38480Today's Feast

  • Barbara Bailey
    Oct 15, 2007

      Some of us go to great lengths to keep
      from doing detail work--anything from flipping
      through a directory for one name in ten thousand
      to guessing at amounts in a recipe. No time, no
      time.
      Time isn't saved by guessing. Even when
      we hit it right once in a while--most of the time we
      are just a little off. How many of us take our basic
      instructions from hearsay--how many don't really
      want to know anyhow?
      Life itself has an instruction book. There's
      no reason to guess at what is right or wrong. We
      have a script for every part we play in life. When we
      have a need of any kind, the script has the wisdom
      to handle it. The Scriptures leave out nothing--and
      the biggest mistake we can make is to say we don't
      believe it--and go off to figure it out by guessing.

      We were put here by the Creator and these were our
      rights.

      CHIEF WENINOCK
      YAKIMA

      1855

      By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler

      Red Road Lesson 10
      Turtle Island

      Northern America has been called
      Turtle Island by many Native tribes
      for generations. The reference stems
      from a belief that the continent was
      placed upon the Great Turtle's back.
      Drawings of North America often depict
      the land as a turtle, and some use the
      tortoise as a representation of their
      tribes.

      Indians love their friends and kin-
      dred, and treat them with kindness.
      -CORNPLANTER
      SENECA, 1736-1836

      On This Date in
      Native American History

      October 15, 1925: The Vanishing Amer-
      ican, a controversial motion picture
      exploring the mismanagement and cor-
      ruption of reservations and how this
      affects the American Indian, premiered
      in New York City. This sympathetic
      view of indigenous people was not
      completely well received by the
      American public, and many debated
      not only the condition of the American
      Indian, but also what should be done
      with them.

      By:  Terri Jean

      In our language there is no word to
      say inferior or superiority or equality
      because we are all equal . . .
      -ALANIS OBOMSAWIN,
      ABENAKI

      Meditations with Native American Elders

      "All of us begin to rethink what is good
      about ourselves - put the past where it
      belongs - and get on with the possibilities
      of the present!"
      -Howard Rainer

      TAOS PUEBLO-CREEK

      There is a saying, you move toward and be-
      come that which you think about. So the ques-
      tion for today is, what are you thinking about?
      Are you thinking bad things about yourself or
      are you thinking good things about yourself?
      Are you thinking about a worldly life? Are you
      thinking good things about people or are you
      gossiping about people? Are you focusing on
      past things or are you living in the future?
      We need to bring our thoughts into the
      NOW,
      right here.
      Great Spirit,
                let me
                   experience
                 living in the
                 present
                 moment.

      By:  Don Coyhis

      True Path Walkers

      Obligations of the True Path Walkers

      To bring back the natural harmony that humans once enjoyed.
      To save the planet from present practices of destruction.
      To find and re-employ real truth.
      To promote true balance between both genders.
      To share and be less materialistic.
      To become rid of prejudice.
      To learn to be related.

      To be kind to animals and take no more than we need.
      To play with one's children and love each equally and fairly.
      To be brave and courageous, enough so,
      to take a stand and make a commitment.
      To understand what Generations Unborn really means.
      To accept the Great Mystery
      in order to end foolish argument over religion.

      May you experience each day as a sacred
      gift woven around the heart of wonder.
                   From My Heart,
                 © ~Barbara A Bailey~

      The National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
      "Improving Wildlife Care"

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic