39424"A Cherokee Feast Of Days"........JANUARY 1 ( ONE )

  • Barbara Bailey
    Jan 1, 2008
      A Cherokee Feast Of Days

      JANUARY

      COLD MONTH
      UNU LA TA NEE'
      January 1
      A new day, a new year, a new era. Many moons
      have passed and they were not all spent in
      good pursuits. We spent time lavishly, we be-
      stowed a profusion of attention on people and cir-
      cumstances unworthy of our purpose. I am young
      and have all the time in the world, or I am old now
      and there's no need to try this late in life.
      Youth counts the hours the way Abram counted
      the stars. The aged bow to these words of Chief
      Joseph of the Nez Perce: "Hear me my chiefs! I am
      tired, my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun
      now stands I will fight no more." But we cannot
      decide in one moment how many moons we have.
      The Great Spirit sees our hearts and loves us any-
      way. We ask permission to do well with this new
      time and we know we are not alone.

      The frog does not drink up the pond in which he
      lives.
      -TETON SIOUX

       By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler