37707Today's Feast

  • Barbara Bailey
    Aug 6, 2007

      When you are a child of the land you
      come to appreciate the moments of pleasure when
      the early morning sun gilds the tree trunks and
      throws shadows across the garden. And when
      evening comes with its cool shadows and nocturnal
      sounds you revel in your native ways.
      The woods at night ring with golden bells
      all blending in a joyous sound that is the locust
      chorus. And suddenly it all stops and for a brief
      moment there is total silence and then the high
      plaintive mewl of an owl. It is an evening concert
      and you are alone with it--except for those who
      lived on these wooded ridges and loved it too. The
      conductor is the hour that leads it all in a song of
      the heart.

      There is no other place for us.
      BLACKTOOTH
      1900

      By: Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      There is a special magic and holiness
      about the girl and woman. There are
      the bringers of life to the people, and
      the teachers of the little children.
      -SWEET MEDICINE,
      CHEYENNE

      On This Date in
      Native American History

      August 6, 1975: President Gerald Ford
      signed into law an act granting non-
      English-speaking citizens, including
      American Indians, the right to vote in
      more than one language.

      "We have to have one mind for the Four
      Directions. Until we reach that one mind,
      we cannot be filled with
      understanding....The Creator will not
      answer until you have just one mind, just
      like if you have one person."
      -Grandfather William Commanda
      ALGONQUIN

      The Elders have taught us to balance our lives
      emotionally, mentally, physically and spiritu-
      ally. If I am out of control emotionally, I get
      angry, doubtful or erratic, I am out of bal-
      lance. If I trigger bad mental pictures of my
      brothers and sisters, I am out of balance. If I
      get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired, I am
      out of balance physically. If I don't pray and
      talk to the Creator daily, I am out of balance
      spiritually. To be centered, I must be in bal-
      lance. The Creator talks to me in the quiet and
      still place. So if I get angry, what should I do
      first is to pause and get still so I can hear the
      guidance of the Grandfathers.

      Oh Great
      Spirit whose
      voice I hear in