Re: [yippies] NBC 4 - News - Protesters Call Lottery For Boardwalk Space 'Un-...

  • garyrumor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2005
      I still take a hike down the beach on weekends. It is one of the few places in the country where anyone can set up a table and hand out literature without being hassled as long as you arn't selling something you didn't make yourself. One spring I set up an Anarchist table and in a month of weekends I had a mailing list of over 200 people interested in forming a group. Its one of the best spots in the country. It is the 3rd most popular place to visit in LA. - Gary Rumor

      In a message dated 3/1/2005 4:01:19 PM Pacific Standard Time, mooshbush@... writes:
      Venice Beach used to be one of my hangouts

      Protesters Call Lottery For Boardwalk Space 'Un-Venice'

      Venice Considers Regulations For Boardwalk Vendors

      POSTED: 11:16 am PST March 1, 2005
      UPDATED: 12:15 pm PST March 1, 2005

      VENICE, Calif. -- Free speech advocates, artists, and performers protested Tuesday morning a plan they call "un-Venice."
      Images: Protesters Line Boardwalk

      The groups claim the Venice Beach Boardwalk lottery is "unfair, unnecessary and un-Venice." The lottery, which began this week, assigns spaces for vendors, artists and performers.

      Protesters said the lottery system invites more commercial activity at the expense of First Amendment freedoms. The Alliance for Survival, Food Not Bombs and the Venice Free Speech Zone Association sponsored the protest at the Sunset Avenue Pagoda.

      Until this week, boardwalk spaces were not regulated. City officials considered a free-for-all approach after receiving complaints about disputes regarding spaces.

      "It's gotten so terrible," said resident Scott Flanders. "People are coming out here at 12, 1 or 2 in the morning and sleeping out along this side to claim their territory on that side."

      The Los Angeles Police Department said it receives 20 complaints per week during the summer. During summer's peak, about 150,000 people visit the board per day.

      The boardwalk has 154 total spaces. During Saturday's first lottery, 94 applicants received spaces.

      "I don't want to be in this system," a protester told NBC4 News. "I'm participating under duress."

      Yahoo! Groups Links