Hi....newbie here with loads of questions.....

  • jenniepeddy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2009
      Just a little background about me....this is my 3rd pregnancy, but I
      have no living children at home. My first ended in miscarriage at
      12 wks; my second resulted in a beautiful baby boy (Hewitt) who was
      born via vaginal delivery after just 22 wks gestation. He had
      triploidy (rare chromosome abnormality) and only lived for 2
      precious hours. After having Hewitt I experienced a lot of medical
      problems and was dx with interstitial cystitis ("IC" aka painful
      bladder syndrome) and pelvic floor dysfunction. I was also dx with
      secondary infertility. A year after Hewitt's birth/death, my hubby
      and I started trying for another baby. After receiving the
      infertility dx we were discouraged, but found out we were pregnant
      again 5 days before we were supposed to meet with a IVF dr. We were
      even more surprised to find out at our first sonogram that we were
      having twins! (Found out later we are having b/g twins!!)

      This pregnancy started out rather uneventful. At about 16wks we
      thought my IC was getting much worse as I was experiencing severe
      menstrual cramps (IC pain feels really severe menstrual cramps).
      Everyone chalked up the cramps to the IC and I was told there was
      nothing they could do. At 25wks, the cramps got much worse -- the
      pain was an 8 of 10. My dr didn't think I was in labor as my fFN
      test had been negative, but told me to go to L&D just in case. Once
      they hooked me up to the machine it was clear this wasn't just IC
      pain...I was having at least 25-30 "baby contractions" an hour with
      a few bigger contractions thrown into the mix. I was immediately
      given nifedipine, some kind of ibuprofen, etc. They never admitted
      me, but I was in triage for more than 12 hours trying various combos
      of meds. I was sent home on modified bed rest and told to take the
      nifedipine (20mg) every 4 hours. A week later the dose was
      increased to every 3 hours. Once the contractions were under
      control, I had no IC symptoms. :-)

      Over the last 5 weeks I have had good days and bad days. I was
      released from bed rest at 28wks and told I could resume my
      activities as long as the contractions didn't get worse -- yeah
      right. I have essentially had to remain on bedrest, drinking tons
      of water, and still been taking the nifedipine every 3 hrs. If I
      try to go shopping or to the office (trying to resume activities) I
      pay for it for at least a day or two...if not more. Now at 30wks,
      the nifedipine is not working as well as it used to. Instead of
      essentially having very little issues while on the meds, now I am
      having a lot of menstrual like pain despite the meds. So far my fFN
      tests have come up negative and my cervix is still closed. (They
      stopped measuring it at 24wks, but it had been very long the whole
      time...3.6 or higher)

      Has anyone else been on nifedipine and it just stopped working? And
      what did their dr do? Anyone been put on terbutaline or mag
      sulfate...even when their cervix wasn't changing? And, is it
      supposed to be this painful? (Many a day I would give anything to
      have an epi for just a few hours to get out of this pain!) Anyone
      been dx with irritable uterus and delivered super early? I am so
      nervous for my twins right now....I want to make it to at least
      34wks.

      Sorry this is so long. I am so glad I am not the only one with
      these issues. I don't exactly fit into the preterm labor category
      (since no cervix changes), but contractions have to be somewhat
      strong since they appear on the machines and there are so many of
      them. Very frustrating!

      Thanks in advance for all the advice, info and support.
      Jenn
    • CYap9902@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 27, 2009
        Hi Jenn,

        I am sorry that you have gone through so much, but I am glad that you found us. I have never been on nifedipine. I was put on Mag. sulfate for a day after my water broke at 30 weeks. My baby came the next day. She is going to be 5 years-old in March.

        I was on bedrest with my second and I did not take any meds. The pain does not go away. I felt that my belly became a ball of rock. I felt that after while, I kind of got used to it, i.e., I don't know otherwise. The psychological and physical stress, however, were more insidious. I don't think I was a nice person to be living with during that time. My son came at 36 weeks. I just always joked that I am a pro in taking shorter route when giving birth.

        My experience is just to stay calm at this point. If you have the cramps like we do.. there is nothing you can do. Constantly thinking of getting off the pain, unfortunately, does not help either because the pain is here to stay till your babies are out. As long as there is no cervical change, then I believe you don't have anything to worry about. My advice is stay put and vent as much as you like with us. We have all been through this and will totally understand how you feel.

        My two cents...

        Keep up the good work.

        CC

        In a message dated 1/27/2009 7:51:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jenniepeddy@... writes:
        Has anyone else been on nifedipine and it just stopped working? And
        what did their dr do? Anyone been put on terbutaline or mag
        sulfate...even when their cervix wasn't changing? And, is it
        supposed to be this painful? (Many a day I would give anything to
        have an epi for just a few hours to get out of this pain!) Anyone
        been dx with irritable uterus and delivered super early? I am so
        nervous for my twins right now....I want to make it to at least
        34wks.

        Sorry this is so long. I am so glad I am not the only one with
        these issues. I don't exactly fit into the preterm labor category
        (since no cervix changes), but contractions have to be somewhat
        strong since they appear on the machines and there are so many of
        them. Very frustrating!

        From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in between, stay up-to-date with the latest news.
      • tinahosko
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 28, 2009
          Hi Jenn,

          So sorry that you are going through this. I had crazy IU with my son
          beginning at 16 weeks. Once I hit 23 weeks I was having contractions
          every 10 minutes. At that point I was put on Procardia (Nifedipine)
          every 4 hours and bed rest. The meds did not stop the contractions at
          all. Once I was 32 weeks I was contracting every 2-3 minutes until
          delivery, which happened at 36 weeks-the day after I went off the
          meds. The Procardia did not lessen the amount of contractions I had
          but I think it reduced the intensity. My cervix stayed long and
          closed until the day I delivered, despite the millions of
          contractions.

          Good luck and feel free to email me if you need support. IU
          pregnancies are soooooooo hard!

          Tina
          tinahosko@...

          --- In lotsofcontractions@yahoogroups.com, "jenniepeddy"