for slow-moving meteors emerging from the head of the constellation Draco the Dragon (not far from the North Star) on Sunday night, Oct 7th, through Monday morning Oct. 8th. Check http://spaceweather.com for more information and updates.

      INCOMING CME:  A coronal mass ejection (CME) is heading for Earth.  The incoming cloud is expected to deliver a glancing blow to our planet's magnetosphere on October 8th, possibly sparking auroras at high latitudes.  Would you like a phone call when the CME arrives?  Geomagnetic storm alerts are available from http://spaceweathertext.com (text) and http://spaceweatherphone.com (voice).

      Don't just watch meteors, wear them.  Authentic meteorite jewelry is available in the Space Weather Store:  http://www.shopspaceweather.com

      You are subscribed to the Space Weather mailing list, a free service of Spaceweather.com.

      New subscribers may sign up for free space weather alerts at  http://spaceweather.com/services/ .