41690DailyOM: Plunging Into The Deep

    Nov 4, 2008
      This message involves some very areas, some fears, that I was dealing with late last night. The analogy of plunging into the deep is quite descriptive and also speaks solidly for me. I think of when we were all children to teens and going atop the diving board and plunging in deep after we jumped off. Whether it be the diving board, from the side of the pool or in the water to go under and swim to the bottom all illustrated the varying methods but the end result being the same scenario. It is important for us to realize it is alright to be scared and that some of our deepest, most resonating insights, compassion, wisdom, etc come from when we are facing our fears. Look at some of the most renowned authors, painters, sculpturers, etc in history. Many of them had lifes that were a continual challenge. They each had fears within their lives but look how they moved through them and came to create a novel, a painting, etc which the world still marvels and displays. That is one reminder of how we can transform our fears into our highest creative expressions. Namaste

      Today's DailyOM brought to you by:

      November 4, 2008
      Plunging Into The Deep
      Life Can Be Scary
      Life can take us on a roller coaster ride full of highs and lows and twists and turns. Even for those of us who enjoy unexpected thrills, it’s frightening to suddenly find ourselves heading for a deep plunge. Yet, it happens to all of us. At these moments, it is important to remember that you are not alone in your experiences. No matter how brave, strong, or levelheaded we are, sometimes, we all get scared.

      Our fears may revolve around our physical safety, particularly if we are not feeling well, living under difficult circumstances, or doing work that exposes us to hazardous conditions. Or, we may be experiencing financial woes that are causing us to be fearful about making ends meet. We may also fear the loss of a loved one who is sick, or we may be scared of never finding someone special to spend our life with. We may be scared to start at a new school, begin a different job, move to a new town, or meet new people. Whatever our fears are, they are valid, and we do not need to feel ashamed or embarrassed that we are, at times, afraid.

      It may be comforting to know that everyone gets scared, and it is perfectly OK. Sometimes just acknowledging our fears is enough to make us feel better. And while it sometimes takes a lot more to ease our mind, we can console ourselves with the knowledge that life can be scary at times. Giving ourselves permission to be scared lets us move through our fears so we can let it go. It also makes it alright to share our fears with others. Sharing our apprehensions with other people can make our fears less overwhelming because we are not letting them grow inside of us as pent up emotions. Sharing our fears also can lighten our burden because we are not carrying our worries all by ourselves. Remember that you are not alone.
      What do you think?
      Discuss this article and share your opinion
      Want more DailyOM?
      Register for your free email, or browse all articles
       Life Can Be Scary
      Share the OM:
      Email this to a friend
      Printable version
      Save in My DailyOM
      Discuss this article
      Today's friend of OM:
      Using sound for health and self-transformation may be the major key to maintaining a balanced, harmonious presence on this planet. In this 8-week course with world renowned sound healer Jonathan Goldman you'll learn the hows and whys of sound healing as well as great techniques designed to give you profound experiences of the power of sound.
      For more information visit DailyOM.com/courses
      Home | Gift Shop | My DailyOM | Marketplace | Community | Archives | Share The OM | Contact Us
      Subscribe | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Gift Shop FAQ | Advertising Info
      Make DailyOM Your Homepage | Link To Us | Publish DailyOM On Your Website
      © 2004-08 DailyOM - All Rights Reserved
      No portion of this site can be reprinted without express permission
      Artwork by Wang Chang-Ming