38688Today's Feast

  • Barbara Bailey
    Oct 28, 2007

      Why is it that we require so much scientific proof for the most ordinary things these days, when the very fact that we lie down and close our eyes at night is the highest proof that God's world is in order. Though perhaps our personal world may not know such sequence. There comes a time when our human limitations insist that we lay down our questions and accept by faith the only way to survive ourselves.

      There are those who say they must have tangible evidence that the world and all its wonders be displayed before their eyes to see in wisdom the way things really are. And yet who said the human eyes could see or ears could hear more than one tiny bit of the wonder. Who could be so bold as to believe their senses were strong enough to know, except through faith.

      Who could see with the visible eye the hand that changes the seasons, or hear Job's stars that sang together at dawn. Who set the day at rest and brings the morning in all its newness.

      Only so far....then explanations know no more....and though we try to disbelieve when all goes wrong, there comes a time when we want no more explanation than that God's world is in order - and we cannot change it.

      Surely if someone took our hand and asked us to walk along the world and view the wonders so magnificently displayed....If by some miracle we could see the vastness of it all at once, and still bear up under the beauty of it.....

      If we can see the rolling rise and fall of the land - the purple, pink, and golden hues of shadows hung along the mountain sides....If our ears could hear the music of the rippling streams, the rushing waters, the graceful falls.

      If by some mere chance we could sense the ebb and flow, the push and relaxing of the tides, the rise and set of the sun, the glittering stars and soft-faced moon that ignores the fact that other worlds encircle ours.....

      And as the seasons sprinkle rain and flowers, golden leaves and snowfall....On this continuous circle....always new....always beautiful....

      If we can see all this, how then, can ye doubt that the earth that God created and saw as good is good. This is our land, and only our own forgetfulness of its source can make it different.

      Joyce Sequichie Hifler

      365 Days of Walking the Red Road

      When this pipe touches your lip, may it
      operate as a blessing upon all my tribe.
      May the smoke rise like a cloud, and
      carry away with it all the animosities
      which have arisen between us.
      -BLACK THUNDER,
      FOX

      On This Date in
      Native American History

      October 28, 1871: In Edmonton, Alberta,
      Canada, indigenous people began a six-
      month sit-in at the Indian Affairs Office
      to protest the harsh conditions for chil-
      dren at reservation schools.

      By:  Terri Jean

      Elder's Meditation

      "Our religion seems foolish to you, but so does yours to me. The
      Baptists and Methodists and Presbyterians and the Catholics all have a different God. Why cannot we have one of our own?"
      --Sitting Bull, HUNKPAPA LAKOTA

      The Creator gave each culture a path to God. To the Indian people, he revealed that the Creator is in everything. Everything is alive with the Spirit of God. The water is alive. The trees are alive. The woods are alive. The mountains are alive. The wind is alive. The Great Spirit's breath is in everything and that's why it's alive. All of nature is our church, we eat with our families in church, we go to sleep in church.

      My Creator, let us leave people to worship You in the way You have taught them.

      By:  Don Coyhis

      Barbara A Bailey

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic