38877Today's Feast

  • Barbara Bailey
    Nov 12, 2007

      Today's Feast

      Misery seems to justify making
      someone pay--but there is sweet revenge in finding
      our own inner spirit can expand quickly to push
      out unfairness and bitterness.
      Who doesn't have the right to be bitter? A
      hard thing to forget, a mountain to overcome--but
      such peace follows. Peace spreads like warm honey
      across a hot biscuit and permeates all the little
      places that capture and hold it. The heart lifts its
      hands in praise for relief from the darkness of bitter
      memories. All of us can do it--all of us must if we
      are to be well and have something to share. Just let
      it go. Life will balance the books, it always does.

      While living I want to live well.
      GERONIMO
      CHIRACAHUA APACHE

       By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

      Indian Heroes:  Sitting Bull (Sioux),  Captain Jack (Modoc);
      Two Moon (Cheyenne); Red Cloud (Sioux);
      Geronimo (Apache); Quanah Parker (Commanche)
      Crazy Horse (Sioux)

      365 Days of Walking the Red Road
      Brother, listen to us, your younger
      brothers. As we see something in your
      eyes that looks dissatisfaction, we now
      clear them. You have credited bad sto-
      ries against us. We clean your ears,
      that you may hear better hereafter. We
      wish to remove every thing bad from
      your heart, that you may be as good as
      your ancestors. We saw you coming
      with an uplifted tomahawk in your
      hand. We now take it from you, and
      throw it up to God. Brother, as you are
      a warrior, take hold of this chain of
      friendship, and let us think no more of
      war, in pity of our old men, women,
      and children. We, too, are warriors.
      -RED HAWK, SHAWNEE,
      ADDRESSING BRITISH COLONEL HENRY BOUQUET,
      NOVEMBER 12, 1764

      By:  Terri Jean

      Meditations with Native American Elders

      "I don't think that anybody anywhere can
      talk about the future of their people or of an
      organization without talking about
      education. Whoever controls the education
      of our children controls our future, the
      future of the Cherokee people and of the
      Cherokee Nation."
      -Wilma P. Mankiller, CHEROKEE

      The world has changed in the last 50 years. It
      will change even more in the next 50 years,
      and it will change even faster. We must educate
      ourselves to ensure our future generations
      will maintain the language and the culture of
      our people. We need to be concerned about
      our land because when our land goes away, so
      will our people. We need to be concerned
      about leadership, our families and about
      alcoholism. We need to be concerned about
      what's going on around the world. We can
      only do this by being educated. Then we can
      control our future.

      Great Spirit,
      please guide
      our children;