Balrog - Durin's Bane

  • BondServant
    Message 1 of 416 , Feb 2, 2001
      I am reading the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit
      again for the first time. Specifically, I am doing this
      for the aesthetic developement that Tolkien
      uses.<br><br>I have two questions. First, what is a balrog, the
      creature that they escaped from (excepting Gandalf) at the
      gates exiting Moria. I know that this is the "Durin's
      Bane" that Gimli and Gandalf speak of regarding the
      search for mithril, that the dwarves unearth. Is there
      any other background to such a creature that Tolkien
      drew from for this creature, and what is the nature of
      the creature itself beyond what is clearly stated in
      the book?<br><br>In light of that question, I have
      been looking for some time for a
      dictionary/encyclopedia of fantasy lore. I am not looking for one that
      merely covers Tolkien and middle earth, but rather is
      more general in nature. Any suggestions would be
    • shahab82001
      Message 416 of 416 , Feb 25, 2002
        so why should anybody join this club??