new here

  • eethomas626
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2010
      Hey all, I'm glad I found this group because I believe I have IU but can't really get any straight answers from my doctor. After a weekend of a lot of braxton hicks I went to my doctor and he gave me some procardia to take as needed. Sometimes I find that I'm not having what are actual BH as I notice them but I have long periods of tightness, like one BH that lasts for 30 mins. Sometimes it hits when I'm just sitting, sometimes when I'm walking around for awhile. I did tell my doctor about this and he really doesn't seem concerned. He does have me spending a lot of time just resting. I guess I'm just really worried that I'm at a really high risk of pre-term labor. As a first timer all these new feelings and body changes are brand new to me. I'm also on progesterone suppositories and I'm almost 24 weeks along. (wanted to make sure to mention those things) I guess I'm looking for support, similar experiences, and some peace of mind. Thanks to everyone!
    • Lisa Christianson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2010
        Welcome to the group!

        I can only speak for myself, by my doctor's with this and the last pregnancy weren't too worried.  The first pregnancy was in Florida and I went to the hospital 3 times - each time they did an FFN (fetal fibronectin test), once with terbutaline (wouldn't take that again!) and one (if I recall correctly) stress test.  This pregnancy I'm in California and they just say not to worry.  I went full term with #1 and they believe it'll be the same with this one.

        What I have learned is that no one really understands this and they don't know how to predict who will go pre-term and who won't.  Depending on the doctor/hospital you go to, some do the FFN test, some terbutaline, some procardia, some 17P.... I'm sure I'm missing other drugs that have been prescribed.

        For me, resting helps a lot - both for frequency and duration of the contractions.  I've had them as frequently as every 8 mins and usually they're more like every 20 mins apart on average.  Sometimes I get the "rock hard" uterus - less with this pregnancy than the last one.  This time around, the contractions hurt worse and last longer.  They tell me if I'm not seeing blood/fluid or if the contractions aren't rhythmic and getting closer, that I'm probably ok.  (don't ya just love the certainty!)

        I'm 33w2d so the fear gets less everyday I get closer to 34 weeks and 37 weeks.  I started my countdown right about the same time as you're at - all the milestone dates... 25 wks, 30 wks, 34 wks and 37 wks.

        Good luck with everything and keep us posted!  Most people don't understand what it's like to be going through this so we're here to listen and offer support!  If it's really bad - have them watch your cervix.  They don't seem to get really nervous until your cervix shortens or dialates and try to take it as easy as possible!

        p.s.  I do have a question out there for the c-section mommies.... did you experience a buring/pulling feeling in the area of your scar on any post c-section pregnancies?  The hospital told me this was normal - but now I find myself somewhat more concerned about rupture than pre-term.