LED lights for M100?

  • Denny
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 3, 2017

      I would like to replace my lights with LED replacements.

      Some articles I have read say resistors and diodes are required.

      Has anyone just replaced their lights with LEDs and found them to work?

      Thanks

      Denny Zamler
      Yellow 1991 Elan M100
      Florida

      Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
    • Peter Blackford
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 3, 2017
        Could be desirable due to the miserable dash illumination, and whether you need additional electronics will be determined by the manner in which the original lights are installed.
        If they are any type of 'normal' lamp (vs. wired into the circuit), then there is very likely a plug-in replacement which will need no additional consideration.
        Have to admit I don't do enough night driving in the M100 to have dug into this issue.  Lots of options on the 'net these days, but first step is to identify what you want to replace.
        Pete

        On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Denny DZ356@... [lotus-cars] <lotus-cars@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I would like to replace my lights with LED replacements.

        Some articles I have read say resistors and diodes are required.

        Has anyone just replaced their lights with LEDs and found them to work?

        Thanks

        Denny Zamler
        Yellow 1991 Elan M100
        Florida

        Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

      • Benjamin Levy
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 3, 2017
          On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Denny DZ356@... [lotus-cars]
          <lotus-cars@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > I would like to replace my lights with LED replacements.
          >
          > Some articles I have read say resistors and diodes are required.
          >
          > Has anyone just replaced their lights with LEDs and found them to work?

          I've never done it, but from what I've read, the turn signal flasher
          requires a certain minimum resistance for the flasher to work properly
          with LED bulbs, otherwise it'll flash rapidly (like you have a dead
          bulb). The easiest solution is to replace the flash unit with one
          that's designed to work with LEDs. Another solution is to add
          resistors to the turn signal wires for each of the LED bulbs.

          https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog/led-turn-signals-blinking-too-fast-hyperflashing/275/

          ---Ben
        • chimpvalet
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 3, 2017

            Hey Denny,

            There are a great many LED bulbs offered for sale but not all are worth a damn. I have converted all external lamps on my S2 Esprit to LED, finding the Philips X-treme Vision line of bulbs in 1156/1157 types to be a real upgrade in terms of brilliance over filament type. Other odd brand lamps purchased earlier were worthless in terms of output. As the car is currently off-road in a prolonged restoration process I cannot vouch for the bulbs in terms of longevity.

            More modern cars using some sort of solid-state circuits to indicate bulb fails may give false indications when LED are swapped in for filament. The Philips bulbs I purchased are shipped with resistors to be patched in when that situation arises.

            One very important point to note is that, owing to the way light production with LED's differs so greatly from how it's done with filament, one may find it necessary to effect a substantial adaptation effort in order to make any effective use of the LED's in a given lamp. In the best case, such as the T10 type for my side ( or wing to our Brit friends ) indicators there is no reflector in the lamp fixture so any good LED with 360 degree deployment of emitters works well. On the other hand all of the lamp sections in the Rover 3500 type units ( S2 and S3 ) and those in the Carello's fitted to S1 cars have reflectors with meaningful sensitivity to focal placement of the light source. If one examines these otherwise brilliant X-treme bulbs it will be clear that light emits from 2 LED's, one on either side of a strangely formed structure, and it was critical in my case that these bulbs were fitted to a particular depth within the lamp unit and also clocked correctly. This is altogether unlike the relative indifference to position found with filament bulbs in the same application.

            Cheers

            Steve

          • Peter Blackford
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 3, 2017
              Oh yes, the turn signals (thought he was asking about dash illumination, for some reason - maybe 'cause it's so poor on that car).
              All you need is a "heavy duty", or "electronic" flasher module - i.e., one which operates independent of load.
              It will be a three-terminal (vs. two terminal) device, as it will have a ground lead - as in, not grounded via the load.
              That's it.  Nothing else "special" for LED applications, as all those lamps will be 'plug in' and not need any additional circuitry.
              The usual local auto parts stores will have the flasher modules - maybe $8 or so...
              Pete

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 3, 2017
                One further note, now that we've "gone external":  when replacing lamps in the taillights (behind red lenses), DO use RED LEDs.
                They will produce the best light for two reasons:  (1) the "native color" of LEDs is red, and (2) red lenses allow only red light to pass through, so why add other colors which won't be transmitted anyway?

                I think this may be mentioned on the SuperBright site, but it's worth keeping in mind in any case.

                Pete

                On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 12:56 PM, chimpvalet@... [lotus-cars] <lotus-cars@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

              • john greeven

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 3, 2017
                    Pete,
                    Have you found any bulbs that improve dashboard light brightness?
                    Have found halogens too hot and all leds so far did not improve brightness?
                    Chuck

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 4, 2017
                      As stated earlier, I've noticed the problem but not dug into it.  Agree that halogens would be a bad idea.
                      Have you identified the correct physical lamp size?  If so, look at the SuperBright site and see what they offer.
                      As another also observed, there are still a lot of junk LEDs out there...

                      Pete

                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 4, 2017
                        I talked with SuperBright and they have nothing with the small screw base.
                        Chuck

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 4, 2017

                          A buddy recently fitted LED's to his Austin-Healy and was pleased with the result though it seemed more to be a matter of coping with the weak output of his generator at idle. Can't vouch further at the moment but will attach the link to the specialist vendor in the UK.

                          Cheers

                          Steve

                          https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/

                        • Peter Blackford
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 4, 2017
                            Screw-base lamps in an automobile?  Wonder if we can blame GM, Isuzu or Lotus for that bone-headed design decision....

                            Can you share the lamp size #?

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 4, 2017
                                  Hi Steve,
                                  Thanks there may be something there that will work and will give it a try. My car has no switch to dim or brighten the dash lights so try to avoid driving at night as so dim. Have tried several other leds and found no improvement.
                                  Thanks for the lead!
                                  Chuck

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 4, 2017
                                    I imagine it was probably a relative of the "Prince of Darkness"?
                                    Chuck

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 4, 2017
                                      I made the mistake of using halogens and melted the wires to the sockets, fun replacement job.
                                      Have to come clean and admit they are for my TVR!
                                      Chuck

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      On Nov 4, 2017, at 2:16 PM, john greeven jcgreeven@... [lotus-cars] <lotus-cars@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      I'm a big fan of using LED substitute bulbs but... some of mine appear to add a lot of electrical noise to the power system, at least in the 1960s electrical system. This caused a lot of noise coming through the old AM radio... Unlikely to be an issue for most people.

                                      On Nov 4, 2017 9:27 AM, "chimpvalet@... [lotus-cars]" <lotus-cars@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      A buddy recently fitted LED's to his Austin-Healy and was pleased with the result though it seemed more to be a matter of coping with the weak output of his generator at idle. Can't vouch further at the moment but will attach the link to the specialist vendor in the UK.

                                      Cheers

                                      Steve

                                      https://www.classiccarleds.co. uk/

                                    • Tvrdetroit
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 5, 2017
                                        Attached picture of led bulbs tried so far and size.Neither one helped.
                                        Have sent with note to company and will let you know reply.
                                        My S4S went a few years ago unfortunately, found rearward vision with spoiler troublesome and back did not take kindly to getting in and out. Did love it though!

                                        Chuck

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 5, 2017
                                            If you can't find replacement LED bulbs for the M100 instruments, I
                                            have an idea. Looking at photos of the M100 dash, it looks like it's
                                            recessed. Would it be possible add some bulbs to the underside of the
                                            dash pad that point at the speedo and tach?
                                            ---Ben
                                          • Chuck Linn